Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

Does anyone else have either of these? The first Civilization game or the game that was an attempt at a smaller civilization game called Colonization?

On any civilization game, what is your strategy? mine is to try to make peace and create new technology until my enimies crush me. It doesn't work very well.
LS0158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 08:08 PM   #2
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Yeah Civ I was actually the first game that really got me hooked. Oh those countless wasted hours.. but boy was it fun. Nowadays I only play III and a bit of II, whom require a little different tactics. I usually try to expand as much as possible, then start taking out smaller neigbours one by one, either with steel or try to get them to military alliances. Of course, all sorts of espionage and backstabbing are close to my heart, that way you don´t have to waste resources on that field.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:19 PM   #3
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

With the old Civ try this (rather cheesy):

Use the Map of Earth. Start as Russians (it is the starting position that matters and their tune is cool too).

Get the Wheel ASAP! Spam chariots and go for Europe. (Lots of civs, bundled together, most likely at war with each other: Easy pickings!)

Go see what's happening down in the Middle East/India area.

You are now in a position to launch assault against Africa, Far East, Africa (you've probably already been in North Africa) and North America (you can get a Trireme there via Iceland and Greenland).

Now you've conquered most of the world only using ancient weapons tecnology which clearly shows that the chariot is broken.

Play Civ2 instead, almost exactly the same gameplay, but far more balanced.

Generally you should conquer another civilisation early to give you a "boost".

I personally prefer Alpha Centauri. Not because of the futuristic setting, but because of the political possibilities. In the other civs it usually boils down to conquest. There is little motivation to be at peace other than perpetual war can strain the budget. In Alpha Centauri, however it is quite feasible to be peaceful. When I play Alpha Centauri I usually go great lengths to avoid war, not just staying out of conflict myself, but avoiding war in general.

I try to build up a powerbase where i can coerce others into forming peace treaties with each others. If someone refuses to stop warmongering I have an american-style navy ready at all times to keep them in line.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:57 AM   #4
HolyWarrior
User Suspended for 2 weeks by Ziroc [Dec30]

Yep, still have 'em on my computer, in fact. One of the good things about Win '98 is that it will run DOS games like Colonization without a hitch.

And I wish SOMEONE would do an update of the game. The graphics ARE showing their age.
HolyWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:08 AM   #5
Masklinn

I still play Colonization

It's one of the best game ever.

I usually play the French Nation (eh...) and try to stay in peace with indians all the time. It's quite challenging but makes it more interresting. Also Indians are very useful when you're in war with everyone else : you can still trade with them

I too wish they would make a newer version of Colonization.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:32 AM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Civilisation, Colonisation, Masters of Orion - with all of these 4X games, I use the same strategy.

First, learn how to develop cities/colonies properly.

Expand, and any city that isnt being built up either spouts colonists as needed, or devotes its entire production to research. Keep some production saved up, enough for a top level miliatary unit, at each city. That way, if you are attacked, their phalanx get torn up by your tanks.

When the list of techs you havent bothered to get yet is reduced to things you dont want anyway, switch to production. If you thought ahead, you have heavy production cities on all coasts. And a dense rail network. Rail is important, because you can move as far as you want on it. Get attacked to the east? Spam production with everything, and go reinforce.

At this point, you have a large army significantly more advanced than everyone elses.

Alternately, once you have all production techs, switch to space ship production and head for alpha centauri. With this method, all you need to do is survive long enough, so build defences and dont go stirring up trouble.

Colonisation is the exception, because you have no research. Cant remember much about that one, in fact. Been to long.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:13 PM   #7
Judas Maccabeus
The Magister

Ah... Civilization II and Colonization... best two games of all time.

Too bad Civ2 doesn't work on my new computer...

And yes, a Colonization II would be perfect--as long as they just updated the graphics and sound without changing anything else.
<br /><br />\'Far be it from me to do such a thing as flee from them! If our time has come, let us die bravely for our kinsmen and not leave a stain upon our glory!\'<br />--1 Maccabees 9:10
Judas Maccabeus is offline   Reply With Quote