Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2003, 09:04 PM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

The subject says it all.

I am taking a COBOL class, and the final project was a group project. I worked on it with two guys who I had just met in class. One of them barely worked on the project (working full time and many church functions), while the other one is pretty much leaving town after this semester to go to San Diego. Which means, very simply, I wrote most of the program. I finished the rough program on 11/18/03, and sat down with the guy leaving for San Diego the next night and hammered out most of the final program (there were a few validation tests that we had problems working out). I forgot to bring a disk big enough to fit the new program (had a bunch of stuff on mine, and barely fit the rough program), so he put it on his disk, told me that he and the other guy would fix the stuff and finish the program with the other guy, and we would turn it in on due date (12/2/03). The next time I saw either guy was on the due date, where we printed our output and put with his disk to be turned in. I still to this day never got a copy of the program that I wrote.

Today, after taking my final, I was called over by the instructor, along with two members of another group. The reason is because we had identical projects! They pretty much turned in my code that I had written. The two of them were pretty clueless; they had barely worked on it themselves, and stated that the other two guys in their group did most of the work (I believe it, too; I could tell from the way they were describing things). The other two guys in the group are party buddies with the guy in my group that is leaving to San Diego (the one who had the disk). However, here I am having to tell the instructor that it was my code, and that I was clueless as to how it got to their group (the other group finished their stuff the day it was due). Of course, she spoke to all three of those other guys individually before we walked up, and they denied the whole thing. I think the instructor believes me when I stated that I did not have the code at all, and gave it to the other guy, but still it begs the question how my code got to these other guys who I do not even know.

But here I am being investigated for academic dishonesty; I have an MBA, and am working on my second bachelors, and never have I done such a thing. And worse, this is the SECOND time this has happened in a computer class with me (once again in a group project). At least the last time they got the girl to confess. I had to tell the instructor that (I just told her the truth on everything that happened).

It just really ticks me off that I can't trust anyone. I hope everything works out for the best, but potentially I could get screwed because this *#@% who is getting ready to take off to another part of the country had to give his buddies my work. Potentially, I can get expelled over this (I doubt it will happen, but I'd end up getting no credit for the course at the very least). But still, I already had little faith in others (after getting screwed repeatedly in the past), but to get burned like this pretty much makes me want to hunt this guy down and work off a little anger on him (I know better than that, but ten years ago I might have done just that).

Any suggestions on how to clear my name on this? It just really irks the hell out of me that I have to defend myself like this (this is the second time this week I got screwed; I got burned by a mechanic earlier this week (charged too much on labor) and my car still doesn't work right).

While I'm waiting for responses, I'll be playing my evil party in BG2 (the one I only play when I'm pissed off at the world).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 12-09-2003, 09:50 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Wow. That sucks. First and foremost, level with the prof as you've done here. Get him on your side and investigate what happened and how.

Well, if I read you correctly, you do have a copy of the rough program on your disk, dated November 18. Correct? If so, I'd invite the teacher to check it out. Also, if it's your code, it will have your personality in it -- variables, comments, style, and so on. You should have other programs available (I'm suspecting) that show that similar style.

You should also be better able to identify how the logic works and why you did things in certain places.

I would also turn the tables -- they have a copy of your code, and you're the bad guy? Why don't they have their own code?

I think it would be a question of who had the code first, and that can be identified through analysis of files on systems and backups. If it was done on a school computer system (through your account), the IS department will have logs of when you logged in and for how long. If it's on your own PCs, you can still go back through the files and look at some history on it.

In short, if this is going to be a serious issue, make sure you work with someone who can support you in the process. And remember, you've got a bunch of friends over here... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good luck.

