Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 11:03 PM   #1
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

The news story is here.

Quote:
from the article:
WASHINGTON -- Cindy Sheehan, the California woman who has used her son's death in Iraq to spur the anti-war movement, was arrested Monday while protesting outside the White House.

Sheehan and several dozen other protesters sat down on the sidewalk after marching along the pedestrian walkway on Pennsylvania Avenue. Police warned them three times that they were breaking the law by failing to move along, then began making arrests.

Sheehan, 48, was the first taken into custody. She stood up and was led to a police vehicle while protesters chanted, "The whole world is watching."

Sheehan's 24-year-old son, Casey, was killed in an ambush in Sadr City, Iraq, last year. She attracted worldwide attention last month with her 26-day vigil outside President Bush's Texas ranch.

Sheehan was among several hundred demonstrators who marched around the White House on Monday and then stopped in front and began singing and chanting "Stop the war now!"

The demonstration is part of a broader anti-war effort on Capitol Hill organized by United for Peace and Justice, an umbrella group. Representatives from anti-war groups were meeting Monday with members of Congress to urge them to work to end the war and bring home the troops.
Someone recalls the days of her youth, full of anti-war protests and peace marches.

Actually, I think she is becoming addicted to her media attention and the false sense of empowerment that brings. She's getting a taste for it now, so we'll probably be seeing more and more of Cindy Sheehan until, finally, people get tired of hearing her wail about how she lost her son. People die in military conflict, lady--get over it.

Notice that she is being trained in how to be a media personna from the Revs. Al Sharpton and Jessee Jackson..... Are they riding her media attention train or is she riding theirs? [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

MagiK told me elsewhere that apparently the "protest" and subsequent arrest were merely devices to give Ms. Sheehan some more sympathy and media attention. Can someone say "media prostitute"? [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Considering that the law says you can walk in front of the white house all day with signs, but you can't sit down (for security reasons) it seems likely that she found out about it and set herself up to be arrested in order to get more publicity and make the gov't look like it's oppressing protestors.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Who cares about Sheehan -- I'm just glad to see the spirit of protest returning in this country having been quelled for 4 years. AMERICANS -- rise up! go out there, get a sign, and wave it menacingly! get beat up by a cop! smash something! for FREEDOM!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 11:27 AM   #4
Khazadman Risen
Manshoon

Cindy sheehan is paid to make her speeches. Which means she is making money off her son's death. And of course the arrest was set up. Did you see her grin as the cops carried her away? There is nothing genuine about this person. I would call her a whore for making money off her son, but that would be an insult to prostitutes everywhere.

[ 09-27-2005, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Khazadman Risen ]
Old 09-27-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
Chewbacca
Zartan

Sheehan is now nothing more than a punching bag for the vitriol-filled right. As a protester she is merely one amongst hundreds of thousands and millions who agree.

Man ya'll don't know the whole point of a protest is to attract publicity? Duh! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 09-27-2005, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 09-27-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Riddle me this Chewy!
Why is she only protesting now?
Why is she only protesting GWOT?
Why is she not protesting Balkans?
There are soldiers on the gound patrolling in Bosnia, Kosovo, and 'other' places that are in harms way. There have been KIAs there as well, but the media has forgotten about them. Why?

The only issue with this person, is she fails to realize she is becoming the next "Hanoi Jane"!

--------------------

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:50 PM   #7
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Because the news media mostly forgot about the Balkans? I'm not sure, just throwing this out there. Same for the East Timor situation I believe.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:26 PM   #8
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
Riddle me this Chewy!
Why is she only protesting GWOT?
Why is she not protesting Balkans?
There are soldiers on the gound patrolling in Bosnia, Kosovo, and 'other' places that are in harms way. There have been KIAs there as well, but the media has forgotten about them. Why?

The only issue with this person, is she fails to realize she is becoming the next "Hanoi Jane"!

How should I know? Why is it relevant anyway?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:40 PM   #9
Orbost
The Magister

Getting yourself arrested on live TV seems a perfectly valid and effective protesting tactic to me. It keeps her on the front pages, and keeps people talking about the rights or wrongs of keeping troops in Iraq.
Orbost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:16 AM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sad

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
Riddle me this Chewy!

Actually, there is a salient point to be made here. Sheehan was aforded the opportunity to meet with GWB in 2004, and she seemingly accepted his explanation, yet her protest began in mid 2005.