Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2003, 09:09 AM   #1
ZarahNeander
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have a theory about it & would be interested, if anyone can confirm/disprove it.

It only happens after a certain amount of game time. Maybe 30 min-60min. Perhaps rounding errors which sums up over time. It never happens in the first 30 min. of the game.

Anyone? Thanks in advance.
ZarahNeander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 10:04 AM   #2
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yeah, that is also my experience. I have also noticed that the party fall from the sky by casting a portal when you use a key or mouse when the game is loading a new area.
And if you want to avoid getting crushed in Trynton when using the elevators, this is especially important. Never look around or move when the elevator is going. That is enough to throw the party off the elevator.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:20 AM   #3
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

I've never had a crash while portaling or using elevators since I upgraded mem to 256MB.

I do wonder, though, what will happen when I share a transport with one of those little T'Rang guys. Will I have the head and arm of a T'Rang when I get to the other side?
Old 06-29-2003, 04:12 PM   #4
ChaosTheorist
Manshoon

Quote:
I've never had a crash while portaling or using elevators since I upgraded mem to 256MB.
The machine I use for Wiz8 has had 256MB since day one, and I've DoP'ed maybe 4 times, so I don't think 256 is a magic number. However, the obvious memory-leak defects in the game definitely make problems more likely as the game's running time increases, so a "bigger" machine would be able to run the game longer before experiencing difficulties.
ChaosTheorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:06 PM   #5
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Also, limit the number of times you look at the big map. I found the game slowed down on reloads and had more problems. The only cure for this, beyond upping the RAM size, is to periodically reload the game from scratch.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:07 PM   #6
EEWorzelle
Manshoon

Hm, do any of you guys leave stuff lying around? The computer has to recalculate all that stuff all the time. I pick up everything I find and sell it or put it in chests. That could use up some memory and aggravate the memory leak situation. Just a thought.

I never run into this any more (given the excellent advice above about not moving around on elevators) but have 256MB also.
EEWorzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 12:39 AM   #7
ChaosTheorist
Manshoon

I've never had a problem with elevators, but then I don't think I've done much moving around on them. Guess I won't be trying that! All of my DoPs were when portaling from the Trynton fountain back to somewhere at/below ground level: Arnika, Lower Marten's Bluff, Rapax Away Camp. Though I didn't actually die (from portal'ing, anyway) when I "dropped in" on the Rapax: I ended up on top of the rock near the entrance, surrounded by, oh, about a thousand Rapax of various occupations.
ChaosTheorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 06:52 AM   #8
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

My PC has 512 MB, and i get these crashs, so high memory doesn't make you save.

I encountered the elevator problem often lately, and never in my early games. At least for me, its only the elevator at the back entry to the Rattkin Tree, not the one in Trynton.
The difference might be that in early games (without ironman), i killed the breeders and the other Rattkins before using the elevator. Now i usually only visit Barlone, and let the Rattkin alive until i am stronger. It seems that the wandering Rattkin groups use up too much calculation time, and when my position isn't updated for a while, i fall.

I assume the teleport bug you're talking about is that you sometimes fall through the floor into death. I didn't notice its related to playing time, but at least for me, its quite rare (maybe twice per game). In my ironman parties, i keep a copy of the savefile due to this bug (updated after each playing session), to avoid this death.

For me, it happened quite often in Lower Martens Bluff, sometimes in Trynton (fountain), and once in the Rapax Rift. Well, it happened twice in other areas, but that wasn't lethal. When i fell through the floor at He'Li's, i landed in the area below the temple. And in Ascension peak, i portalled back to the top, fell through the floor, and landed near the entry from mountain wildernesse.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote