Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2001, 11:40 AM   #1
DarkJedi

Ok i have been using a thief for BG1 and i really like it because of the stealth and backstab damamge. I would send my thief out first(in shadows) and scout and if there is a group ill take out the short bow kill one of them, run and re-stealth, my problem is what to do when there is a group of enemies should i continue picking them off or should i try to backstab them and possibly take some (or alot) of damage.

Also i am using a regular thief and possibly changing it to a fighter/thief so i can have way more HP can i do this or do i need to start over? And any good suggestions for a thief that has a lot of HP, good damage and can backstab for a lot of damage.
Any help is appreciated

Old 03-09-2001, 11:44 AM   #2
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

If you're a human you can dual to fighter but you'll gain no more exp. to your theif class!

Otherwise you'll have to create a new character (unless a bit of shadowkeepering is done)

I like to position my theif behind the mages of the party(s) and backstab them, which will hopefully take them out whil the rest of my party moves in to mop up the rest. But thats me.

------------------
[insert witty phrase here]
Old 03-09-2001, 12:13 PM   #3
DarkJedi

Ok thanks but i am a Elf thief. (bummer) what thief class would be better for sneaking around? and what do u think i should start off for stats(i.e STR DEX and the thieving abilities)
thanks

Old 03-09-2001, 12:27 PM   #4
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Well no theif class has an advantage in the stealth factors (correct me if i'm wrong) but it depends on how u play the game.

Assassins are cool for the backstab posion damage but only get 15% to distribute between theif skills.

Bounty Hunters are great for laying traps then leading the enemy into them! Though some people preffer the normal theifs traps to the special one but its all the same in the end!

Swashbucklers are more about fighting but can still stealth (but CANNOT!!! backstab)

As to stats: Dex is a must! 17+ at least, since dex increases theif skills.
Strength is useful for lugging things around and backstab but it dosent have to be that high. 15-16 is fine but if youre a human and u want to dual 17 is needed. Hope that helps.

------------------
Old 03-09-2001, 12:35 PM   #5
DarkJedi

Thanks Jerome, can u explain duel classing for dummies

Old 03-09-2001, 12:51 PM   #6
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

No problem man!

Dual classing can only be done by humans. Dual classing means that at a certain point in your characters career you can change class, but you start at level 1 and your abilities from your First class cannot be used until your new class reaches 1 level above the previous one!

(try reading it several times, it'll make sense sooner or later!)

Example:

Human theif lv.10 dual classes to fighter.
Human becomes fighter lv.1 and cant use theif skills.
When human reaches lv.11 as fighter, theif skills can be used again.
From then on; only fighter class gains exp.

This is basically the same as multiclassing except YOUR FIRST CLASS DOSENT GAIN ANY MORE EX. OR GET LEVEL UPS, though its skills can still be used.

The advantage of this is that you can include subclasses with this (i.e. assasin\fighter) But as far as i can remember Paladins, Barbarians, Sorcerors or Monks cannot dual.

If you need it simpler just ask!

------------------
Old 03-09-2001, 01:56 PM   #7
DarkJedi

Ok so if i start with a level one thief and he gets a level up i cant use any thief skills but i can use fighter skills and then when the fighter gets a level up i cant use fighter skills, now i can use the thief skills again is that right?

Old 03-09-2001, 02:00 PM   #8
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Erm, yes i think..... Someone else wanna help out?

------------------
Old 03-09-2001, 02:48 PM   #9
Lord Shield

Not quite. 1st lvl thief: thief abilities available. Dual->Fighter: 1st lvl fig abilities, NO thief skills available. 2nd lvl fighter: have abilities of fighter plus thief but: Cannot use thief skills in heavy armour. Cannot backstab with large weapon.

Old 03-09-2001, 02:55 PM   #10
Melusine
Dracolisk

Not quite. I think...
I thought you could only dual class from 3rd level and up... still, that only makes a difference if you're playing BG1
But then it would be
1st level thief to 3rd level thief: everything is normal
3rd level DUAL CLASS
then 1st level fighter, no thief abilities
When you reach 4th level fighter, you regain your thieving abilities.
Like Lord Shield said, you cannot thieve while wearing anything larger than studded leather. You can backstab with the following: shortsword, dagger, longsword, katana....no blunt weapons etc

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia