Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2003, 08:21 PM   #11
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
I would like to add that my "degradation of society" remark was not aimed at the lawyers, but rather, as pritchke said, it was toward the public them/our selves. also, i agree with lord K on the subjuect of DUI. If the BAC is so obscenely low then maybe we shouldn't drink at all before driving. Hmmm, what a novel thought!
lol

Well, later.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:35 AM   #12
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
As far as the lawyers go, I have no problem with them dealing with the cases. What my point was, is the way they present themselves to the public in their ad. They really make it sound like the law is out to get you and they are there to protect you. You would have to hear the ad. I suppose.
Of course -- there are distateful lawyer ads everywhere. But, these shameless guys do make money. Interestingly, with firms like mine the only place you see an "ad" is at a seminar they hold or on the back of your opera or art gallery booklet. There are strict advertising rules we follow -- direct solicitation is almost absolutely prohibited, for instance (otherwise, imagine the lawyers who would use the daily paper to directly solicit potential clients). But, yeah, it is unseemly when lawyers advertise like that.

On the DUI thing, I think we'll just have to disagree. But, if you do support zero tolerance, don't blame me in 20 years when drinking coffee before driving is outlawed. Oh, and remember to take your prescription meds before driving.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:21 PM   #13
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Fair enough Timber. Although, I would say coffee is bit different then alcohol. As for prescription meds, that would fall under the common sense catogory. Did you know that a truck driver can get a DUI for Nyquil? I know a guy that lost his CDL for that. I believe for a year.
Crazy.
-------------------------------

Anyway, speaking of friv. laws suits, check this out:
From my E-mail...

No matter where you work or what kind of job you do, there is
always a risk of injury at your place of employment. Such
ailments can range from infected papercuts to back injuries
from falling off your trained elephant. Whatever your case may
be, state laws require compensation for workers who suffer
on-site injury.

In this day and age of frivolous lawsuits being filed left and
right, it comes as no surprise that some employees take
advantage of such laws by taking ridiculous claims to court.
A perfect example comes from Hamel, Minnesota where a man filed
for workers compensation after injuries caused by a birthday
spanking he received from fellow employees.

Jeremy Meinstma sued Loram Maintenance of Way, Inc., and five
co-workers, claiming he suffered back injuries, psychological
injuries and financial damages when he was wrestled to the
ground and spanked with a paddle. The ritual spanking among
workers also caused a cut on Meinstma's arm, which was tended
to immediately by his spankers.

The good news is that the county judge threw out the case
against the company. The bad news is that the case against the
workers was allowed to proceed. Even though a panel of judges
ruled in favor of the spankers, it looks like Meinstma will
still receive workers comp.
[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]