Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2001, 02:13 PM   #1
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Has everyone seen the news about the 5 children that were drowned to death (alledgedly) by their mother, in Texas! I am very saddened by this and my condolences go to the father who was at work at the time of the tradgedy. There are many newstories on this so I will not post a specific link. Just wanted to hear people's thoughts/emotions on this

------------------

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Old 06-22-2001, 02:38 PM   #2
Moni

Another sad sad case of Clinical Depression gone too far.
My thoughts are that this woman needed more support from her family (like they left her at home to go to a birthday party just days earlier knowing how bad off she was progressivly getting).
She was suffering from post partum depression and her father had just died...she was sadder than sad and on meds that weren't helping.
Her killing her children was an out of the blue kind of action that no one expected out of her and I really feel for the father for his loss.
I feel for her in her lonliness.

ABC, I think, is doing a special on depression this evening (at least that is what I think I remember from watching the news yesterday).

I think everyone should watch it and reach out to anyone they know is suffering from depression be it mild or severe. It is a curable and maintainable illness that has gone too far being overlooked and dismissed.

Moni

------------------

Old 06-22-2001, 03:13 PM   #3
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I was sick when I heard for about this wednesday night. Couldn't stop thinking about it all night. Didn't get much sleep. I feel sorry both parents in this case. The mother obviously, wasn't reponsible for her activing ons, but will have to live with this for the rest of her life. The father just lost his whole family. I have to question their wisdom in having another child after the problems she experienced with the fourth child. For those those that don't know the background, she experienced severe post-natal(sp) depression after she had her fourth child, to the extent that she tried to commit suicide. She had been on one type of medication or another since then. I don't know what they were thinking when they had another child. Anyway, it's one of the saddest stories I ever heard.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?
Old 06-22-2001, 03:28 PM   #4
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

All I can say is I feel is very, very sad. I have treated patients who have done the same, and it is one of the hardest things I have ever done helping them forgive themsleves. They never really do.

The information we get from a few news casts is not enough to allow us to place blame - even as an experienced professional. Please just watch, greive and wait for the right people to unravel the mess.

I dont mean this as an attack at anyone - but it is just the voice of very bitter experience. I have dealt with way to many tragedies - I suppose it is part of the job when you deal with dangerous people. But I have also lost dear freinds and colleagues who were persecuted by the media and killed themselves. Enquiries exonerated them - but no one cared as they were on a witch hunt.

I DO know there have been some atrociuos cases of negligence as well - but lets wait till the full story has been examied careflyy and closely before we judge.
Old 06-22-2001, 04:42 PM   #5
Gaelic
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by kiwidoc:
All I can say is I feel is very, very sad. I have treated patients who have done the same, and it is one of the hardest things I have ever done helping them forgive themsleves. They never really do.

The information we get from a few news casts is not enough to allow us to place blame - even as an experienced professional. Please just watch, greive and wait for the right people to unravel the mess.

I dont mean this as an attack at anyone - but it is just the voice of very bitter experience. I have dealt with way to many tragedies - I suppose it is part of the job when you deal with dangerous people. But I have also lost dear freinds and colleagues who were persecuted by the media and killed themselves. Enquiries exonerated them - but no one cared as they were on a witch hunt.

I DO know there have been some atrociuos cases of negligence as well - but lets wait till the full story has been examied careflyy and closely before we judge.
THANK YOU!!!! Just because someone may be depressed does not excuse their actions. I am not a psychologist or psychiatrist, but I do work with depression so I have some understanding of it. The trial will happen and she will get her fair shake. Although, I am not familiar with multiple murder being a result of depression alone. Perhaps it was some type of psychotic episode.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-22-2001, 04:49 PM   #6
cuthbertio
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I totally feel sorry for the cop who had to enter the house and find those 5 dead children including 1 who looked like it was recently killed. If I was that guy, I would be under serious shock and would let my kids know I loved them with all my heart.
I understand that she was going through a lot in her life as even I have thought about ending it all (as most of us have) but I got over it and I now try to live life to the fullest for who knows what is round the corner.

------------------

He cometh at night
He stiketh at night
He drinketh at pub

[This message has been edited by cuthbertio (edited 06-22-2001).]
Old 06-22-2001, 04:55 PM   #7
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

Gealic - Major Depression can often be accompanied by psychosis. In laymans terms this means not being able to tell what is real and what isn't - delusions or false beliefs, hallucinations (seeing and/or hearing things). This is even more common in post partum depression.

There will not just be a trial, there will be an inquest into the deaths and inquiries to see what went wrong. What I am asking for is not to judge anyone yet - wait till these things have happened. Witch hunts just make the mess worse.

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 06-22-2001, 05:06 PM   #8
Gaelic
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by kiwidoc:
Gealic - Major Depression can often be accompanied by psychosis. In laymans terms this means not being able to tell what is real and what isn't - delusions or false beliefs, hallucinations (seeing and/or hearing things). This is even more common in post partum depression.

There will not just be a trial, there will be an inquest into the deaths and inquiries to see what went wrong. What I am asking for is not to judge anyone yet - wait till these things have happened. Witch hunts just make the mess worse.

Thanks Kiwidoc! I am still learning all this stuff. I certainly have not yet judged either way. I am just a bit surprised by the slant of the news reports.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-22-2001, 05:57 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaelic:
Thanks Kiwidoc! I am still learning all this stuff. I certainly have not yet judged either way. I am just a bit surprised by the slant of the news reports.

The media will have their pound of flesh, one way or another. A pity.

Old 06-22-2001, 07:27 PM   #10
Moni

Locally it was portrayed on the news as a tragedy for everyone concerned.
It was covered intermittently throughout the day as it happened, with interviews with the woman's neighbors and footage of the birthday party, etc.
It shocked everyone...no one expected her to take such drastic action against her own children but no one was pointing any fingers of blame at her, or her husband. The facts were announced as they were discovered, her past with post partum depression, her recent bout with it again and the drugs that she had complained to close friends "did not seem to be making any difference anymore". Her father dying was just the beginning of that last swirl through the downward spiral for her.
No one in the local media was blaming her or judging her...they were seriously feeling for this woman and her troubles and the loss to her whole family.
Although I cannot emphasize with her position regarding the post partum and the meds, I do know how devasting it is when your beloved father dies. It tears your heart out.
I honestly feel for this woman and if she is convicted and sentenced to prison or given the death penalty I for one will be shocked.
In her state of mind I do not believe she can be held responsible and punished. If she is made accountable for her actions, the only course to take IMO is to get her better help in dealing with her total breakdown and help her get her life back.

If this turns out to be one of those Susan Smith type murders, I'll be devastated but won't cry for her protection the way I do as the story is portrayed in its first light.

It is beyond sad.

Moni

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 06-22-2001).]