Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2003, 11:49 AM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

From democrat to independent to republican
Larry Elder (archive)

May 15, 2003

Nobel laureate economist Milton Friedman, in a Reason magazine interview, called himself both a Republican and a libertarian, "I am a Republican with a capital 'R,' " he said, "and a libertarian with a small 'l.' I have a party membership as a Republican, not because they have any principles. But because that's the way I am the most useful and have the most influence. My philosophy is clearly libertarian."

Despite the influence of my Democratic mother, I voted for Ronald Reagan in 1980, and again in 1984, because he campaigned against high taxes, supported limited government, while advancing a tough-minded defense in calling the Soviet Union an "evil empire." His successor, George Bush-41, for whom I also voted, raised taxes, passed the Clean Air Act, passed the Americans With Disabilities Act, re-regulated cable, and railed against falling oil prices.

I felt double-crossed.

My disillusionment with the GOP caused me to register as "Decline to State," which, in California, means independent. Fiscally conservative, but socially liberal on many issues, I support a government that stays out of my wallet and out of my bedroom. The Founding Fathers envisioned a federal government that trusts its people with their money and freedom, outlining this limited, non-intrusive federal government in Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution, leaving the other powers to people themselves or to the states.

The Republican Party, even under George W. Bush's confidence, character and vision, expanded failed programs like the Department of Education's Title I, expanded Clinton's "volunteer" AmeriCorps, passed protectionist legislation for steel and lumber, passed our nation's largest farm subsidy bill, used taxpayer money for faith-based initiatives, and increased the budget beyond that which is necessary for the war on terror and the wars in Afghanistan and in Iraq. [Ed by TL: As further bad Bush spending, Let me insert a plug for This thread.] On the other hand, most Libertarians opposed the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, a position I find increasingly naive and simplistic in a world of mobile biological labs and radiological bombs capable of being carried in suitcases by our nation's enemies.

Sept. 11, 2001, reminds us that self-defense remains job No. 1, and that enemies who hate America cannot simply be sat down and persuaded that non-imperialistic Americans seek only to live in harmony and peace. President George W. Bush deserves applause for the tremendous job in moving public opinion to support not only the war against terrorism, but the military strike against Iraq.

In President Bush, Americans see a man who says what he means, and means what he says. Certainly, politics generally enters the equation, and compromises, however unpleasant, must occur, given the constant indoctrination of "the center" by our educational system, our mainstream media and Hollywood.

We need a judiciary that refuses to bend to political pressure in areas such as "affirmative action" when the University of Michigan defends its program by calling diversity "a compelling state interest"?! The attack on competent, presumably conservative judges like Priscilla Owen, Miguel Estrada and Charles Pickering demonstrates the importance of electing sincere, limited-government Republicans who believe in states' rights, and who reject the notion that the "right to privacy" exists in the "penumbras" of the Constitution. We need Republicans who understand that giving people their hard-earned money back, or better yet, not taking it in the first place, jumpstarts the economy.

Recall former Democratic President John F. Kennedy, in urging a tax cut, " . . . It is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high today and tax revenues are too low -- and the soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut rates now. . . . Only full employment can balance the budget -- and tax reduction can pave the way to full employment. The purpose of cutting taxes now is not to incur a budgetary deficit, but to achieve the more prosperous expanding economy which will bring a budgetary surplus."

So, after much soul-searching, on Friday, May 9, 2003, I filed to change my voter registration to the Republican Party. Not because I find the party pure -- indeed, many Republicans like Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., George Voinovich, R-Ohio, and Olympia Snowe, R-Maine, talk the talk but fail to walk the walk. Yet, because of my Republican friends such as Congressman David Dreier, R-Calif., writer-director-producer Lionel Chetwynd, and many others, I have a greater understanding of the day-to-day difficulty of moving intransigent Democrats, and some Republicans, in the right direction. I can exercise greater effectiveness cajoling, pushing and advocating on the inside, than nagging as an independent from the outside.

So, to my fellow Republicans: Fight the good fight, explain to the American people the importance of limited government, low taxation, strong self-defense, and trust them to have the maturity and common sense to govern their own personal and financial lives.

Make no mistake: My libertarian principles remain unchanged. But as writer Midge Decter once said, "There comes a time to join the side you're on."

Count me in.

©2003 Creators Syndicate, Inc.

[ 05-15-2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 05-15-2003, 12:04 PM   #2
Donut
Jack Burton

The mere mention of his name brings back memories of 18% unemployment, the death of the British Manufacturing industry, poll tax riots, the smashing of the trade unions and the me-decade of the 80's.

Any friend of Margaret Thatcher....................................!

Bring back Keynesian economics!

[ 05-15-2003, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-15-2003, 02:35 PM   #3
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Light Bulb

Great post, Timber! I have been a Republican since I could think, and have never found reason to change. There are times when individual Republicans disappoint me, as G.H.W. Bush did, both over taxes and the Gulf War, but the Democrats not only disappoint me, they make me ill.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:06 AM   #4
MagiK

I like most of what he had to say [img]smile.gif[/img]
Donut, for me, the Me-decade saw the process of destruction for the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold war...I saw lower taxes, I saw higher incomes for every level of the economy, I also saw unchecked congressional spending and of course there was Iran-contra scandals. All in all for the US the 80's were mostly rockin! Our economy really really improved as opposed to our double digit inflation, and high unemployment of the 70's.

Old 05-16-2003, 11:14 AM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
All in all for the US the 80's were mostly rockin! Our economy really really improved as opposed to our double digit inflation, and high unemployment of the 70's.
Nah, I'll take the 90's any day. I think it will be my favorite era in history. Money was up, up, up, rockin economy, wet cigars in the oval office, internet truly came to be, Grateful Dead and Phish were still regularly touring (Garcia was even remembering all the lyrics for a change), all in all a big party. Which may be why I don't remember huge hunks of it. [img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img] Plus, no LEGWARMERS!!

[ 05-16-2003, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]