Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2004, 07:58 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

Lucky again this time!

Chemical 'bomb plot' in UK foiled

Intelligence agents in the UK and US have foiled an alleged chemical bomb plot in Britain, the BBC has learnt.

The plot was believed to involve detonating a combination of explosive and a chemical called osmium tetroxide.

Experts say in gas from it could be lethal in a confined space.

The plotters were thought to be sympathetic to the aims of al-Qaeda and the intended target was believed to be British civilians.

The chemical has a legitimate scientific use for research but is highly destructive to peoples' eyes, lungs and skin.

The plot was foiled after US and British intelligence intercepted communications between the plotters and it is not thought that they had managed to obtain any of the chemical, osmium tetroxide.

The target was thought to be areas in which there would be concentrations of people, possibly within a confined space.

The UK has been on a high state of alert since bombings in Madrid on 11 March claimed 191 lives.

Metropolitan Police commissioner Sir John Stevens said a terror attack on London was inevitable but Home Secretary David Blunkett has tried to play this down.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't understand? Why is it us and Spain all the time now?

[ 04-06-2004, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:13 AM   #2
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
But you do understand Donut, you've answered that question many times in the past.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:21 AM   #3
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
But you do understand Donut, you've answered that question many times in the past. [/QUOTE]I didn't think anyone believed me so I assumed that I must be wrong!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 04-06-2004, 08:50 AM   #4
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

For what it's worth, I believe you. And I feel for you man, I truly do. You are in a hell of a spot and I would hate to have to share your burden. My sister lives in London, I worry for her safety too. Keep your eyes open, for everyone's sake.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:33 AM   #5
Donut
Jack Burton

It's no burden. We've lived under the threat of terrorism (albeit on a smaller scale) for 35 years. What makes me angry this time is that the treats could have been avoided if our glorious leader hadn't wanted to cement his place in history.

Blair doesn't travel by tube and he has a huge underground bunker to run to if needs be. I suppose he took his own falily's safety into account when he disregarded the advice of British Intelligence that we would be at greater risk if we involved ourselves in the 2nd Gulf War.

BTW - I have no problem about involvement in the 1st Gulf War and in AfghANISTAN.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:55 AM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

At least our governments are catching a much higher percentage of the terrorist plots these days. That bit of fallout and learning from 9/11, and 3/11, seems to be a positive.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:07 AM   #7
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
At least our governments are catching a much higher percentage of the terrorist plots these days. That bit of fallout and learning from 9/11, and 3/11, seems to be a positive.
The cynic in me is saying that's because there are more of them to catch!
Old 04-06-2004, 12:23 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

While I prefer being cynical, the small optimist in me is saying it's mostly because (1) the management levels of their organization have been interrupted and (2) current world affairs are causing them to act in haste, both of which can result in sloppy planning and execution of plots.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:03 PM   #9
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

The things that i type here are for 2 gulf war criticizers.
while it appears off topic, it is on topic.
please read it all, before claiming otherwise.
tx. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I wonder-Someone made a good decision.

Removing saddam helps a lot to the overall antiterrorist effort.
It helps also to the people's rights.
Terrorist camps destroyed (their training places were naturally the iraq army bases). Funding of terror is cut a bit. people there have more freedom, and a tyrant is gone.

No protests were while some "playboy" bombed cosovo, and Miloshevich, yet another tyrant, was removed.
Suits Miloshevich right. He deserved it.

Now, everyone criticize Blair, Bush and spain former ruling party leader. (forgot his name).
Now everyone says-The second gulf war is wrong.
Then why did not you said-The cosovo was wrong?

Oh, yes sorry.
There are no WoMD, to be found in iraq.
(did any one bothered to check out syria? What no one? tsk, tsk, tsk).
At the very least 300,000 people that died simply do not count.

One can wonder about this 2 wars and the reaction that ythey got from the general populace.

Why i type all this?

The reason is simple.
the Radical Islamic Terror may not exist without monetary support, and without support of some state.
To name a few-Iran, Saudia, former iraq, syria.
You want to deal with it? Take out the money base and the countries that support it.
without it, the terror will never end.
So Blair made a wise move, even if his motives were false (which must be still verified).

Why to blame him?

As Churchill said after Munchen-you chose shame instead of war. now we have war on our hands.
(Naturally the quote is not correct. me and my memory. [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

Loads of people chose not to fight the war against terror. They want to be at homes, hiding from the reality outside.

Wake up Ladies and Gentelmen!

You will have to fight it, sooner or later.

You did not declare war, war has been declared against you!

[ 04-06-2004, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Black Baron ]

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:25 PM   #10
wellard
Dracolisk

Well black Barron I guess as a citizen of Israel you know about Saddam's sponsorship of terror in countries other than Iraq. I for one became a convert in the need to remove Saddam from power as well as being a full supporter of Gulf war1, Afghanistan and the intervention in the Balkans. But that does not mean we cannot be angry about the lies, deceit and pure bullshit from our 'leaders'

I also agree with the idea that some WOMD may have been stowed in Syria. But would it also have made sense to concentrate on Afghanistan and to finish off that war rather than start a second campaign? As Israel has shown there is more than one way to remove a terrorist sponsoring leader of a country.

Back on track to focus on the thread topic. Well done to the intelligence forces to stop what could have been a nightmare attack on the underground rail system in London. Again surprisingly this story has had very little coverage down here in OZ. Considering our close ties with the UK why does this story get hidden behind taxes and house prices in our news coverage? I guess again its because there is no 'sexy' CNN pictures of dead bodies or grieving family pictures.

Or just maybe after seeing the removal from power in Spain of one of the coalition powers, that the other countries governments US/OZ no longer want to dwell on what sort of hornets nest they have stirred up.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote