Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2001, 05:28 PM   #1
Iqbal_khi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

First up let me warn you that this is a very complex strategy and will take a long time to complete. I had to reload 7 times, fine tuning and tweaking my strategy before I pulled it off. The aim of this strategy is to kill kangaxx and not get anybody imprisoned, using only items available in chapter 2. That done, this is what you need:
2 mages, with MMM, spell immunity, resist fear
1 or 2 tanks, with a weapon capable of hurting Kangaxx the lich (not necessarily the demi lich)
sling of everard, ring of the ram, any item capable of summons, plenty of summon spells (druids&#8230

Phase 1: preparations
Beat the elemental and shadow lich. They should be pushovers if you are willing to take on Kangaxx 
Detrap the door of the building next to the Sea bounty’s inn
Enter and kill the 3 minotaurs
Descend to the crypt
Place your tanks where kangaxx will spawn
Place the mage with the ring of the ram a little ways behind the tanks
Place the rest of the party at the bottom left of the screen, as far away from everything as possible
Cast resist fear on everyone

Phase 2: Opening gambit
Use one of the tanks to click on the sarcophagus to release Kangaxx
Immediately have your tanks and all available ranged firepower brought to bear against Kangaxx
Kangaxx will respond with a chain contingency of spell turning, spell trap and prot from magical weapons
You may want to disengage your archers to prevent any wastage of ammo
Kangaxx will then stop time, and then try to kill your tanks with power word kill (the fool&#8230
He continues with fear and stun spells, and finishes with another kill spell

Phase 3: After the time stop
Your tanks will be unhurt, but disengage them all the same and let them join the party at the bottom.
Unleash all your summon spells at him (they won’t hurt Kangaxx until his prot wears off, though)
Kangaxx summons an efreeti, which you should kill
The second your summons start dealing damage, let loose with your archers

Phase 4: Pillar of flame
Kangaxx the lich dies and will turn into a demi lich
Pause, select your mage with spell immunity and the ring of the ram
Activate spell immunity abjuration
Select the NPC with the sling of Everard and your other mage, move them to the top left of the room
Unpause for a second, then pause again

Phase 5: The kill
Let the ring ram Kangaxx all the way to the top right of the room
All summons should automatically move towards Kangaxx
Join the fray melee style (Yes, I do know that you don’t have a weapon that can hurt Kangaxx. Yet.)
Kangaxx starts imprisoning. Let both mages cast MMM, then let the immunity mage attack point blank
When all the summons are imprisoned, Kangaxx will go for the immunity mage
At this point, let the slinger and the other mage add their firepower to the assault.
Kangaxx should fall before immunity runs out, if not go to plan B

Plan B:
If you see the globe of immunity disappear, immediately pause, cast spell immunity, unpause, pause, select abjuration, unpause
Done right, the next attack will splatter impotently against your shield
He WLLL NOT last 2 immunities… unless something went wrong 

After word: What I did different
I only had 1 mage with MMM and spell immunity… I am a compulsive hoarder and refused to let Jan scribe MMM. Don’t know why
My tank was Keldorn with Carsomyr and boots of speed, but I still pulled him out after time stop, having served his purpose of being the target said time stop
My mage used the spider figurine, bottle of efreeti summoning and iron horn of valhalla to summon so that he could immediately cast spell immunity (mages have a nasty pause between spells)
My slinger was Jaheira, I equipped her with boots of speed when Keldorn retreated. The extra attack from haste helped to achieve the kill faster, especially since each attack only did 1 damage and the mage was missing Kangaxx (even at point blank range!) half the time 
Iqbal_khi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 05:33 PM   #2
Ares

For a mage to have a good chance hittin an opponenet with MMM, he needs to be farther away from the target than close, as with ranged weapons if you get to close, you get a 4 to your thaco AGAINST you hittin the target..right?
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 05:38 PM   #3
Whailor

Wasn't it actually that the enemies who attack the person (who uses missile weapon) with the melee people get +4 bonus to their attacks, not the 4 add or take the THAC0. Basically you can stand 2 steps away from each other and shoot from the bows and be OK, but when one switches to sword and another continues with the bow, then the one with the bow will start getting hurt.. Or something heh...
Old 12-12-2001, 06:48 PM   #4
Ares

Its all to confusing for me to remember all that Thaco, AC, Damage modification crap..Just gimme the game and let me play, who cares HOW i hit them, just if i hit them or not [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2001, 07:11 PM   #5
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

or you could solo buy the short sword of mask and use a protection from undead scroll, and hack him till he dies.
Old 12-13-2001, 12:20 AM   #6
Lucifer Lord of demons
Manshoon

I soloed him with my beserker/mage. First I saw his lich state: huh? He SUCKS!!!! He's down before he casts time stop. Then since i knew his fearful reputation i cast rage(immunity to imprisonment) and using a scroll i found cast black blade of disaster. I was doing about 2 or 3 damage per hit. After about 20 seconds i cast spell immunity:Abjuration and kept hiting. He was down in under a minute.

