Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2003, 07:36 PM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

http://moneycentral.msn.com/articles...cial=insurance
Old 02-26-2003, 09:03 PM   #2
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Very informative Timber. I didnt know about the "Why were you pulled over" thing. I usually say yes I have a good idea why lol. Once was for speeding, I saw him a prmptly pulled over right behind him. I knew I was busted before he even turned on the lights. He was a nice guy and let me off with warning. However I ran a stop sign a few months ago (it WAS clear) and was ticketed . And I told him I knew what I did. Didnt work that time lol. Good article you linked [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2003, 09:10 PM   #3
Animal
Gold Dragon

Being an ex-officer I can tell you that there are a tonne of ways to beat a speeding ticket, and half the time it'll be thrown out of court because the officer won't show up.
The officer has to physically clock your speed with his radar gun. If the officer can't tell you your exact speed, it won't stand up either. If the posted sign is defaced in any way it will also be tossed.
Speeding tickets aren't hard to beat, and speaking from experience, usually the officer has better things to do than wait around in court all day for someone to dispute a minor ticket.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:30 PM   #4
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Just thought I'd relate a funny...

A friend of mine was driving down the highway one time and a cop was following right on his bumper - no lights or siren. This continued for about 5 miles or so, finally the lights came on and my buddy hits the brakes and pulls over.

Unfortunately, the cop rear-ends his truck.

He really, REALLY, had to keep himself from laughing while the cop berated his driving! The cop, of course, was held at fault.

Incidentally, he was pulled over for having too dark a tint on his windows. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 05:30 AM   #5
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

EXCELLENT ARTICLE TIMBER!!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I had been planning to Search for the exact same information after the recent thread discussing this issue. Thanks for finding it.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:30 AM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Here's another way, when you are ticketed go meet the OCPD. have a cough...cough.." chat " with him. he'll cancel the ticket.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:58 AM   #7
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

So my brain may be on holiday, true, but what does OCPD stand for? BTW, nice story Sir Krustin. [img]smile.gif[/img]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 02-27-2003, 08:20 AM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Nice article Timber. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Now I know what to do when caught speeding in the US. Of course I do tend to keep the limit.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:04 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Nice story. Years ago, I developed three rules for border crossings and being pulled over. Interesting to see they're referenced in the article for the most part.

Rule 1: Keep your hands in plain sight. The nice officer has a gun. You don't (at least I don't). Don't make them nervous about whether you have one or not.

Rule 2: Be polite. Yessir, no sir, yes ma'am, no ma'am. See rule #1 about the gun. They'll be more likely to give you a break if you're nice and polite than if you're obnoxious and rude.

Rule 3: Sunglasses and head coverings are off, no matter how uncomfortable you might be for the moment. See rule #1 about the gun [img]smile.gif[/img] You don't want to make them nervous, do you? At the least, you might spend an hour or two in the back seat of the officer's car while they make sure there's nothing illegal in yours.

I tend to keep around 10 miles over the limit, and I haven't had a problem in years. I have had an occasional exciting moment, though...

BTW, true story: Years ago, two friends of mine (age 19 or so at the time) were crossing into Canada from the US. When asked the usual questions (any alcohol? tobacco? firearms?) my one friend turned to the other and asked (out loud),

"Do you think that includes the M-16 broken down in the trunk?

Needless to say, the customs agent wasn't amused, and sent my friends over to the special inspection station, where they were instructed to find that M-16 in the trunk. They practically dismantled the car looking for it, and gave my friends a nasty warning.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:43 AM   #10
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Also giving an officer a free appetizer card to the Outback help's at least it did for me.