Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

I received a message in my e-mail about having to confirm with Time Warner Cable that I understood that in the event of a power outage, my phone would be unable to dial 9-1-1. I also had to confirm that I understood that if I changed homes, I could not take my modem with me, but that they'd have to set me up with a new modem in order for 9-1-1 to operate properly.

I did not believe that the e-mail was authentic, so called my ISP. It was verified, and they said that a letter was also in circulation.

What I just now learned with this CNN report is that the FCC was forcing this to happen, and had a deadline of this Tuesday...or the phone would get cut off. They have since extended it to September 28. Therefore, if you use digital phone or internet phone...you must prove you understand this 9-1-1 deal, or risk getting suspended until which time you acknowledge their FCC-enforced message.

[ 08-28-2005, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 08-28-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I decided not to get VOIP for this very reason - I thought I'd hold off till they'd sorted all this out before signing up. It's a bit of a CYA exercise to make sure the FCC don't get sued if someone dies because they couldn't call 911.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hey Memnoch, here is the funny thing about it all. See, I use what they are calling the "digital phone", where I use my regular phones, but it is powered from my cable modem that then converts to the regular phone lines down the path. Somehow...I am able to call all of US and Canada for free and they promise that they are working on Mexico at this time.

Anyway, the modem has a battery back-up. There are two slots for a battery, but only one comes with the modem. That lasts for 8-10 hours after my UPS dies. Here is the problem...I called my ISP and requested a battery for the second slot, but they told me they don't have any to sell. I called the manufacturer of the modem and they told me that they are not allowed to sell me one, that I'd have to talk to my ISP. I called my ISP again and they said that they had none to sell, so I asked them to buy one and charge me. They did not have a policy in place for something like that.

If they are concerned about 9-1-1 working well, then give us a second battery so that we can have 16-20 hours of battery life instead of 8-10 for peat sakes!