Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2003, 02:04 PM   #41
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:

Seriously, I'm not about to support digging up one of the US's true natural gems for oil we don't need just because the president from Texas likes to see oil derricks blanketing the horizon.
Cheap shot, Timber. The Alaska drilling controversy was around before W. became President. As a biologist, I will agree with you that tundra and desert both are quite fragile ecologically, because the harshness of the environment precludes the development of multiple species, decreasing the resiliency. However, I will also not the isolated activities like drilling and the Alaska Pipeline have not been shown to decrease population. From what I have read, Prince William Sound is recovering nicely from the Exxon Valdes disaster.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:46 PM   #42
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Attalus:

True, it was a cheap shot - but I meant it. [Edit: Originally I noted I said this tounge-in-cheek, which I did, but on further reflection I simply find it true that GWB is pro-oil.] There is no doubt that GWB is pro-oil industry. Yes, the issue has been around, but GWB really pushed it hard.

Take a look at the link I provided, and you will see this is numerous pipelines to numerous locations - much more damaging than the existing Alaska pipeline most likely. Plus, the pristine nature of this area is what I'd like to protect - can't we do this somewhere that there's alread-existing mankind footprints?

I think it's be nice to lay the basic groundwork for some few sources in Alaska (which will take several years, BTW) - and the NOT USE THEM. That is true National Security: the unused resource just waiting to be tapped. We should plan as if we'll still be a nation when dino-fuel runs out - no matter how many thousands of years away that may or may not be.

As for the Valdez example: the environmental harm is not the only harm. The families left literally out in the cold when their insurers declared bankruptcy (and then simply reorganized and filed a simple piece of paper to avoid all their debt) is a corporate America evil side effect I cannot abide.

[ 01-10-2003, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 01-10-2003, 02:58 PM   #43
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

My deer lease is interspersed with oil rigs, and the derer don't seem to mind, but, I know, I know, whitetail deer are not caribou. Actually, the lease owner wants us to take more of them every year, especially the does.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:59 PM   #44
ElricMorlockin
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
quote:
what will the unwashed college masses and professors do now?
Hopefully, go get real jobs and quit bothering us normal people. Damn activists [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]

There is a saying in my industry that I always found kinda funny.
"Those who can't *do* teach, and those who can't teach consult"
[img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

The fact is, no one in their right mind would hire many of these college professors into their organizations. Who needs the headache, when trying to run a business, of having rebel rousers in their midst, who will start problems for the mere sake of it? Many are where they are at because they *know* their skewed ideas will not be digested/accepted by older adults, as having true merit. However, the youth, who have the natural rebellious streak in them, are always the perfect gardens to plant their seeds in. Their ideas seem to have merit because they go against the grain for the mere sake of it. And anyone, who understands the properties of wood, understands the often futile and energy wastage, of going against the grain. That is, unless they dont want to create anyting useful in the first place. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

[ 01-10-2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: ElricMorlockin ]
Old 01-10-2003, 03:13 PM   #45
ElricMorlockin
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
As far as this whole block goes my opinions are as follows, A If you cant or DONT vote then you have no say., B If you dont have a job or are living on handouts from the government then you should shut up and be thankfull someone is there to make up the slack from your lazieness. Even wheelchair bound and blind people can hold down jobs., C A "real"job is any job where you get paid for preforming a task. So , no I dont consider being a student a job. A job builds character and work ethics and shows you what you can do with whatever talents you possess.
You running for President in 2004? If so, you got my vote hombre!
[img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2003, 03:32 PM   #46
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

LOL, I'd vote for him, but in 2008. My vote is already locked in for 2004.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:36 PM   #47
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

[quote]Originally posted by ElricMorlockin:
Quote:
There are teachers on this board, my friend, and they have lined up en masse before to attack this rather insensitive quote. [img]graemlins/shooter18.gif[/img]
I was on the recieving end, by the way, and it wasn't too fun. [img]graemlins/whipitgood.gif[/img]

Good Luck.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:38 PM   #48
ElricMorlockin
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
LOL, I'd vote for him, but in 2008. My vote is already locked in for 2004.
Really? So Hillary *is* gonna run? (j/k) [img]graemlins/happyteeth.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2003, 03:43 PM   #49
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
quote:
Originally posted by ElricMorlockin:
Quote:
There are teachers on this board, my friend, and they have lined up en masse before to attack this rather insensitive quote. [img]graemlins/shooter18.gif[/img]
I was on the recieving end, by the way, and it wasn't too fun. [img]graemlins/whipitgood.gif[/img]

Good Luck.
*calls up the burn ward to inform them a 3rd degree burn case is inbound*
[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2003, 03:44 PM   #50
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by ElricMorlockin:
Really? So Hillary *is* gonna run? (j/k) [img]graemlins/happyteeth.gif[/img]
Lord, I hope so! Please, please, Puh-leeze!!! That would mobize the Republican base like nobody's business!