Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2001, 01:37 PM   #71
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Harkoliar, hmm, to clear my opinions here

I am more focusing on how live people should react to events, other than predict, or control in your case, what events come to their lives next

by controlling thoughts, feelings, we control who we are, we make who we are, and we are where we are by that choice

a disastor can mean an opportunity at the same time.

go back to the beggars:
there could be many reasons why they are poor. a fire burnt his house, but it is how he reacted to that problem guided his life after that fateful event. (I am being overly simplistic here, but if you look carefully, it is true)

you trust some blindly, and he cheated all your money away. why did you trust him in the first place? how did he get your bank account number?
and even after that, you can choose to feel hurt the rest of your life, or you can choose to learn

your child died from an accident: choose to live in depression the rest of your life. or choose to let go that feeling and make your own life better

you were picked on pretty badly in childhood because you were talented, and you think you are not worthy, well. you choose to believe you are not worthy, you choose to believe you deserved being picked on, you choose not to see the truth of those bad people

you are intelligent, and is among the tiny portion of the population. you can choose to feel lonely, and choose to feel being insulted when people express their disbelief in your intelligence. or you can choose to use your brain constructively to create happiness

you are born with disablity, that is an easy example, no need to discuss here. I have a web page made by a child who could not walk, with only one hand, cannot talk... I can feel her attitude of life just by reading what she wrote... tears wet my eyes

you are born ugly... com'on, time to celebrate you are alive, healthy and has a family!

you are a stuter, well, choose to stay home then, choose to not interact with people, choose to shut yourself off, choose to ....

you are preganant after a night with your boyfriend... wise choice
how you deal with that? still, your life in your hand to make, CHOOSE!

you are divoced. did you observe the potental problems in marriage? have you being too weak to stand up and say "NO!" to your relationship?

you are having problems with your parents. did you not ignore them for 30 years? did you not spend every weekend in your office instead of going to their house and see them? did you actually know your mother injured her back after falling from the stairs? did you actually know it was your fault because you told her the week before you would fix the stairs?

your child hates you. well, where were you when they heard your promise to play baseball with them? did you know your son has a football game on friday? did you know your daughter was going out with 3 guys?

by whose choices you are where you are? YOU
Old 10-06-2001, 01:45 PM   #72
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

again, Mel, where are you when I presented my opinions? challenge them instead of what kind person I am

well, good luck
Old 10-06-2001, 01:47 PM   #73
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
again, Mel, where are you when I presented my opinions? challenge them instead of what kind person I am

well, good luck

Again, where did I challenge what kind of person you are? What have I been doing for the last friggin half hour then? I thought I *was* defending my own opinions against yours....but that must have been just me then

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 10-06-2001, 01:48 PM   #74
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

(I do agree that a positive stance can make all the difference, I didn't agree that you can always choose to find a way out, because sometimes there isn't one)
Dr Waco's example is already pretty extreme
you have not given me one example that can possibly outweight the burden he had endured and went through, so what situation is "no way" out? hmm?
Old 10-06-2001, 01:50 PM   #75
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:

Again, where did I challenge what kind of person you are? What have I been doing for the last friggin half hour then? I thought I *was* defending my own opinions against yours....but that must have been just me then

if you did not challenge that, then Lord Shield did

this is exactly what I am talking about here, this VERY post of yours is wasting both your and my energy, because it is not directed to my opinion. if you really have the guts, then ignore THIS post and get on to the business

Old 10-06-2001, 01:53 PM   #76
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Dr Waco's example is already pretty extreme
you have not given me one example that can possibly outweight the burden he had endured and went through, so what situation is "no way" out? hmm?

*curses* jeeses!! How can you even pretend to know about that sort of extreme situations??? Have you ever experienced something like that??? No? Then why do you presume you KNOW what they are about???
You know why Dr Waco is still known?? Because he is one of the few who managed to survive that kind of thing, but NOT through choice! The people who just gave up after going through similar experiences aren't going to get glorified, but that doesn't mean they never existed! And it CERTAINLY doesn't mean they didn't make it through weakness of character or making the wrong choices. Don't you think it typical human arrogance to assert that a human being can conquer all? That's just not true - I wish it were so.

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 10-06-2001, 01:55 PM   #77
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Origianlly Posted by Melusine
Yes, that was exactly what I was trying to say, thanks for paraphrasing it better!
(I do agree that a positive stance can make all the difference, I didn't agree that you can always choose to find a way out, because sometimes there isn't one)

no prob!

LOL - I was going to ask you about Hark - but in Dutch, it denotes a certain gardening tool...hehe, Har it is then

Hardy Har Har didnt know that Hark is just a tool ,thanks for that 2c...

to ALL ,
as much fun as it is now debating with all of you guys right now, i feel that its wwwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyy past my bedtime and im really sleepy. my original post is long gone and i think i should start anew with that kind of topic and change this title of the thread to Lord Shield, Neb, Melusine and 250, thanks for this interesting debate, i will come back later ,8 hrs from now, to check on the progress of this debate (if you guys are still up to it by then. hehe!). as i said earlier, i dont mind a debate among you guys, i just want to make sure that it doesnt go into a full-rage debating match, so lets just keep it "civilized" or "polite" PLEASE? . gudnyt

ps: one last post
Originally posted by 250
Harkoliar, hmm, to clear my opinions here
I am more focusing on how live people should react to events, other than predict, or control in your case, what events come to their lives next

by controlling thoughts, feelings, we control who we are, we make who we are, and we are where we are by that choice

a disastor can mean an opportunity at the same time.

go back to the beggars:
there could be many reasons why they are poor. a fire burnt his house, but it is how he reacted to that problem guided his life after that fateful event. (I am being overly simplistic here, but if you look carefully, it is true)

you trust some blindly, and he cheated all your money away. why did you trust him in the first place? how did he get your bank account number?
and even after that, you can choose to feel hurt the rest of your life, or you can choose to learn

your child died from an accident: choose to live in depression the rest of your life. or choose to let go that feeling and make your own life better

you were picked on pretty badly in childhood because you were talented, and you think you are not worthy, well. you choose to believe you are not worthy, you choose to believe you deserved being picked on, you choose not to see the truth of those bad people

you are intelligent, and is among the tiny portion of the population. you can choose to feel lonely, and choose to feel being insulted when people express their disbelief in your intelligence. or you can choose to use your brain constructively to create happiness

you are born with disablity, that is an easy example, no need to discuss here. I have a web page made by a child who could not walk, with only one hand, cannot talk... I can feel her attitude of life just by reading what she wrote... tears wet my eyes

you are born ugly... com'on, time to celebrate you are alive, healthy and has a family!

you are a stuter, well, choose to stay home then, choose to not interact with people, choose to shut yourself off, choose to ....

you are preganant after a night with your boyfriend... wise choice
how you deal with that? still, your life in your hand to make, CHOOSE!

you are divoced. did you observe the potental problems in marriage? have you being too weak to stand up and say "NO!" to your relationship?

you are having problems with your parents. did you not ignore them for 30 years? did you not spend every weekend in your office instead of going to their house and see them? did you actually know your mother injured her back after falling from the stairs? did you actually know it was your fault because you told her the week before you would fix the stairs?

your child hates you. well, where were you when they heard your promise to play baseball with them? did you know your son has a football game on friday? did you know your daughter was going out with 3 guys?

by whose choices you are where you are? YOU

isnt is what i just said where in.. (on what i understood so far) that positive attitude about a certain event will help change yourself to a positive effect

what is the difference? from what i have posted?

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...

[This message has been edited by Harkoliar (edited 10-06-2001).]
Old 10-06-2001, 01:56 PM   #78
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
if you did not challenge that, then Lord Shield did

this is exactly what I am talking about here, this VERY post of yours is wasting both your and my energy, because it is not directed to my opinion. if you really have the guts, then ignore THIS post and get on to the business

LOL, follow your own advice then!
I am not the same person as Lord Shield, so if you accuse me of insulting you whereas it actually was Lord Shield, I have every right to point out that gact to you. That's not offending you, if anything, it's the other way round because you falsely accused me.

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 10-06-2001, 01:57 PM   #79
Lord Shield

250, why not listen to your own advice? I f***ing well did NOT attack your character, nor did Mel, so don't slam US for doing so

And, as I said, Dr Waco was an extreme character. There is no way you could expect EVERYBODY to react the same way he did

------------------
Lord Raptor's Site

Ironworks Dark General
BG2 Tavern Keeper
King of Pointlessness

Old 10-06-2001, 02:02 PM   #80
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:

*curses* jeeses!! How can you even pretend to know about that sort of extreme situations??? Have you ever experienced something like that??? No? Then why do you presume you KNOW what they are about???
You know why Dr Waco is still known?? Because he is one of the few who managed to survive that kind of thing, but NOT through choice! The people who just gave up after going through similar experiences aren't going to get glorified, but that doesn't mean they never existed! And it CERTAINLY doesn't mean they didn't make it through weakness of character or making the wrong choices. Don't you think it typical human arrogance to assert that a human being can conquer all? That's just not true - I wish it were so.

see, you are plau]ying the "what-if" game again.

not through choices? how so?
you think it is human arrogance that one can conquer all, but I think it is weakness that to accept one cannot control his own life.

you think he lived through NOT by choice? well, is it not a common thing for person who lost ALL his loved ones, and being imprisoned, to just finish his life? or give up the hope to live? that very action is a choice. if not, then what is it? acting impusively? well that is a choice too

if it was not by his own choice, he lived through, then what was it? luck?
well, you see, two people
one is Dr Waco, who is extremely determined to surive. live a cautious live, disciplined to control his emotions
one is someone random, he gave up his hope to live. just went through day by day. so who has a better CHANCE of survival?
when the same chance presents, who would have a better odd to graspe it and possibly escape danger? the one who is determined, who choose to act the way he does.

got it? it is by choice he lived through