I was a level 12fighter/11 mage
When someone insults you, do not kill them there and then. It is a bad thing to do. Instead plot revenge, destroy his life, ruin him and in the end leave him to think about his fate. He\'ll understand the errors of his actions. <br /><br />\"Thaaat dooesn\'t huuuuurt!!!\"<br />(Victim of a dark elf assasin before losing his head)
Lucifer Lord of demons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 01:33 AM   #7
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

quote:
Originally posted by Iqbal_khi:
First up let me warn you that this is a very complex strategy and will take a long time to complete. I had to reload 7 times, fine tuning and tweaking my strategy before I pulled it off. The aim of this strategy is to kill kangaxx and not get anybody imprisoned, using only items available in chapter 2. That done, this is what you need:
2 mages, with MMM, spell immunity, resist fear
1 or 2 tanks, with a weapon capable of hurting Kangaxx the lich (not necessarily the demi lich)
sling of everard, ring of the ram, any item capable of summons, plenty of summon spells (druids…

Phase 1: preparations
Beat the elemental and shadow lich. They should be pushovers if you are willing to take on Kangaxx 
Detrap the door of the building next to the Sea bounty’s inn
Enter and kill the 3 minotaurs
Descend to the crypt
Place your tanks where kangaxx will spawn
Place the mage with the ring of the ram a little ways behind the tanks
Place the rest of the party at the bottom left of the screen, as far away from everything as possible
Cast resist fear on everyone

Phase 2: Opening gambit
Use one of the tanks to click on the sarcophagus to release Kangaxx
Immediately have your tanks and all available ranged firepower brought to bear against Kangaxx
Kangaxx will respond with a chain contingency of spell turning, spell trap and prot from magical weapons
You may want to disengage your archers to prevent any wastage of ammo
Kangaxx will then stop time, and then try to kill your tanks with power word kill (the fool…
He continues with fear and stun spells, and finishes with another kill spell

Phase 3: After the time stop
Your tanks will be unhurt, but disengage them all the same and let them join the party at the bottom.
Unleash all your summon spells at him (they won’t hurt Kangaxx until his prot wears off, though)
Kangaxx summons an efreeti, which you should kill
The second your summons start dealing damage, let loose with your archers

Phase 4: Pillar of flame
Kangaxx the lich dies and will turn into a demi lich
Pause, select your mage with spell immunity and the ring of the ram
Activate spell immunity abjuration
Select the NPC with the sling of Everard and your other mage, move them to the top left of the room
Unpause for a second, then pause again

Phase 5: The kill
Let the ring ram Kangaxx all the way to the top right of the room
All summons should automatically move towards Kangaxx
Join the fray melee style (Yes, I do know that you don’t have a weapon that can hurt Kangaxx. Yet.)
Kangaxx starts imprisoning. Let both mages cast MMM, then let the immunity mage attack point blank
When all the summons are imprisoned, Kangaxx will go for the immunity mage
At this point, let the slinger and the other mage add their firepower to the assault.
Kangaxx should fall before immunity runs out, if not go to plan B

Plan B:
If you see the globe of immunity disappear, immediately pause, cast spell immunity, unpause, pause, select abjuration, unpause
Done right, the next attack will splatter impotently against your shield
He WLLL NOT last 2 immunities… unless something went wrong 

After word: What I did different
I only had 1 mage with MMM and spell immunity… I am a compulsive hoarder and refused to let Jan scribe MMM. Don’t know why
My tank was Keldorn with Carsomyr and boots of speed, but I still pulled him out after time stop, having served his purpose of being the target said time stop
My mage used the spider figurine, bottle of efreeti summoning and iron horn of valhalla to summon so that he could immediately cast spell immunity (mages have a nasty pause between spells)
My slinger was Jaheira, I equipped her with boots of speed when Keldorn retreated. The extra attack from haste helped to achieve the kill faster, especially since each attack only did 1 damage and the mage was missing Kangaxx (even at point blank range!) half the time 

That's very impressive but with ToB installed this will not work anymore. They have tweaked the AI a bit so that he doesn't attack the same person over and over again.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:31 AM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Regarding missile attacks,

If an enemy engages you in melee combat and you are not equipped with a melee weapon, the enemy gains a +4 THACO bonus to his hit roll.

If you shoot at said enemy, you also get a -8 THACO penalty to your hit roll.

How regarding Kangaxx and his guardians, in order of cheesiness... ...

Kangaxx's Guardians:
--------------------

Lay seven traps at the spawning spot... enough said.

Want something less cheesy? Buy Protection from Undead scrolls and whack them for free! They will not do anything to you. You can make funny faces on them, flap their arms, take off their robes, etc... you can basically do anything to them for 10 turns( roughly 10 minutes).

If you still feel that, that was too cheesy, then go buy Aduzedge +3 from Benard in the Copper Coronet, and get Daystar +2 from the Lich in the Gate District. Equip two people with these weapons and summon the Lich. As soon as you do this, start casting Sunray from Daystar +2, and the moment you can target the Lich, whack him with Aduzedge +3. This combo will make the Lich's life a very short-lived one.

Still have that taste of cheese in your mouth? Then do it the bravo way, where you whack the Lich with any enchanted weapon and your Mages cast spell counters to remove the Lich's spell protections.

Kangaxx the Lich:
-----------------

Refer to above

WARNING: Do not however, use scrolls of Protection from Undead. Doing so will make Kangaxx the Lich invulnerable, because you need to let him talk to you.

Kangaxx the Demi-Lich:
----------------------

Sweet, sweet Aerie can take on Kangaxx the Demi-Lich all by herself. Simply cast Spell Immunity( Abjuration) on her and whack Kangaxx the Demi-Lich with any of the following, Melf's Minute Meteors, Ring of the Ram(s), Staff of Rynn +4 and Sling of Everand +5. If you are in Chapter 3, you can also equip her with the Mace of Disruption +1(2), which makes her a Demi-Lich killing machine.

Or you can cheese it out and use Protection from Undead scrolls, which will enable you to whack him undisturbed.

This way, nobody gets Imprisoned.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 09:52 AM   #9
Ares

Dundee, i have a question...How did you get to know all this stuff?!? Its hard for me to remember certain people's names in the game, much less strategy when i 'm not playing...
Old 12-13-2001, 11:08 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ares:
Dundee, i have a question...How did you get to know all this stuff?!? Its hard for me to remember certain people's names in the game, much less strategy when i 'm not playing...

? I suppose it is because I want to find the best and easiest legimate way to beat everything in any game.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote