Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 11:00 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Music can wonderfully enhance the action of a movie, often interpretating and promoting without words while engaging and eliciting our thoughts and emotions. What movie sound tracks do you feel did this well? Two that readily come to mind are:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Pirates of the Carribean

[ 06-04-2004, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:12 PM   #2
Jorath Calar
Harper

Lord of the Rings: Two Towers

Best of the 3 wonderful soundtracks of the trilogy. Specially the Rohan and the Uruk Hai Themes
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:41 PM   #3
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

:/ this one is hard..it is diffulcult for me to say anything about the music in a movie, because I can bearly hear it, and trying to read the text makes it harder to listen to the music, but I will agree with the Two towers soundtrack, it blended in to it, and was not over done, like most movies are [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2004, 03:51 AM   #4
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Most of the soundtracks from Don Simpson/Bruckheimer's movies seems to go well with the atmosphere.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:46 PM   #5
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

Akira Kurosawa's Ran had one of the finest musical scores ever.

Citizen Kane had a good score, especially the scenes in the newspaper office.

2001: A Space Odyssey had one of the finest scores ever, including famous music by Gyorgi Ligetti, and the most famous Johann Strauss Waltz ever; On The Beautiful Blue Danube.

Every one of Sergio Leone's Dollars Trilogy and Once Upon A Time In The West all had magnificent scores, including West's famous Harmonica introductory piece.

Ennio Morricone did all those scores, he also did the track for Salo: O Le 120 Giornata De Sodomi, but I haven't seen the film.

The last film Morricone did with Sergio Leone (Leone's last, and grandest film) was Once Upon A Time In America, and seeing the full-length cut of the film, I have to say, that was one of the most magnificent musical scores I've ever heard. Haunting, sad, morbid and practically magnifying the emotions on screen, and lending unbelievable weight to the mournful subtext of such a sad film.

One of my three favorites, in no particular standing.

Another is the striking, sleazy, deep, moody track over which most of the events in Taxi Driver occured. Bernard Herrmann finished that score the day he died, and the result is one of the most deep, incredibly effective deliveries, ever.

My last top choices, also in no particular standing, are the incredible scores for All the President's Men and The Parallax View. In All the President's Men, single play notes and two-note bits by a trumpet are the key to delivering incredible tension, in a very big way. The final play out of it over the credits is vaguely reminiscent of patriotic music, and it lends a very scary note to the end of the film. The Parallax View has a similarly patriot-sounding ending and opening tune, but it sounds almost...wretched...hateful even. Then there's the music playing during The Test, and anyone who's seen the film knows what I'm talking about. It's an incredibly bizarre and jarring track, moving at times to soft, energetic and terrifying, the whole scene moves to new heights by weight of still photos and music alone.

The last track, which I can't quite put in terms of how much I like, but I dearly love, is the incredible Organ-only track to Intolerance. It moves at times light and cheerful, at others dark and sordid, and others positively malevolent, it moves and flows perfectly with the action, and for a silent film of 1916 (the movie which showed us what movies could be, it was like D.W. Griffith said, "look, here, this is movies, you can make it too, and you can statements with it that will last forever," and we haven't ignored him) it proves all the more incredible.

EDIT:

I can't believe I forgot Vangelis' majestic score, composed in such a haunting, dark fashion, it made Blade Runner even darker, which is one hell of a feat to accomplish with good Tech Noir.

[ 06-08-2004, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Oblivion437 ]
Old 06-06-2004, 10:31 PM   #6
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

<font color=lightblue>i think "The Matrix" soundtrack went well with the movie.</font>
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:39 PM   #7
Sir Goulum
John Locke

The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, Master & Commander, Gladiator, just to name a few.

[ 06-06-2004, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Sir Goulum ]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 11:33 AM   #8
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Spirited away. Best anime soundtrack ever. Accompanying the ONLY movie the Degrader ever cried at.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 12:12 PM   #9
Kaltia
Jack Burton

The Matrix's music suited it well, and the scoring for the Lord of the Rings was just damn excellent. I love the signature sound of Rohan, the one with the Norweigan fiddle. Princess Mononoke, to go with the previous poster's Spirited Away, also had a fantastic soundtrack. Also, Kill Bill and Once Upon a Time in Mexico-superb, to put it simply. I'm quite fond of Bend it Like Beckham's mix of the music of different cultures.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:45 PM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

LotR and the Matrix. Unique.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote