Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2001, 04:17 PM   #1
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

Hey everyone! - need a hand here if you're a wizzy on HTML.

I was trying to make a site the other day using Word's built in word templates.

Well - it went rather well.......actually too well since I don't know what to do now and its beyond my level of understanding.

Okay, presuming I've got a word document and I'm going to save it to HTML "Web Page" format right? You with me?

Then I save it and the page comes out fine - but there is this little folder, which is named after the web page itself (in the same location that I saved the web page): and it contains images, gifs that I have incorporated into the web page. (E.g. - the title ) - serving as a "duplicate".

There is this other file with a *.XML extension called "filelist" - which I don't know what to do with it, but too afraid to delete it since it might bring out the worse in me.

Now - here's the problem. When I upload my pages onto a host/server the images that I "inserted" into the web pages turn blank! It appears as squares with red cross and it happens, even when I upload that missing image into the same directory as the web page! I even tried uploading the *.XML file along with the other images but it's still the same.

Well - I'm not the giving up type, but the "URL" or "File Location" that the web PAGE images point to are ON MY HARD DRIVE. So this must the reason that they are not showing up.

Presumably that I upload images and THEN insert the images- it might help? But I don't know where I can change the file location of the image itself in MS Word 2000.

And since I used the same title across 5 different web pages - that equals bloody 4 duplicates of the same GIF/JPEG in 5 different folders! WHAT THE...?

I think I'm doing it the wrong way - has anyone created a site using MS Word before and successfully avoided this stupid image problem?

Cheers! (Save My Hair!!)

------------------

Greetings Mortals. My Name Is Wah, Arch Lich Wah.
Old 05-31-2001, 04:25 PM   #2
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I've done what your describing in Word 97.

What I did was go through and edit the hyperlinks in the document to reflect the location of the images on your website. If you right click on the image place holder, you should get a little box that lets you edit the hyperlink.

Otherwise you can go into the view source mode and manually edit the hyperlinks. This may actually be faster if you need to replace several occurrances of the same link -- just search and replace with the image location from your website.

Good luck. I've found Word to be a rather cumbersome way to do HTML coding.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Old 05-31-2001, 04:33 PM   #3
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

Ahem..........I can't do "any" HTML editing.

I know SOME (pretty much because I use it here a lot - but there you go)

But I'll try that hyperlinking thing anyway, thanks. (Perhaps I won't look like Jerome after all )

------------------

Old 05-31-2001, 05:05 PM   #4
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Wah, have you tried using MS Frontpage? It's almost as easy to use as Word, and editing the content is simple. Otherwise, if you want, you can email it to me, and I can take a look at it for you, then let you know what you need to do.

------------------

Protector and Defender of Nature
Awake, Aware and Loving Life to the best of my abilities
Old 05-31-2001, 05:56 PM   #5
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

Yes, I've got frontpage too, I've tried creating it with frontpage and it doesn't seem to be easier.

I think what FB said about the hyperlink didn't work. It only creates a link so you can't specify what image to open - that's what I'm after. Sorry FB, thanks anyway. I'm still too early to try out any html yet

Thanks too Zeeke, tell you what - if nothing works by tomorrow, you can have a probe at it okay?

Still don't get it: IS the *.XML necessary and why does it create "copies" everytime I use the same JPEG in another page? Which copy should I load up? How do I load it up? What about directories? Do they need to be in the same directory?

Too many question! - Better just do trial and error instead.

------------------

Old 05-31-2001, 06:33 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeeke75:
Wah, have you tried using MS Frontpage? It's almost as easy to use as Word, and editing the content is simple. Otherwise, if you want, you can email it to me, and I can take a look at it for you, then let you know what you need to do.

Sorry Zeekester! But in my experience, MS Frontpage adds a whole lot of extra (unnecessary) MS proprietary code to your html. Makes it a pain to edit the html directly and and many sites don't like pages done with it. I know we had several publishers tell us they would not take anything done with that program.

Oh and Wah? I haven't got any fancy html programs (yet!) but I use a little html editor called HTML-Kit.

Cloudy

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 05-31-2001).]
Old 05-31-2001, 06:36 PM   #7
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

Sorry Zeekester! But in my experience, MS Frontpage adds a whole lot of extra (unnecessary) MS proprietary code to your html. Makes it a pain to edit the html directly and and many sites don't like pages done with it. I know we had several publishers tell us they would not take anything done with that program.

Oh and Wah? I haven't got any fancy html programs (yet!) but I use a little html editor called HTML-Kit.

Cloudy

Well, it does do that on occasion, but I always go in and edit the HTML code myself afterwards. Make sure it's clean. I just like Frontpage 'cause it makes laying out the tables and graphics so easy. But, to each his own, I guess.

------------------

Tracker of the fair Cleric Charean
Old 05-31-2001, 07:53 PM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Well, it does do that on occasion, but I always go in and edit the HTML code myself afterwards. Make sure it's clean. I just like Frontpage 'cause it makes laying out the tables and graphics so easy. But, to each his own, I guess.
Actually, Zeeke, I haven't got to the point of using nice wysiwyg html programs yet. I'm one of those people who likes to understand the code, so for better or for worse (and definitely for simpler) I've been trying to learn basic html. Had a hiatus of almost two months with no study or work on it,so I'm almost back to square one...sigh..And tables and graphics are tough!

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 05-31-2001, 08:01 PM   #9
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

I finally went out and bought a couple of books to help me out. Got one on HTML, one on ASP, and one on Java. Learning little by little. And no, I haven't forgot about that page for you. I will try to get to it tonight.

------------------

Tracker of the fair Cleric Charean
Old 05-31-2001, 08:27 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I finally went out and bought a couple of books to help me out. Got one on HTML, one on ASP, and one on Java. Learning little by little. And no, I haven't forgot about that page for you. I will try to get to it tonight.
Thanks! You're a sweetheart, Zeeke!

I have a few basic html books, but haven't gotten far at all. Lots to learn/practice and too little time to do it. Java? EEEF! I'm not even going to admit it exists for a long time! LOL

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever