Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2003, 05:23 PM   #21
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I'm doing better now. No pops for a bit now. Rokenn, I'm actually the guy who knows enough to tell you what he did do wrong when he calls. Plus, most of your clients don't have a community of egg-heads to query and use for self-help troubleshooting.

I actually may have fixed the durned thing.

Thanks, folks. I'll address these issues more tomorrow. Gotta go. [img]graemlins/shooter18.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2003, 05:44 PM   #22
Faceman
Hathor

ZoneAlarm or NortonFirewall or other personal firewalls (not the WinXP integrated though) will block banner ads and commercial pop-ups while leaving normally opened windows (i.e. right after you click a link) alone.
Use Ad-Aware to remove any spyware and get rid of the XP-Messenger tool either manually or with some XPTweakTool.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:57 PM   #23
Chewbacca
Zartan

I had to use RegCleaner to kill one particularly stubborn pop-up maker that adware,norton, and spybot didnt get and it drove my firewall nuts with blocked out-goings. Of course this is only reccomended if your not afraid to remove things from the registry as this can have VERY bad results if you don't know what your doing. Freaking pop-ups.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:18 AM   #24
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

used to have that problems. the adware prog worked like a charm.

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-22-2003, 07:56 PM   #25
IAmThumper
Dungeon Master

I use Mozilla and it has it's own popup killer. I haven't had any problems with pop ups. I used to have a problem with popups which was caused by all things the software my isp wanted me to install for the DSL modem. Here I'm paying for the bandwidth and they wanted me to waste it downloading stupid ads! Luckily XP handles DSL modems just fine.
I'm glad Mozilla blocks unrequested popups since I don't like having yet another program running on my machine gobbling up memory.
Be sure to let us know what the cause was!
Old 08-23-2003, 01:29 PM   #26
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Surf Secret also has a pop-up killer and you can get a free 30-day trial, which I am using at the moment. It seems to be working beautifully and I think the program is only $9.95 if you decide to keep it
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>