Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
mara
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How I can destroy them... They are imune to all damiges...

[ 02-17-2005, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: mara ]
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Erm... like... no they're so not! Just focus on one, and debuff them, curse them, damage them. They are not immune to anything. Except instand death.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Both have huge amounts of powerful enchantments placed upon them. Simply get rid of those, and focus on one. If you can't dispel the buffs, then draw the fight out long enough to make them expire.

Also, you should probably add spoiler tags to this post, as it is about the bosses of the game.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

I always found Madae a little easier to handle, but even so, this is a tough fight. You want to get rid of as many of their friends as quickly as possible, especially the guy in the lower right who's doing all the summoning. Buff up your own team, and have fighter-types beat on one of ther twins while others dispose of the rest.

I also hope you fouled up the pool.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I found Isair to be the easier, since he doesn't use heal [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Yea, I forgot to mention the pool. If you didn't foul that up, then you are in for some problems, I'm afraid.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:11 PM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

yes but fouling uo the pool has no effect on their resistances.... simply prevents them from healing from it.

On my HoF run I killed them without fouling the pool. Was very tough though.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:52 PM   #7
Magness
Quintesson

Marty, I've never been able to dispel their protections. The best strategy for dealing with their protections is just extending the battle long enough to let them run out.

This battle is an excellent example of how the proper strategy will make a battle seem easy.

Here's my strategy.

1. FULL buffing before talking to the person to takes you to I&M.

2. After talking to I&M, run *AWAY* from them immediately. Madae casts a Blasphemy spell and it has a limited range. Running away can get some or all of your party out of range.

3. Send in 1-3 of your party to take out the summoning mage that is in the room to your right. Kill him *fast* and you won't have to face those mobs of enemy summons.

4. Have your own spellcaster(s) summon up a mob of your own and send them against I&M to keep them occupied, while your party takes on every other enemy in the room.

5. Keep on summoning monsters as I&M kill them off. Whatever you do, keep I&M fighting summons and not your party.

6. When you start to see one of the twins take damage, throw everything *and* the kitchen sink at one of the twins. (Isair seems to weaker of the two to me.)

7. FYI... If I or M has a fireshield up, do **NOT** attack I or M with a Mordenkainen's Sword. While Mord's Sword may seem like a ranged attack, the game treats it like a melee attack and your mage could end up killing him or herself before you realize it. (This happened to me.)

8. After I&M run from the room (ending the first half of the final battle), quickly heal any wounds and rebuff as necessary. Without exiting the room, order your remaining summons over to the room where I&M teleported to. They'll come in handy. When ready, exit the room.

9. At this point, my favorite tactic is to break out some Holdfast arrows to tie up the very dangerous Slayer Knights of Xvim, while most of my party hacks up the badly wounded twin (usually Isair). Never ignore those slayer knights, even while you've got them held. The holdfast arrows only last for a short time, but they're very, very useful against the SKoX.

There's no doubt that I&M are a tough pair. But good tactics can take them down surprisingly easy.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:55 AM   #8
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Great advice. I hadn't said Dispel Magic (the spell), I dispel it using a certain very useful protection scroll.

Also, as you said Mord's Sword isn't the way to go against the twins... but I have put it to devastating use against the summoners and other underlings.

Use powerful, long term buffs to protect yourself. Emotion:hope and protection from evil 10' radius come to mind.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:06 AM   #9
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Since you're already gonna be under Protection from Evil, the Cleric's level 9 spells don't look too bad anymore, do they? I&M can't use Protection From Evil, so no worries about the monsters standing idle. If you keep them busy enough with summons, Undead, Demons and the like, you can clean the whole room out in under a minute without getting more than a scratch.
Holy Word is your best friend here. An instant cast spell, that enables you to cast Mass Heal with enemies standing around, being hacked apart. Most usefull if you have a party full of spellcasters, like I am just playing now. The thing works better than Timestop, because it allows every partymember(unless they're evil) to cast spells/attack/use abilities...
And for those of you who are not avare of it, there is an alternative to tainting the pool. Instead of fighting the avatar of Iyachtu Xvim, you can make a deal with him: in the final battle, the enemies can't summon monsters/undead/demons or anything. But they keep the healing of the Pool. IMHO, the no summons part is better than the no healing pool, but I always taint the pool. MAking deals with Chaotic Evil Gods doesn't sound like my thing.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I thought that the deal with Xvim was to completely bar demon summonings from the fight, not all summons... but I may be wrong, since I've never gone evil before.