Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2002, 04:48 PM   #1
Kethec the Nonplussed
Elite Waterdeep Guard

After entering,I cleared the part of the level I was in. I did not enter the throne room. So there I was; fighter, cleric, ranger, thief, mage, and bard. I could be 2 fighters, 2 spellcasters, thief and cleric. Or 4 archers, spellcaster, cleric. Etc.
So I got everyone as close as possible to the threshhold of the throne room without lighting it up and starting the action. Then I called monsters and put them near but not crossing the threshhold to the throne room. Spelled and potioned up; Haste, Recitation, Bless, etc. You know the drill. THEN sent my fast thief Across The Threshold.
I took the You're Bluffing dialog. Then when the action started I dashed back out with the thief and Pausing strategicaly I peppered the crackpot with crack potshots from 4 archers with plus power arrows. I succeeded in taking out the fake Malavon instantly almost every time. Then, NOT going in throne room, killed off all comers catch as can. I think some were immune to magic. When the last one croaked then came Malavon.
I ad libbed with monsters, spells, archery, melee heavies, etc. And pretty soon Malavon teleported out. Did NOT chase him all over. I kicked back, did some healing, some housekeeping, etc, etc.
By this time Malavon is in his chamber at the south?, bottom?, off of the throne room. He sends out a few monsters (I recall only 2 earth elementals and 2 bad worms each time.) Took them out and went to GET Malavon! Once, the gas had dissipated; once not. So I walked right through throne room, or successfully skirted edge. Put 2 archers with improved invisible at each side of door to his chamber. Then brought up everybody and the action begins. I used monsters, I used plus power arrows and bolts, I used spells. Somewhere in here, before or after I get tired of it all cause he's only hurt I start wailing on him with everyone in melee; his shield fails and it's all over pretty quick. Ha! Ha! And he fell. Dead. And I won!
Kethec the Nonplussed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 08:28 PM   #2
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

A good strategy, I used similiar tactics! I see your new, hope your around when IWDII comes out later this month, there will be a lot of strategies going around lol
Old 05-09-2002, 12:06 AM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

Were you foresighted/lucky enough to nail Malavon on your first attempt? Or is that a Ph.D. in Tactics and Strategy I see hanging on the wall behind your desk? [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 02:24 AM   #4
Kethec the Nonplussed
Elite Waterdeep Guard

No. I died a few times. Then I browsed for spoilers myself. The most important thing I got out of it was the fact of some of Malavon's monsters magic immunity. There did not seem to be any such "How I Did Its" on this subject. Or any other I've looked into so far. Anyway I went back after finding THAT out and pretty much fell into my succeeding tactics pretty much right off. Again, there seems to be a general dearth of the sort of specific details I included when people are trying to help someone. I've looked at some and thought," So? Now what am I supposed to DO??!!"
Kethec the Nonplussed is offline   Reply With Quote