Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 01:58 PM   #11
Aerich
Lord Ao

I think the dialogue option requires you to suggest that he stop drinking. It only works if you have the high Int and Cha character. Otherwise he gets angry at you for lecturing him.

Have you picked up the Grease spell yet? That's a good lvl 1 spell to slow down the melee creatures. One good thing is that you are immune to Grease with the ring of free action on. Once they save or get through the stuff, you can just avoid them and run through the Grease to the other side (just like Web, except cheaper).

You are really going to need the beserkers to deal with the multiple skeletons in the Vale. It's not very easy to pick them off at range.

How often do you find yourself getting hit (e.g. how often do you have to rest)?
Old 08-13-2004, 04:20 PM   #12
Stratos
Vampire

I don't need to rest too often, the skeletons aren't exactly mighty warriors. The regular ones that is.

The shadows falls after three or four good hits with the bow, while the yetis are more difficult. Fortunately they're limited in numbers.

I believe this part of the game wont pose any troubles.

I've picked up the Grease spell, but I've used up all my 1st level spell slots on 1 Chromatic Orb and two Shields. I don't think I'll need this spell and Web until the more challenging battles.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:15 PM   #13
Stratos
Vampire

Spoilers!!!!!
Update:

Vale of Shadows:
The shadows were not too difficult, unless they hit you and cause 'Bad Luck', an effect that seems to be cumulative with each other. The yetis were harder and required alot of running around. I had to lure them one by one, and firing at them while gradually falling back.

For the crypts, I switched from my bow to a morningstar and, protected by spells, hit flailed away at the skeletons. One or two hits kill the smaller ones and 3-4 for the bigger ones. All this was time-consuming rather than difficult.

Bardic Horn of Valhalla:
Finally I have it! On a usual running-back-to-Kuldahar-to-sell-my-loot trip I thought 'What the heck' and stole Arundels Ring of Free Action right in front of his face. I had 8000 or so gold at the time and expected to get maybe 2000 for the ring. I got 6000 from Gerth. Enough for the horn plus some extra to a few drinks at the Root Cellar. Eager to use it, I searched out Kresselacks cosy crib. A few thoughts on the horn:

Pros:The bersekers do a good amount of damage, especially if hasted. It took a few seconds for them to hack through a group of, say, 6-6 skeletons, both small and big.

Cons: Ouch! You can't control them which makes them just stand around and look dumb unless they spot an enemy. A bit annoying, to say at least. And neither do they have any armours on, just a helmet and a bastard sword. Further, they wont do a diddly squat against enemies that requires a +1 weapon or better to hit. Very powerful on some enemies, but completely worthless on others.

I also stole some good stuff from Fiddlebender: Potion of Firebreath, 2x Potions of Fiery Burning, a Ring of Protection+2 and a Necklace of Missiles.

Temple of the Forgotten God (whoever that is):
Go forward, stalwart Berseker Warriors. Do I need to say more.

Dragon's Eye:
I just reached DE, but went back to Kuldahar to buy the Sash of Shimmering. A good item that grants the effect of Blur (+3 AC) permanently. I wonder if the Rogue's Cowl will interfer with my other magic items I've equipped?

To be continued...

[ 08-15-2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 08-16-2004, 09:09 AM   #14
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
~~ Cons: Ouch! You can't control them which makes them just stand around and look dumb unless they spot an enemy. A bit annoying, to say at least. ~~
I hint again.
Quote:
*Blink*

You're soloing with a Bard?

Horn of Valhalla <---- Get it, love it, caress it, learn to abuse it.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:08 AM   #15
Stratos
Vampire

Are there any tricks I'm not aware of? Please do tell me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Is there also a way around the problem that the bersekers don't have any magical weapons?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:13 AM   #16
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
Are there any tricks I'm not aware of? Please do tell me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Is there also a way around the problem that the bersekers don't have any magical weapons?
Summon, Quicksave, Quickload.

As for Magical Weapons... you are going to need to rely on yourself really. Most summons use unenchanted weapons.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 01:35 PM   #17
Stratos
Vampire

It allows you to control them, right? I had that happening to me once, but I didn't know what I did.

Might come in handy. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2004, 04:28 PM   #18
Stratos
Vampire

SPOILERS!!!
Progress Report:

Yxunomei:
After clearing Dragon's Eye lv. 5 of any and all scaly creatures, I stopped outside Y's lair to prepare for the coming onslaught. The actual fight required a few reloads, but here's the basic outline of the battle:

I started by casting Mirrored Image on myself to protect myself from all the traps someone has left lying around, as well as Protection from Evil. I then used the Horn of Valhalla to summon my little squad. I casted Haste on us and positioned them a bit behind me to call upon to act as cannon fodder. After this I enterer the snake pit to have a little chat with it's mistress. After listening to the usual tirade of world domination, the fun begun.

After the dialogue had ended, I immediately retreated back to the hallway ( and managed to quicksave ) while waiting for the enemies to show up at the entrace to Y's lair, and lo and behold, they did. At this moment I released a virtual barrage of Fireballs and Ice Storms with a few Magic Missile thrown in for good measure. Y, with her magic resistance, avoided most of the damage and only got down to Barely Injured, while the rest of her motley pack went to meet their creator. I also managed to foil her little plan to cast a Dispel Magic at me. When she run out of spells she came for me personally, and at that moment my trusty grunts charged her. They offered a, say, five second diversion before they too pushed up daisies. When Y was finised with the Berserkers, may they rest in peace, he charged at me. At this moment I retreated to the torture chamber just to the north, all while firing +2 arrows at her. With the Messager of Sseth and Haste, that's alot of arrows.
We started to play a little game of cat and mouse, Y and me, around the torturing device at the center of the room. And all this time I was firing arrows at her. Must be love. After awhile Y grew tired and collapsed on the ground, allowing me to seize the Heartstone Gem from her cold dead hands.

Hey, isn't this the stone Arundel is looking for?

[ 08-18-2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]