Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2002, 10:41 AM   #1
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

I'm trying to run a home network between my desktop and my brothers using our cable connection. The problem is that although both computers can see each other, I cannot get his to have internet access. As I've only had these for a couple of weeks (I'm not familiar with desktops) all I know is that they are AMD Durons. Mine has a 1.3ghz processor and the other has the 1.2. I could be wrong here but looking at the book that came with the computer, I think they are Socket A, PC 266 systemboards.
Both computers are also running Win98se

With that aside here's my problem. When I first got both computers, they both only had an ethernet card each so I ran my modem to my computer through a USB ethernet and used my ethernet card (SiS 900) to run the network cable to my brothers which was also using the SiS 900 ethernet card.
After 2 days of the computers being able to see each other and only mine being able to use internet connection, I kept fiddling with it and suddenly he was able to have internet access.

Now, yesterday I bought a second ethernet card (SURECOM EP-320X-R) and instaled it on mine. I uninstaled the USB ethernet and configuered the setting exactly the same way for the Surecom card. After spending countless hours on both computers however, I am again unable to get my brothers (the client comp) to access the internet again. We can see each other which means that half of the work is done but I'm finding it completely impossible to get his to access the internet again.

As I can't type out here exactly what I done, I followed a guide that I found at http://www.wpool.com.au/cablesharing

I understand that this is not an easy thing to help someone with unless they know exactly what I've done and how I've done it but I guess this is basically my last hope before having to stick another cable connection in the house just to get over the stress of it all.

Oh and finally, I run Optushome Cable in Australia in case that helps at all.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:13 AM   #2
Moni

Rex is out pulling weeds in the yard right now but I'll pull him in and tell him to take a break so that he can read your post and offer any advice he can. He is pretty knowledgeable of this kind of stuff.

Old 08-22-2002, 11:19 AM   #3
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Thanks Moni. If anyone can get this damn thing to work it would be a miracle. I say this cause I've followed the damn guide to the end and still have no luck. Won't be easy for people to be able to make much sense of what I done unless they do a LOT of reading of that link I posted but I guess it doesn't hurt to post it hey? I might just get someone half as bored as I am who'll read it and give me a few pointers of their own.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:32 AM   #4
Moni

From Rex: "I can only recommend some things to ya because I cannot access the URL you posted. Basically I see one of two things you can do: you can go out and buy a splitter (it is a Y-switch that will allow you to share one cable line between the two) it might be called a two-port switch. The second thing is to make sure NetBui and Netbios is enabled on both then make your PC a gateway system (give it an IP in the gateway settings) then change your brothers so that it is directed towards that IP."

I hope he did not make it more confusing! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2002, 11:44 AM   #5
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
From Rex: "I can only recommend some things to ya because I cannot access the URL you posted. Basically I see one of two things you can do: you can go out and buy a splitter (it is a Y-switch that will allow you to share one cable line between the two) it might be called a two-port switch. The second thing is to make sure NetBui and Netbios is enabled on both then make your PC a gateway system (give it an IP in the gateway settings) then change your brothers so that it is directed towards that IP."

I hope he did not make it more confusing! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Netbios and NetBui is enabled and I've set my IP as 192.168.0.1 with 255.255.255.0 as the subnet and his is directed to it.

One thing about the Y-switch though....it serves the same purpose as a hub right? I'm running an 8 port hub (have hopes to add more comps *LOL*) but it's the same with or without at the moment as this is only between 2 pc's.

I really appreceate you taking the time to try and help btw. Especially since something like this is (or seems to myself) virtually impossible to instruct in this way.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:52 AM   #6
Moni

From Rex: "Although a hub and a switch serve the same purpose, a switch assigns the PCs their own IPs whereas a hub just routes IPs from one PC to another.
You have to make sure the switch is one that will assign the IP though (in other words, ask when you buy it if that is what you are looking for)."

He says it could even be called a hardware switch...he doesn't remember.
As long as he doesn't suggest a light switch I guess it ain't all bad? [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-22-2002, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 08-22-2002, 12:22 PM   #7
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Okay I'll have to head out in the morning and try my luck with one of those instead. I'll let you know how it all went tomorrow!

My thanks to you Rex. Hopefully I won't be cursing at the comp as much tomorrow *L*
Old 08-22-2002, 12:56 PM   #8
Moni

From the both of us: [img]smile.gif[/img] Good Luck Bokken!
Let me (Moni) know if you need any more help and if you think Rex can be of any assistance, he's be happy to do what he can. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2002, 01:09 PM   #9
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Thanks to the both of you. To be honest I just think these two comps I got have the devil in them or something! If worse comes to worse I'll ask for Rex's assistance again but this time it will be on a 1 minute race to see who can do more damage to them with a piece of steel tubing *LOL*

Just kidding. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Trying to think positive here *LOL*
Old 08-22-2002, 01:19 PM   #10
Moni

You are very welcome [img]smile.gif[/img]
LOL Yeah you hide that steel tubing until after you've got both PC's surfing freely.
Best of Luck to you again, my friend. I am outta here for a while. I need to scrub a couple of floors and take a shower...in that order LOL.
You Take Care! See you tomorrow!

[ 08-22-2002, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]