Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2003, 09:19 PM   #1
ocelot
Dungeon Master

Kinda upset I can't play X2 WOLVERINES REVENGE here. I purchased it and it Say's I need a 3D application, here we go again Upgrade this, upgrade that...(thought I had one)

How would I add a 3d card without being laughed at when it doesn't work.
Should I disconnect my machine and take it to Comp USA or this easy enough to install myself. What kind should I get? Help??
Old 05-18-2003, 09:44 PM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

You need a 3D application?? Are you sure it said that? Never seen that message before. As for 3D graphics cards - I haven't even seen a PC that ships without a 3D graphics card for at least 3 or 4 years - that is unless you bought a barebone system that only supplies the case, motherboard and CPU.

How do you add a 3D card? You errr, open your computer's case and plug it into the AGP or PCI slot. Definitely easy to install yourself.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-18-2003, 09:59 PM   #3
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by ocelot:
Kinda upset I can't play X2 WOLVERINES REVENGE here. I purchased it and it Say's I need a 3D application, here we go again Upgrade this, upgrade that...(thought I had one) How would I add a 3d card without being laughed at when it doesn't work.
Should I disconnect my machine and take it to Comp USA or this easy enough to install myself. What kind should I get? Help??
What kind of PC are you runnning? What is your current video card?

If you could provide more information, it would be much easier. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2003, 10:02 PM   #4
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

what model computer do you have and does it have an AGP slot where the 3D accelerator goes on your mother board. You will need to contact the manufacturer to find out. Most computers made in the past 4 years have an AGP slot but some of the low end units don't have them. If you can let us know what model and type of computer you have and we will find out for you at least I will look up your computer and find out what mother board you have and weather or not it has an AGP slot and then you can make the choice of which 3D accelerator card you want to buy.
It's easy to install the 3D card and they all come with a driver load disk that you just follow the instructions as it runs and bam you have 3D.

[ 05-18-2003, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 05-18-2003, 10:28 PM   #5
ocelot
Dungeon Master

Sorry for the blip, I just came back from trying to install it once again

"No 3d hardware found- you need a 3d graphics accelertor. I have TNT2 m64 so it says. I changed my settings is anything different in my fonts? It sure looks different from here but still no game. I will try again but tommorrow. Sony 1.70
400 MHz
4XAGP nVidia TNT2 M64

Any ideas beyond what is posted will be helpful, and thanks IW Ironworker's.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:18 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hmm.. a nvidia tnt2 M64 is a video card before the gforce series right? i think the later games require a better video card than that.. i think..

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-19-2003, 04:49 AM   #7
andrewas
Harper

TNT2 is the same generation as the Voodoo banshee - IE well obsolete. Although not as bad as the voodoo would be. From your system, I would say to upgrade the whole thing. Id be surprised if many modern games will run with a CPU that slow.

If you want to build a new machine for yourself (easier than it sounds)get a ASUS A7N8X motherboard, an athlonXP CPU, as fast as possible, 512MB of DDR SDRAM PC2700 (or more), and a geforce4 Ti or better. That combination will run anything and is not too expensive. A P4 based system will be more powerful, but is more expensive.

Otherwise, it may just be possible to run a faster CPU in your current system, but you wont be able to speed it up much, and it may be impossible to find chips of that type any more. Youll need to go through your system manual to find out how much you can push it.