*B*
Minister, etc. (ret.)
Old 12-09-2003, 10:12 PM   #3
Jorath Calar
Harper

Gees what a bunch of loosers... I hope everything turns out fine, Bungleaus suggestions sound good, you have strong arguments here... good luck
Old 12-09-2003, 10:21 PM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

The funny part was the instructor immediately identified it as my code. It was based on other projects that we had worked on during the semester, and much of the data structures were "transplanted" from earlier programs that I wrote (we were using the same data file, so little reason to change anything). Thus, she knew right away who wrote it. I made sure to explain chronologically what happened.

And the worst part is we worked in a lab that did not require a login. So no proof of when we worked on it. However, I could tell that she believes me (it was just too convenient that the two party buddies from the other group worked on it on the due date, and that the only person in our group that had possession of the code was the third party buddy). However, it still looks really bad having my code being turned in by two groups. It hasn't progressed to an investigation...yet. I have a feeling that she may just give us all zeroes on that project (55 point out of a 600 point class hurts but I can survive it with a B), but who knows. That's what happened the last time.

It just stinks that it's happened twice in my college career. I absolutely hated group projects to begin with, and once they state something is a group project, you are pretty much stuck.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 12-10-2003, 06:17 AM   #5
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

wow... at least that doesn't happen here... there are slackers... but never cheaters like those... well not really... and since it's computer... well... i have to say it's very rampant there...

i feel for you man... but since you are the all-knowing here... whatever happens you will win... appeal to the teacher or to the school if she gives you a zero... use your magna carta very well...
Old 12-10-2003, 06:56 AM   #6
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

That fully sucks! Revenge can be awfull sweet...
Old 12-10-2003, 07:10 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

That's awful! But maybe you won't end up losing credit if the instructor knows it's your work! She may figure out that you'd be pretty dumb to give it to the other guys to use, obviously she'd see that! And since you told her the truth, I'm guessing she's going to figure out that what you said is what happened.

Best of luck in this!
Old 12-10-2003, 04:06 PM   #8
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
That's terrible, Nerull! Having recently suffered through group projects that I had to do a large part of the work myself on, I would have sympathised with there, even without the cheating! Unfortunately, if you're thought to have shown someone your work and they copy it, you're almost as guilty as they are - it's considered your responsibility to make sure your work remains in your possession. I imagine that's why, even though the teacher knows you were the original author, you are still under investigation. Perhaps Bungleau's suggestions will be helpful - I hope so! How galling to have to cop it on the chin when you are completely innocent.

The problem with cheaters really, is that they are so stupid - as if the teacher wouldn't notice the identical projects and action wouldn't be taken! But, they are either too lazy or too dumb to change the work so it's not so noticeable - hence why they're cheating [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img] . When my brother was a tutor a couple of years back, two people handed in the same assignment - my brother was tipped off by the conspicuous margin - not often seen on typed pages! He probably wouldn't have noticed so easily without that - stupid! And of course, that they simply don't care if they ruin someone's future - cheating is so serious, you can be kicked out of uni for it!

I find it hard to believe there are no cheaters where you are, Bahamut. There are cheaters everywhere!
Old 12-10-2003, 11:09 PM   #9
Zero Alpha

The best ways i have found to ensure my code stays mine:

1. Dont give it out. i know this isnt possible if its a group project, but as a rule no one elce gets any significant parts of my code.

2. Copywright it. just make sure you put comments with © YourName Thedate.
example: © ZeroAlpha 2003

3. Easter eggs! it may sound funny, but code a few in. then if your code comes into question, simply point them out. the cheaters probably wont have gone through your code looking for well hidden supprises.

[ 12-10-2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Zero Alpha ]
Old 12-10-2003, 11:49 PM   #10
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I know how it is, man. I had the same thing happen to me in my child Psychology class when it came to making group-projects, I ended up doing the work for 5 people, wasn't all that hard really, I used flash to make a cute little interactive quiz game that followed a 2 meg presentation on the stages of development with interactive music controlls... but that's beside the point. Just because I had the best software didnt mean I had to type all the quiz questiosn or all the "slide" text information, yet i did.