Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2003, 11:41 AM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

My Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router and Linksys WPC54G Wireless-G Notebook Adapter are scheduled for delivery later today! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I already use a standard Linksys Cable Router, so all of my current machines are connected via CAT5 and will continue to be, but now I'll be able to use my laptop without dangling cables everywhere.

Won't the wired portion of this router function exactly as a standard wired router?

How much more difficult is it to set up the wireless vs. wired?

I know security is incredibly important with wireless, so do you have any pointers?

What should I pay special attention to, focus on, or avoid?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-13-2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 10-13-2003, 11:52 AM   #2
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Before you hook this puppy up, check out this site: Wardriving for a good overview of the security risks involved and what you can do to protect yourself.

There's lots of good stuff on securing your WiFi network.

Basically, you want to enable WEP (even though it's not 100% secure) and you want to change all the defaults so you won't fall victim to a brute force "guessing" approach when being cracked.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:53 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Cool! Another wireless winner [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch asked this question here, so start there to get some ideas. My three points of security are listed, along with thoughts from other people... they will get you going safely.

To respond to your additional questions...

...Won't the wired portion of this router function exactly as a standard wired router?
>>>Yep, it does. When you connect the two routers, I believe you will lose a port on each one. I did. So if they're both 4-ports, you'll now have six ports available, not eight. I wish my second expansion 4-port had been an 8- or 16-port

...How much more difficult is it to set up the wireless vs. wired?
>>>Not much. Setting up the security is the important part, and deciding who's going to do DHCP is also needed. Most likely, you'll tell this one to let the other one do all the work, so it will be less effort to set up.

...I know security is incredibly important with wireless, so do you have any pointers?
>>>Check the post. Enable WEP, don't broadcast your SSID, and restrict access to specific MAC addresses. Linksys has software in the router (accessible from a browser) that does this.

...What should I pay special attention to, focus on, or avoid?
>>>Security is good... [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] and be sure to change the administrator password for the router. And the other one, if you haven't done that. Linksys sells millions of 'em; some bad guy has already leared the default password, and is waiting to get into your machine to hack your registry [img]smile.gif[/img] I leave mine pretty straightforward after those items.

>>>And be sure to write down the new administrator password... you have no idea how much fun it is to try to remember it six months later... [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

It's not as difficult or complex as it may seem. If you get stuck, feel free to PM me.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:12 PM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Thanks guys!

Bungleau, I'm actually going to replace my "wired" router with the new one; keeping the "wired" router in case I might need it later. That will give me 4 wired connections plus wireless, right? How many additional wireless connections will it handle, or does each wireless replace a wired?

I'm sure these questions will be answered in the manual, but I won't get to see it until tonight, and I'm over anxious. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 02:21 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Ya know, I'm not sure if the wireless connections replace the wired ones or not. I've only got two wireless NICs, and four ports...

If you've got less than four devices coming in, then swap 'em. If not, or if you're close to 4, consider linking the two routers together. You wouldn't have to monkey with the DHCP and other connection settings in the existing router, and linking them takes exactly one wire... one standard cat-5 cable, already provided.

Then again, I like having lots and lots of connection options

Have fun with it!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:51 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ronn, I think you've got the same router we have. Nacht posted about it at the Oasis on my thread
and Memnoch's thread here
and there are several other threads in that section on the topic.

If you get stuck, the LyncSys tech support was very helpful!
Old 10-13-2003, 05:41 PM   #7
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Wireless is way more easy to set up. You pretty much just install the software and make sure all your computers have the same kind of receiving signal (like 80211B which is the best) Most wireless routers go for 802-11C or D, Any of them really works, but 11B is the only one that works with both Macs and PCs. I haven't had any problems, and I pretty much set up my network in a few minutes. It's been really handy for file transfers, and I can sit anywhere and use my computer on the network [img]tongue.gif[/img] Great stuff!