Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2001, 04:45 AM   #1
TheDutkanator

Many people have said that this is a cheese method. Hide, scout ahead and find enemies, go out of range of vision, cast area effect spells that hit the monsters without them seeing you.
I DISAGREE!!! What good is a scout if you don't use it? You think the only reason for being able to hide is to get a first strike? I think that a weak thief with good hide abilities would be more than happy to find the enemy and report his findings to his mage buddy so he doesn't have to fight! Also, the mage would be happy to know where the enemy is so he doesn't have to be seen!!
Besides, though this tactic works on most enemies, it DOESN'T work on all of them. Some monsters run around in circles, or straight at the direction the spell came from when they git hit with area effect spells.

------------------

Let's get'em guen!

Quote:
"I'm sorry, did I kill you?" -TheDutkanator
Old 07-14-2001, 05:14 AM   #2
Vampire

errr unless they come running after you and can see invisible.
My thief/mage with the staff of magi is perfect!!!
I have perfected this tactic in BG1 TOSC, IWD HOW and BG2.
I have three of these scouts!!!
I only have the rest three standing under a tree doozing.
Err..works less well in BG2 and IWD due to increased AI
Old 07-14-2001, 06:12 AM   #3
TheDutkanator

Thanks Avatar, that's exactly why I think this is not a cheese tactic.(Or rather one of the reasons). Demons and Mists can see invisible and will chase after you even if hiding or invisible by other means. There are other creatures that can see invisible as well.

------------------

Let's get'em guen!

Quote:
"I'm sorry, did I kill you?" -TheDutkanator
Old 07-14-2001, 06:16 AM   #4
Vampire

Yep...undead wolves, wolfweres, can see invisible as well as main plot characters.

Can't see invisble suckers:

ALL illithids inc. Ultrithids
All vamps except Bodhi
trolls
Old 07-14-2001, 06:46 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I only think it's a cheese tactic against monsters(especially Dragons) who do not response to the attack... ... :/

Firkragg: *cough cough* Can't... breathe...

RandomServant: Move out of the cloud Master! Move!

Firkragg: What cloud? *cough cough* I'll just heal myself.

RS: Can't you see it?! It's all around you! That party ov- *URK!*

Firkragg: *cough cough* What was that? *cough cough* What's going on?! *cough cough* ARRGGGHHHH!!!!

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

Old 07-14-2001, 07:17 AM   #6
Skydracgrrl
Silver Dragon

Yeah, but if they gave intelligence enought to the dragons, and such, then it wouldn't be as fun that there are some practically impossible enemies to beat, rather early on in the game. a smart dragon? now, it sorta depends upon what attacks you use against it. it takes all the fun out of it if u just continuously use cloudkill(i think that's the name... tooearly to remember) from a distance... Personally I like to be amidst all the chaos of fighting... but that's just me. ^_^*

------------------
Quote:
What power would Hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of Heaven?
My Website!
Old 07-15-2001, 07:04 AM   #7
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

any "tactic" that involves killing things that aren't in sight is lame. period. this includes changing areas where the enemy must stay in his area for story continuity. also taking advantage of the fact that no enemy in the game is able to open a door is cheesy.

if actually figuring out how to win the battles is beyond you, just use SK to max out your stats and give yourself 1000 hp.

amergin, cheese-lover in real life
Old 07-15-2001, 07:30 AM   #8
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Well I think scouting and pinpointing enemies is a valid tactic, Cloudkill wipeout of unaware enemies I'm not so struck on and I never leave a battle via a screen change once the ruck starts. It's do or die. To be honest I don't do a lot of magic anyway, usually holding (web, entangle) or healing spells is about my limit excepting the occasions where mass very tough opposition is encountered, then fireballs or C.K may be the order of the day. I'm soloing with a pure thief at the minute so loads of magic isn't really an option. I say solo but I will take a companion for quest purposes, currently it's Jaheira and we just took out Mencar Pebblecrusher and chums after many reloads. My thief is only level 10 presently but my main tactic is stealth, highlight enemy and then archery to take them out. It doesn't always work as you can get swamped but haste and invisibility potions help a lot. I don't think C.K'ing a blind unaware enemy horde is a lame tactic, if you have been stealthy, reconnoitred the enemy positions and then sent the Napalm in then that's fair enough. It's exactly what happens in real warfare, none of the "show us the whites of yer eyes" these days. If that's what you want to do, if you enjoy doing it and that's how you progress in your game then there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 07-15-2001, 08:02 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I think you just need to do a sense check as to whether or not a tactic is cheese. A mage using the Staff of the Magi to invisibly sneak up on a dragon and cast an offensive spell is not cheese IMO. What makes it cheese is that the AI doesn't take that into account, as Dundee comically pointed out. Cheese is all about taking advantage of a deficiency in an enemy's AI.

BTW, Dundee, just wanted to say that your sig is a bit too big, dude. Maybe if you resized it down a little?

------------------
Old 07-15-2001, 10:50 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
BTW, Dundee, just wanted to say that your sig is a bit too big, dude. Maybe if you resized it down a little?
Awwww... ...

I liked that one, but alright. Will this one be okay? o_O?