Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2003, 09:15 AM   #21
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Isn't that the Rhineland? I have a friend from there. Was going to point her to Ironworks today anyway.
It's in a place called Bruhl, if i remember correctly. I believe Steffi Graf is from there too.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:20 AM   #22
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Close, i was in Fantasialand once, that's near cologne, right ?
No I think that's near the Pirates of the Carribean!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-20-2003, 10:32 AM   #23
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Close, i was in Fantasialand once, that's near cologne, right ?
Correct, the Phantasialand, one of Germany's biggest amusement parks, is located in Brühl, a city between Cologne and Bonn, which is also famous for its two magnificent Rococo palaces, Augustusburg and Falkenlust, which used to be two of the sites most frequently shown to visiting foreign dignitaries back in the days when Bonn was still the seat of the government of the Federal Republic of Germany.

Source:http://www.schlossbruehl.de
Quote:
UNESCO-Cultural World Heritage since 1984
The palaces Augustusburg and Falkenlust in Brühl (Rhineland)

A Rococo Masterpiece
The Augustusburg Palace in Brühl

Schloss Augustusburg Brühl

Augustusburg was the favourite residence of the elector and archbishop of Cologne, Clemens August of Wittelsbach (1700–1761). This rococo masterpiece is one of the most significant buildings of its kind in Germany.

In 1725, Clemens August commissioned the Westphalian master-builder Johann Conrad Schlaun with the construction of the palace on the ruins of a medieval moated castle.

From 1728 onwards, the Bavarian court master-builder, François de Cuvilliés was responsible for turning Augustusburg into one of the most outstanding residences of its time. Famous artists known throughout Europe worked on the palace until its completion in 1768. One of the most noteworthy of these artists was Balthasar Neumann, who designed the ceremonial staircase. This exceptional creation is both elegant and innovative. By bringing together architecture, ornamentation, painting and horticulture, a comprehensive work of art was created which is a fine example of the German rococo period.

This was taken into consideration by UNESCO in 1984. Since then Augustusburg, the Hunting Lodge Falkenlust and the palace gardens were added to this organisation's cultural world heritage list.

For many decades after 1949, Augustusburg was used for representational purposes by the German President and Government.

The baroque garden was created from 1728 onwards by Dominique Girard according to French tradition. Thanks to expert restoration and care, it is today one of the most authentic examples of an 18th century European garden. From 1840 onwards, Peter Joseph Lenné designed the surrounding woodlands. These woodlands, which still today provide pleasant opportunities for recreational walks, resemble English country gardens.

The state of North Rhine-Westphalia sees to the upkeep of the palace so that its international status can be maintained. In so doing, both Augustusburg and the Hunting Lodge Falkenlust, can continue to be open to the public.
Quote:
It's in a place called Bruhl, if i remember correctly. I believe Steffi Graf is from there too.
Yes, Steffi Graf hails from Brühl, but that happens to be another city of identical name near Karlsruhe in Baden, in the southwest of Germany.

Quote:
Isn't that the Rhineland? I have a friend from there. Was going to point her to Ironworks today anyway.
Well, the last time I checked, and that would be today at noonish when I crossed the bridge on my way home from work, the Rhine was still there.

But see for yourself:

As for your friend: keep pointing away, I am eager for every new member whose English might be worse than mine! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Sorry, everyone, that is probably much more information than you ever cared for, but you brought that hardship upon yourselves - if unsuspectingly so: While the modern Germans are among the least patriotic nations there is, we inhabitants of Cologne tend to be fervent regional/local patriot.

[ 05-20-2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Ramon de Ramon y Ramon ]
So long !<br /><br />R³ aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 05-20-2003, 10:40 AM   #24
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Oh, not all Germans are unpatriotic...you should see my cousin...or rather, hear him...
Old 05-20-2003, 10:46 AM   #25
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Ramon, Ramon and Ramon, my friend's English is flawless *Points and laughs*

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:54 AM   #26
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Shoot! [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] ... :madashell: Gimme her address and I'll go kill her!

PS.: My friends may call me R³, I've been told that is much more convenient.
So long !<br /><br />R³ aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 05-20-2003, 10:56 AM   #27
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by slicer15:
Oh, not all Germans are unpatriotic...you should see my cousin...or rather, hear him...
In that case, I'd much rather not hear him.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:00 AM   #28
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
quote:
Shoot! [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] ... :madashell: Gimme her address and I'll go kill her!

PS.: My friends may call me R³, I've been told that is much more convenient.
[/QUOTE]Not if you don't have a little cubed symbol on your keyboard *Performs karate stance* I will protect my mate!

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:08 AM   #29
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Now that you have me thoroughly intimidated with your karate antics and to accommodate for your keyboard's inadequacy, I will grant you the special privilege to just call me: Ramon. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-20-2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Ramon de Ramon y Ramon ]
Old 05-20-2003, 02:50 PM   #30
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

About drinking water... it depends where you are. I was in Garbsen - nean Hannover, and the pipe water wasn´t drinkable. It didn´t look like it either.