Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2003, 10:28 AM   #31
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
Gee, if you want help staying awake, ask a truck driver, like me fer instance.
We are known for being awake when we have to be.

First off, know that your body needs sleep. If you have to, do it. An hour is a good "power nap".

Now if there is something you have to stay awake for, this is what I did to make the hours go by:

chew bubble gum.

Yep, you heard it here. Bubble gum keeps your jaws going and keeps you more alert.

Now what doesn't work?
Drugs of any sort - meaning caffeine. Why? Because when they wear off you are Oh SO MUCH worse off than you were before. It sucks. The effect doesn't last long and then you crash.

Drinking lots of liquid. Why? Because it just makes you want to go to the bathroom, which gives you exercise, but won't keep you awake if you are sleepy.

A couple of other things that will keep you awake:

Talking to someone (that is why CBs work so well)

Listening to an engrossing story (I stayed awake for hours listening to talking books just to see how it would turn out, but I chewed gum as well)

Eating - yeah the munchies keep you awake. Whatever will keep your jaw moving, and your face flexing, will keep you awake.

Again, don't do these things unless you have a reason. If you don't have a real good reason for staying awake, sleep by all means. Lack of sleep can make you psychotic. No lie. Trust me on this one.

Big J
The talking thing really works. Nothing like trying not to get sleepy on a long drive when everyone else is asleep!

Reminds me of some of the muso tricks for staying awake when you have a long drive ahead. Like drinking so much you need to pee, but holding on as long as possible. Very hard to fall asleep.

Or if you have long hair, wind the window up on it so that it's just tight - won't stop you nodding off, but the instant you start to, it yanks, hurts and wakes you up.

The best one I found though, was running fast around the car 10 times whenever sleepiness was approaching.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:50 PM   #32
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by edin gal:
quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I know exactly how to stay awake, for 2 days at least. But it's illegal, and could get you arrested, so forget about it.
Whats wrong with coffee Johnny??? [/QUOTE]Nothing, it just doesn't work all that well.