Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 04:18 PM   #11
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

i know that mexicans and puerto ricans have different dialects so i can imagine it is like that everywhere. even aussies descended from british speak differently.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:51 PM   #12
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyro:
Well, I agree that British English is more correct since it came first, but since the U.S. is a melting pot (or it's supposed to be at least) there are many people here that speak other languages, 'American' wouldn't really be a fair term.....if you know what I mean...
Can nay understan' tha queens English these buggas.

Personally I don't think there is any 'proper' English. If someone from New Orleans spoke to someone from Darlington, neither would have a clue what the other was saying, but both dialects are very expressive means of communication. I like regional accents and dialects (except Reading accents, which are indicitive of a poor upbringing, and generations of prolific inbreeding). It's a shame that regional mannerisms are being replaced with homogenous generic slang, just because young people watch to much tv.

[ 10-05-2004, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Dirty Meg ]
Old 10-06-2004, 04:39 AM   #13
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I wasn't trying to make a point, Arvon, I was just curious if others agreed/disagreed, whatever.

What she took from this was to tell us about how when an audience is waiting for a speaker to speak, they already have preconcieved notions about the person. And then when they talk, if they have a british type accent, people tend to think they're more intelligent just because thats the way the accent sounds, ect.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:16 AM   #14
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Dron_Cah:
. I can barely understand anything in the British "poppy-cock." That's what it's called, isn't it? If not, doesn't matter! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
What????
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 10-06-2004, 09:36 AM   #15
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Well Ive never heard anuone say "they speak american" so I suppose I disagree, but I agree with Dron_cah on the whole "poppy cock" thing [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2004, 10:28 AM   #16
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Blue03:
I wasn't trying to make a point, Arvon, I was just curious if others agreed/disagreed, whatever.

What she took from this was to tell us about how when an audience is waiting for a speaker to speak, they already have preconcieved notions about the person. And then when they talk, if they have a british type accent, people tend to think they're more intelligent just because thats the way the accent sounds, ect.
Well, perhaps to some or most people, that would be the case because Britain does have good educational schools and programs. Or maybe they think they just sound more sophisticated, I don't know.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:54 AM   #17
Absynthe

Interesting observation LB, I work with a guy from England who's been in the states for a few years, and we discuss regional linguistics and etymology sometimes. As I understand it, the dialects in England are quite distinct from one area to another as Attalus referred to, although they're becoming more homogenized. There's certainly some pride of place for the originators of a language, like Spain v S. America or England v America.
Although some would say American english is an off shoot of British english and therefore not as pure or true to form, it's also in some cases more widely understandable. For example, english as spoken in the Pacific Northwest is the most widely understandable dialect of english, as it is the least accented and regionalized of the American dialects. National newscasters model their speech after it.
It's interesting to note the changes that are propagated via the web, television, movies, etc. and the way some countries work to maintain their lingual integrity. I think France has some laws concerning the introduction of new words into their language... anyone have more knowledge of that?

Old 10-06-2004, 11:26 AM   #18
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

LB, I guess you have missed some of my posts on this forum where I have been begging for help from people. I speak the Latin American Spanish fluently enough that I can trick some native speakers into thinking I am also native...but I am in UNCG right now, and all my professors are from Spain! They do not like the way I speak, even though all my classmates revere me as a god in class. I cannot appease the appetite of those Castillian Spaniards at all, and am having a difficult time in class for it.

I know a lady from Spain in my church where I actually attend a Latin-American run branch of our church. She lives here because she married an American. Several times...and I swear SEVERAL...she has had to ask for a translation form Spanish to Spanish because the words just don't line up for her in "Mexican-talk". It is the craziest thing, but very real.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:07 PM   #19
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Larry, maybe you have noticed this. Mexican spainish spoken by Mexicans sounds very sing-songy. It's not just that the words are different, but it's a tempo and cadence to how they talk, with vocal upturns at the end of phrases and other techniques used. It's readily identifiable by Castillian speakers.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:16 PM   #20
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

I learned Spanish in Caracas, and can (and do) pass for a native Venezuelan on the phone.

That said, I'd never taken any Spanish classes until this year -- thought I'd get an easy minor -- and have a ridiculous time getting my teachers to understand me.

The couple of native Colombians in the class understand me perfectly, but the Mexican kid doesn't and neither does the PR girl very well.

*edit* atrocious spelling

[ 10-06-2004, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: aleph_null1 ]