Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2003, 12:11 AM   #11
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Alpha:
The best ways i have found to ensure my code stays mine:

1. Dont give it out. i know this isnt possible if its a group project, but as a rule no one elce gets any significant parts of my code.

2. Copywright it. just make sure you put comments with © YourName Thedate.
example: © ZeroAlpha 2003

3. Easter eggs! it may sound funny, but code a few in. then if your code comes into question, simply point them out. the cheaters probably wont have gone through your code looking for well hidden supprises.
Actually, that's how she identified it as mine. I put in little "tweaks" that other people wouldn't do. For example, when the person answered a "yes/no" question, as soon as they hit either y or n it immediately jumped to the next question without hitting enter. I had to dig to find out how to do that, and it was not presented in class; I had done some other little tweak on every other project, and in each case asked her if it was acceptable. We did have our names in the comments and the author section; they just copied over them.

However, we found out what must have happened, and I just have to go by the university tomorrow and sign an affadavit stating that it was our code. The other guys in the group fixed the errors we were having on 11/20/03, and we never touched it afterwards. However, when we worked on it on 11/19/03, we put the thing on the hard drive to run it quicker while we were debugging it. When we stopped for the evening (with a few errors still out there for them to fix the next day), he forgot to delete the damn thing off of the hard drive (he was the one doing the typing during the last leg of it, and I just plain forgot). Thus, they had a 99% completed version of our program just sitting out there; they checked the access logs for the file, and someone went in there on the due date and pulled it down. Since on the day of we sat at a different computer to print out our stuff (and printed it off of a floppy from the completed program), we didn't access it that day. This is a special business lab with at most 20 computers in it, so if they got there early enough they could have just checked each of the computers searching for PA5 (the floppy drives are super slow on the PCs, so everyone was running stuff off of the hard drives).

So, I accused Mr. Party Buddy in error (sorry! ). He didn't give it to them; they just ripped him off as much as they did me and the other guy. And considering that they had to change our names, they knowingly ripped him off (some friends!). I also made sure to tell her that the same guys approached me while I was taking one of her online quizzes and asked if I would share the answers (I declined, of course, but as a near straight A student I get approached like that every semester).

The sad part are the two people who were in that group with the two guys. They didn't work much on the project, and were told by those two guys "your code has a lot of bugs, but we'll work on it the day of and get it working." They never checked back until the day of, and then didn't really review the code (can't you tell those two had no real clue about programming?). So they are going to end up getting burned on it, especially since you know the two guys will not give themselves up. However, the instructor got the impression when she talked to them that they had no clue, so maybe it will turn out for the best for them.

So hopefully things are resolved now; I'll just have to keep track and make sure that things work out. However, no matter how slow things run, nothing of mine is ever touching a lab hard drive again. And the worst part is that I'm an accounting major with a security background (and I'm taking an Auditing class currently, which talks extensively about risks of theft and fraud). So I especially should have known better (but when you were up since 4:30 in the morning, worked a full day before getting there, and stop working at 10:30PM on the program, you tend to forget little things like that).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 12-16-2003, 09:05 PM   #12
Nerull
Lord Ao

Well, hate to resurrect the old thread, but just got some new news, and didn't want to post a new thread explaining the situation all over again.

She interviewed the other group again, and just sent me an email stating that she is "convinced" that our group was not involved in any way. Thus, she is not penalizing our group at all. She didn't say what she was doing to the other people, though...

Of course, she did make sure to rip into us in the message, making sure to tell us we left ourselves open by putting the stuff in the hard drive to begin with (however, it turns out I was not the one that left the thing on the hard drive; it was the other two guys who did it). However, ended up getting my A after all!

Finally some good news (last week was just bad news after bad news).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 12-16-2003, 10:42 PM   #13
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

All's well that ends well! Glad you got out of it safely, and I'm sure your compadres have learned the lesson... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Here's one to you and your "A" [img]graemlins/drinkup.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:57 AM   #14
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

see? what did we all say here... you'll get through it... no biggie... it's nice to have that secure feeling that you know you are right... and the grade you got from it is an A. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2003, 12:08 PM   #15
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

OK, roughy the same thing happened to me two years ago. I was in a group with a buddy of mine, nothing wrong with him. We were working in C++ on a prime number coding program. Our code was stolen by a group from another class and presented to the teacher. Me and my friend were called to the professor's room to clarify on things, the other group was there. The professor told us to prove it the program was ours. I got to the keyboard, typed in my identification code(simple three lines in C that do miracles) and it displayed on the screen a string with the name of the program, PRIMUS and it's creators, us. The other group failed the assignment and the semester.
On a sidenote, when doing signatures on programs, either bury it in a check-up part, or in a sub-program. Use alot of variables here.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:41 PM   #16
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
OK, roughy the same thing happened to me two years ago. I was in a group with a buddy of mine, nothing wrong with him. We were working in C++ on a prime number coding program. Our code was stolen by a group from another class and presented to the teacher. Me and my friend were called to the professor's room to clarify on things, the other group was there. The professor told us to prove it the program was ours. I got to the keyboard, typed in my identification code(simple three lines in C that do miracles) and it displayed on the screen a string with the name of the program, PRIMUS and it's creators, us. The other group failed the assignment and the semester.
On a sidenote, when doing signatures on programs, either bury it in a check-up part, or in a sub-program. Use alot of variables here.
Good idea! I think I'll try something similar to that in the future. I could just imagine the look on the faces of the other group when you did that.