Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2004, 05:56 PM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

ToB Spoilers(probably)

Isn't Throne of Bhaal much more suitable for solo games than Shadows of Amn?

Shadows of Amn contains many dialoguish quests, and contains quite a few annoying parts that you have to live through to get back to killing and overall, the main emphasis is on roleplay. Throne of Bhaal, however, is all about the powergaming, HLA gaining and boss killing.

The absolute best solo experience I had was with a F/M/T in Throne of Bhaal. I had a lvl 40/40/40 cap put on, so the game was quite enjoyable, but not too overpowered(as opposed to SoA when you get Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting ).

I have made plans to start a new Monk in Throne of Bhaal and raise all his stats to 25(A Monk with realistic stats surely wouldn't make it with the Tougher mod on). I think it'll be a blast!

Any thoughts?
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:09 PM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

It's certainly less of a overbalance, since the extra levels you get don't matter THAT much after a while.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:51 PM   #3
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
ToB Spoilers(probably)
Throne of Bhaal, however, is all about the powergaming, HLA gaining and boss killing.

I think not. Powergamers can make anything powergaming. Playing SoA -> ToB, all the NPCs I take from SoA have their own endings as well in the end of ToB. Or from BG1, you take ToB NPC into the mix, that's another roleplaying aspect of ToB (or BG saga), not just powergaming. It's certainly more battle oriented, but it's not *all* about the powergaming.

[ 04-22-2004, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: teardropmina ]
Old 04-22-2004, 09:11 PM   #4
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Plus, ToB has a good amount of dialogue that in-party NPCs can interrupt at, even affect whether you get a quest or not.
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:07 AM   #5
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by teardropmina:
quote:
Originally posted by uss:
ToB Spoilers(probably)
Throne of Bhaal, however, is all about the powergaming, HLA gaining and boss killing.

I think not. Powergamers can make anything powergaming. Playing SoA -> ToB, all the NPCs I take from SoA have their own endings as well in the end of ToB. Or from BG1, you take ToB NPC into the mix, that's another roleplaying aspect of ToB (or BG saga), not just powergaming. It's certainly more battle oriented, but it's not *all* about the powergaming. [/QUOTE]Yes, of course, ToB has lots' of RPG value when first playing through BGII, or BGI even.

But what I was talking about is starting a new *solo* character in ToB - That certainly, most definitely has less roleplay value than going through SoA with a solo character.
uss is offline   Reply With Quote