Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2002, 11:40 AM   #11
All High Monkey0
Elite Waterdeep Guard

well it's like all "older" games now, they come out platinum or something for not very much, i just have to get a new video card to play morrowind, pay 3 grand for a computer with a 4meg video card......
and how do i get that many stars?
Old 11-20-2002, 06:04 PM   #12
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by All High Monkey0:

and how do i get that many stars?
All those stars belong to the moderators on the boards so we're easily recognizable.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 12:32 PM   #13
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

It's definitely a cult classic. It got mostly modest to poor reviews and yet in spite of some quiet periods on boards like this one, people still buy, play, and share stories, info, etc. to keep these message boards up and running. There are boards for much newer, highly rated games that are already dead because interest wanes quickly for games that have little depth to them.

I hope DW drops by now and then or someone who can contact him keeps him informed of the continuing interest in this fine, even if buggy, game, and I hope that he will bring back a new iteration of this title some day, but it sounds like it will be a while before that's possible- and I hope he gets more support from whatever company produces the game in the future.

I have to admit, I thought this board was dead for a while there. I would stop by regularly, but there was no activity, and I got involved with other things, so I had quite a hiatus before checking my old stomping grounds recently. I was pleasantly surprised to find quite a bit of activity. Hurray!

+Dr.Pick
Old 11-23-2002, 12:42 PM   #14
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

We do get slow periods from time to time but I have been happily surprised to see how active overall the W&W board has remained! I really doubt that DW ever pays us a visit these days. Wish he would, not only to confirm that W&W is a great game but to read some of the threads in which we've discussed what we would like to see in W&W II!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 07:23 PM   #15
Friend Of Gareth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

This is something thats always got me about the uk press they had one quarter page review for W&W and they gave it 55% calling it old fashioned and out of date. when it is one of the finest games in history. this sought of review always makes me think conspiracy and back handers, but really i found this insulting, considering how much fun the game is, it really is one of the best of its kind if not one of the best computer games ive played im dying for a sequel or if not why is,nt there a modding scene, if anyones had any progress at this modding for W&W please email me at Animater@starpulse.com (Im not a programmer but id love to mod the W&W engine.)
Old 11-25-2002, 08:10 PM   #16
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

At one time I had thought of an expansion pack for Wizards & Warriors called "Oblivion"...a continuation of the storyline started with Jathil the Gezrite in the Shire. Due to a meddling within the magical fabric of reality by some renegade Gezrite priests, an anti-magic rift was created that threatened to destroy the entire Gezrite race, unless someone fully balanced within themselves could forge an item that would repaira and seal the rift. It would have taken some tweaking of the engine, but it sounded good, at least. I'm good with coming up with storylines, but, like you, Friend of Gareth, I'm no programmer. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 07:43 AM   #17
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Ozwald,
It's still $10 in Perth. I don't know about Sydney.
This is one of the few games that I have played more than once. Where's the expansion?
Old 11-26-2002, 11:07 AM   #18
Radek
Red Dragon

As far as the reviews are concerned, I like to try games with the WORST reviews. There are only two possibilities with bad reviews:
1. Either the game is as bad as described,
2. or the game is really good and the reviewer is an i******e.
These two cases can be distinguished easily. Either the reviewer knows what he is writing about or it is evident that he has understood nothing. How come?
I believe that the reviewers work in haste. They often evaluate the game according to the cover and they have no time to detect the contents. Has your game 4-way audio tracks? Yes? Well, a very good game. No?? Bah, an obsolete diluvial relic from middle ages. Can your monsters be seen in "real 3D" from all angles? Yes? An excellent game! No?? Bad address, the game should have been sent to a technical museum and not to a reviewer. Does your game need thinking? Yes?? A non intuitive unplayable attempt to create something like a computer game. No? Splendid! We can recommend the game to everybody!!
W&W needs thinking. That's why the reviews will be bad. Its monsters aren't 3D, that's why it must be obsolete. It does not contain a real 4-way audio. That's why it is a "classic", i.e., something different from "contemporary games". I am not surprised.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:11 AM   #19
WillowIX
Apophis

Actually you can get W&W in 4-way audio. The hubby helped me with that. I can´t describe what he did although he copied all audiostreams and duobled them someway. I now have to run three programs before starting W&W and close every dang task in the task manager LOL! Not to mention that it required 950Mb of extra space [img]redface.gif[/img] . Now all I have to do, is to tell him to remove it