Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 07:17 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

A bit of a Poll. Which do you consider to be the worse sequels/prequels to date?

My vote would go to Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. I found it pretty bad (Jar Jar Binks). Although my taste in movies may be doubtful, because contrary to most people, I did like The Matrix: Reloaded.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:53 PM   #2
Nerull
Lord Ao

Star Wars parts I - III, Men in Black II, all Jason and Freddie sequels, The Matrix sequels, Scary Movie sequels, Exorcist sequels, The Howling sequels, Speed 2, Robocop sequels, Caddyshack 2, Grease 2, etc. There's so many bad ones it is hard to keep track.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 10:06 PM   #3
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Star Wars I, II and sometime III, the last Jaws, MIB II.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 02:42 AM   #4
Faceman
Hathor

Rambo II+III, Rocky II-V
While duds like MIBII or MatrixReloaded were the worst sequels IMHO, the abovementioned were the most disapointing to me, because
Both movies, First Blood (RamboI) and Rocky, have a good script and an interesting plot, evolving characters and even some good acting
The sequels however dump all that quality to concentrate solely on "Sly got muscles, Sly beat baddies up".
Old 06-05-2004, 03:48 AM   #5
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Star Wars Ep I and II - Jar Jar stinks. Mediclorian(?) is a stupid idea and Anakin behaves like a teenage delinquent (Ep II).

MIB II - Mediocre plot. Most of the aliens joke aren't that funny anymore.

Matrix II - Haven't watched part III but part II really sucks. The whole thing just doesn't seems to fit into the first Matrix. Perhaps it was not meant to be a trilogy at all.

There may be more but these are the ones that I remember.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I've always thought it was strange that people expect that someone who turns out to be Darth Vader to be the nicest, most well-behaved, stablest teenager ever. It's weird.

I have to question the credibility of people who list prequels not yet made as the worst ever, but anyway . I would go with Home Alone 2, although I can't speak for Home Alone 3 because I never saw it. And Weekend at Bernie's 2.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:12 PM   #7
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

LotR - RotK. That scene near the end, where everyone starts laughing like madmen, is the dumbest scene ever and ruined everything.

[ 06-05-2004, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Gnarf ]
Old 06-05-2004, 05:13 PM   #8
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Oh god, don't get me started on Home Alone 3. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 05:55 PM   #9
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
I've always thought it was strange that people expect that someone who turns out to be Darth Vader to be the nicest, most well-behaved, stablest teenager ever. It's weird.
I wasn't expecting Anakin to be a nice kid, it is just that (in the movie), he always questions Obi Wan's decision and often going against it, whining and acted like a spoiled kid. Not to mention smartass too.

Honestly I don't know how Anakin should really like, but the way Lucas portrayed him just didn't seem to fit into his future role of Darth Vader... unless Lucas plans to remake the old trilogy and recreate a more talkative Vader, whining about the Emperor's plans, throws a little tantrum from time to time. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2004, 06:25 PM   #10
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

The problem was Hayden Christiansen, he wasn't able to project the image of somebody who was overly constrained, moreover like someone who was too immature to grasp what was going on around him. Skywalker knew damn well the consequences of his actions, but his desire for power, his insatiable greed and lust, is what drove him to the Dark Side. He's more like H.R. Haldeman or Bill the Butcher from Gangs of New York, than some whiny teenager.

I'd say I didn't like the kind of press that hit The Matrix: Reloaded... It was a different film. The Wachowski brothers were more visual, less verbal in their story telling.

Now, to give an example of a bad sequel in a film, The Omen 2/3, and Return of the Jedi, while a very entertaining film, was unfortunately a total 180 to The Empire Strikes Back, which borrowed a bit of downbeat edge from 70's art cinema.

[ 06-05-2004, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Oblivion437 ]