Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2001, 03:50 AM   #1
Sir Markus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am at my wits end with the black dragon that has the golden cup in the 7th chapter. The walkthrough says that '...I should be powerful enough by this point to easily whack the pest.' I don't know what kind of party the writer of the walkthrough was using, but 'easy' is not a word I'd use to describe this battle.

How did you go about defeating this monster, and if you could be more specific than the walkthrough, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-09-2001, 04:01 AM   #2
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus:
I am at my wits end with the black dragon that has the golden cup in the 7th chapter. The walkthrough says that '...I should be powerful enough by this point to easily whack the pest.' I don't know what kind of party the writer of the walkthrough was using, but 'easy' is not a word I'd use to describe this battle.

How did you go about defeating this monster, and if you could be more specific than the walkthrough, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
how'd ye killed other dragons?

first, once entering battle, no matter what, cast a breach on him

and send in your fighters to wack him. (OF COURSE! THAT MEANS POWERED UP FIGHTERS! cast protections on them, like protection from Acid (from your druid) give ALL the armor bonus to your best fighter! that means either korgan or Minsc or yourself(if you are a fighter) when i fought him, my AC was -21, swashbulker fighter

again, give your AC to your BEST fighter.
then just wack, wack wack, breach, wack wack wack, breach, wack wack... and so on

Old 03-09-2001, 04:07 AM   #3
Sir Markus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok 250, thanks for the tips. I'll try those suggestions right now.

Thanks again!
Old 03-09-2001, 04:11 AM   #4
The Silent One
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, well, I wouldn`t classify old Blacky as easy either, so here is what I did.

My greatest trouble was that damned Insect spell, so I summoned about three aerial servants, an earth elemental and a couple of Fire Elementals and cast Haste, Protection, bless, whatever was handy on them. A wizards Eye showed me the dragons Position while my Party stayed at the edge of the screen, at the exit. My summoned creatures attacked him without me speaking to him first, and when he cast his Insect spell, i fled back to the city screen, waited a moment and returned, thus saving me a lot of ouch. Expect to see your summoned creatures come flying past you a lot, but keep on summonig stuff to keep him.

Lower his resistance with spells and keep pummeling him with magic missiles.

Should do the Trick, but who do you have in your party?

Best of Luck,

The Silent One
Old 03-09-2001, 04:44 AM   #5
Sir Markus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Jeez, I'm accomplishing nothing but raising my blood pressure through the roof with this stupid dragon.

My party consists of Myself (Human Fighter), Minsc, Aerie, Mazzy, Jaheira and Nalia. I even drank a potion of invulnerability and it doesn't work. False advertising, I guess. I cast Haste, drank invulnerability, heroism, cast Bless and barkskin. I sent in my buffed up fighter and Aerie and Nalia behind to cast Breach.

The first thing that happens is the dragon casts some spell that knocks my fighter clear back to the stairs, but I keep my breach spells coming. Then come the bugs. I had my fighter wear the cloak of spell reflection, but I guess that's worthless. After the bugs, the dragon casts vines, and it just gets to be a big mess, my fighter starts getting hit, I might have time to drink one heal potion, the frost arrows from Minsc and Mazzy seem to hit, but only for 1 or 2 points per. I guess I just don't have the right spells memorized, or perhaps I just skipped too many quests, and my guys are too weak for this, but I thought I had been careful to get all the side quests. Who knows.
Old 03-09-2001, 06:06 AM   #6
Dimension X
Dungeon Master

Try refering to the numerous posts on how to whack dragons.

Of course, for your fighters to go toe-to-toe with the dragon, you need to be of a decent level.

Okay.

Here's a run through.

You're gonna need Magic Resistence, Lower Resist, Pierce Shield.

Firstly, buff up your party. Chant, Bless, Improved Haste, Resist Fear, Defensive Harmony. Basically, all the spells that add to the character's power.

Cast Magic Resistence on the dragon first, Pierce Shield, and then Lower Resist (If your Cleric is of a high level, cast it twice).

Have Jaheira cast Insect Plague on the dragon

Next, send your fighters, and summoned creatures (preferably Mordenkainen's Swords) to attack the dragon.

Meanwhile, have your spell casters use Magic Missiles on him (think Minor Sequencer).

With some luck and a decent party, he should be dead soon.

------------------
A Drawn Sword;
A Trickle Of Blood;
The Tempest Is Brewing.
Nemesis....
Old 03-09-2001, 08:37 AM   #7
Lord Shield

I did this: Summoned 5 big critters (in my case 3 Aerial Servants and 2 greater elementals). My berserker, Korgan and the elementals had: Resist Fear, Haste, Chant cast on them. Have them all circle the dragon. Have a cleric cast "Magic Resistance" on the thing to replace its MR with a lower value. Berserkers go mental, all 7 boppers attack, wizzies have fun with Magic Missile. The beast was dead in 3 rounds

Old 03-09-2001, 09:50 AM   #8
Sir Markus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Finally! I finally killed that dragon, and my computer was spared the fate of getting thrown out in the street, happy day.

I summoned all of the monsters, but the first few tries the dragon turned them and they came after me. So what I did is cast protection from evil on everyone and that made the difference, but my fighter still had to quaff a few health potions to make it through, so it was close.

What I actually think happened, though, is the sword I'm using (Vorpal, I think) has a death spell on it, and I don't think the dragon made his saving roll. The only reason I say this is that, even though the battle was going OK, I think I only had him down to 'Injured' and next thing I know he's dead. In all the confusion, I'm not positive that's what happened. Anyway, kind of lucky, but I'll take it.

Also, I don't know how anyone got Magic Resistence cast on the dragon, especially because your character has to get right next to him to do it; that was almost instant death for Aerie. And I still don't understand why I would want to cast that on him in the first place; is that an exploit in the game or is that 'per the D&D rules?' Just wonderin.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions!

[This message has been edited by Sir Markus (edited 03-09-2001).]
Old 03-09-2001, 10:15 AM   #9
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

I simply used a rush attack with might fighter and elementals and right after, he did his wing buffet my mage and cleric showed up. The Dragon casted insect plague on my cleric he almost died but it gave the time form my mages Edwin, Jan and Imoen to cast lower resistance. after that magic missiles flew like there was no tommorow and my fighter and Assasin where hacking away at the dragon.
Old 03-09-2001, 03:27 PM   #10
white heron
Manshoon

Different tactics yield different results...its interesting to see,and is a great part of the game.
The first time i faced the boss troll and his 2 buddys in the cellar of Nalia's keep i just ran in there with my gang and a lesser fire elemental and walloped them.The second time i created a veritable army of summoned bears,ogres,skelatal warriors, and swarms of insects,-hasted all of us and had our butts kicked for goodness! ,The third time i had the boots of speed and lured them out one by one into the other room(someone by the door ready to close it),and slaughtered them .
I discovered that time that cloudkill works wonderfully on umberhulks!
.....so i just love trying the different strategys available!
(but i'm still not past the 3rd/4th chapters yet so i would'nt know about your dragon.....but try something different.
NOTE: I did read that NONE of the dragons in the game have mutch resistance to electricity.