Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2002, 07:31 PM   #1
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

When I was preparing to fight Daveorn I had my main character/tank get all juiced up with potions and enhanced with defensive spells. Then I saved the game and started the battle. After a couple of tactical errors, I decided to reload and give my Tank a potion of Magic Blocking as to take the brunt of Daveorn's spells. I figured that this would dispell all of the additional temporary magical benifits he had, but it didn't. Is it normal for this/these potion(s) to not dispell the effects that a character previously has?? Seems kind of wierd to me.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:45 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Umm, what does the description say? I haven't used one of those potions for a long time, my own strategy for Davaeron is completely different. Even if the description does say it dispels all magical effects of X level or lower, I can think of several items whose descriptions are incomplete, or even inaccurate.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:42 PM   #3
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Posted By: SixOfSpades
Umm, what does the description say? I haven't used one of those potions for a long time, my own strategy for Davaeron is completely different. Even if the description does say it dispels all magical effects of X level or lower, I can think of several items whose descriptions are incomplete, or even inaccurate.
(Descriptions are Abreviated)

-Potion of Magic Blocking: Provides immunity to all spells up to and including 5th level. And will remove all spell effects of 5th level or lower from the imbiber.

-Potion of Magic Protection: 50% protection to all forms of magic. Can be a blessing or a curse.

-Potion of Magic Shielding: 50% resistance to all forms of magic damage.

I am quite confident that I used 'Magic Blocking', simply because I remember Daveorn shooting a lightning bolt at me and it caused zero damage. However it is possible that I used one of the later two, but if that was the case I should have received some (50%) damage.
It just seems strange to me because I have always been under the impression that these potions would negate my character's previous magical effects. Hell maybe it's a bug, who knows?
Old 07-10-2002, 12:29 AM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Judging by your description, it could also have been Magic Protection. Magic Resistance does not behave like Physical and Elemental Resistances: A character with 50% Missile and Fire Resistance would take exactly half the damage if he were hit with a Fire Arrow. A character with 50% Magic Resistance who gets hit with a spell has a 50/50 chance of taking no damage at all. (Multiple hits are counted separately: If 5 Magic Missiles are headed toward you, each of those 5 has a 50% chance of being effective.) If you are hit, though, you take full damage, unless you have resistance to Magic Damage (Potion of Magic Shielding). Also, I think resistance to Magic Damage comes into play only when the spell does not fall into other areas (for example, Lightning Bolt would be Electricity Resist, not Magic Damage Resist).

[EDIT] P.S. And you thought this was such a simple little game. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-10-2002, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]
Old 07-10-2002, 12:40 AM   #5
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Is this sshhtuff all explained in the little brown book, or did you figure this all out on your own???
Old 07-10-2002, 06:45 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Both.

(My 2nd-shortest post ever.)
Old 07-12-2002, 04:29 PM   #7
Midget Gems

Reading this discussion has reminded me that I have been taking a lot of this stuff about Magic Resistance for granted, without actually understanding it. The subtle difference between Magic Resistance (avoiding the effects of a spell ) and Magic Damage Resistance (reducing the damage sustained ) is important in both attacking and defensive situations against powerful opponents.

I like the idea that Magic Resistance can exceed 100%, I have previously benefited from this using Fire Resistance in the Fireball Room of Durlags Tower. However recently I was on the receiving end when I was in the Flesh Golem Cave. My party were a bit weak to face up to him, so I lead him into a Lightning Trap to see if he would be damaged by it. (I think this trap is only in DSOTSC) The outcome was that each rebound hit him for typically -5 points of damage, resulting in him gaining about 30 HP. Oops, time to reach for the reload button and find a better strategy.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:41 PM   #8
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
I dunno why Davaeorn was such a tough battle for some. I just dispel his defences, and swarm him. His spells always go disrupted by Imoen's arrows or Dynaheir's bullets and/or magic missle spells. He never touched me even once. Now that mustard jelly in the south of his area, THAT was a tough.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote