Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Default more DC feature requests

I know I can be rather long winded about DC when I talk about what DC can do and also what I want DC to do. But since I gotta get ready for work, I gotta keep it short (my next posting for feature request is gonna be huge, tho I had time with IW down to think about this)

- I had played with the spell effects and made a spell that could add money to your currency. I could NOT make one that took away from your currency, tho. I had no problems adding/taking away from any other modifyable stats (like hp for example) just currency. Can this be fixed?

- Lets say I'm a compulsive nut, and I decide for fun that I want to put some scripts on EVERY SINGLE ITEM in the mod (and yes i do have reason), but I don't want to ruin the effect of a detect magic spell (IIRC, detect magic checks for scripts as one of the factors for if an item is magical). Can we make a script that means an item does not detect magic if it has that script on the item? Something like "No_Detect()" or something?

Anyhow, thats it for now. I will (when I have more time) bounce these requests over to SourceForge. I just put these here for now to "put the ideas out" for discussion.

ST
Old 03-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

Default Re: more DC feature requests

We've redone so much of how things work, I'm not sure that these apply anymore.

The first issue sounds like a bug, but not something that we will get to before version 1.0

The second request is moot, as we've completely redone how "detect magic" works, as the new items database has at least one script attached to each item.

Big things coming soon to a computer near you...and by "soon" I mean sometime.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikus View Post
The second request is moot, as we've completely redone how "detect magic" works, as the new items database has at least one script attached to each item.
Sounds good. Not sure your reasoning on scripting every item, but I'll leak ONE of my ideas for it: if you give some kind of scripted id for weapons and it attaches the id to your character (or an npc, or monster) when readied then you can have scripted abilities that take advantage of this, like disarm (oriental adventures martial arts style, or like the draconians that took your weapon away till end of combat when you killed one) becuz if you know the id then you know which weapon to take away (and/or return later).

cool then, that scripts don't automatically make a weapon "magical"

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikus View Post
The first issue sounds like a bug, but not something that we will get to before version 1.0
Not a big deal... and I can be patient

ST
ps, I'll be up and running by monday, so I'll DL the most recent release of DC then. Looking forward to it

Last edited by SilentThief; 03-14-2010 at 03:15 AM.
SilentThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

You have no idea the types of scripts I'm talking about...Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

Seriously though, I think I misspoke when I said every item - I meant every weapon. Why? Immunity to weapons, including all of the FRUA stuff, plus protection from missiles (normal), immunity to piercing, blunt or cutting...not to mention, add in "half-damage" anywhere I use immunity.

I think your idea will not require any scripts on items, but rather will be a Special Ability given to PC, NPC or monster. In the new version of DC, we can attach scripts to all databases, which also are now updated dynamically.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
Arcalian
Dungeon Master

I'm partial to the idea of being able to control NPCs that join my party regardless of alignment. I don't just mean having some paladin-equivalent of a different alignment; I don't think that should be a requirement at all. But it's probably a major coding issue, right?
Arcalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
manikus
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcalian View Post
I'm partial to the idea of being able to control NPCs that join my party regardless of alignment. I don't just mean having some paladin-equivalent of a different alignment; I don't think that should be a requirement at all. But it's probably a major coding issue, right?
I honestly don't know, that's Paul's department. But I can say this, no offense to the player's in all of us, but I'm concerned with giving a designer the tools that she needs. If a designer wants to allow control of all NPCs regardless of paladins, then so-be-it.

This is an issue that will be considered after version 1.0, as paladin control of NPCs is straight-up FRUA.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

Here's another one for ya: In combat, I wanted to have in-route animation sprites for non-ranged weapons. I know your prolly like, "what?" but here's what I'm talking about. Lets say you have an npc with a polearm weapon that by rights should be able to attack a farther distance than say someone with a shortsword. It seems to me, yes you can have a weapon that is hand held with a longer reach than 1, but you have no showing of icon or what... the guy with the polearm just turns and thwacks Rolf the fighter, and without knowing whats up Rolf the fighter could effectively drop dead without being "hit" by anything.

ST
Old 03-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
manikus
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man Re: more DC feature requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentThief View Post
Here's another one for ya: In combat, I wanted to have in-route animation sprites for non-ranged weapons. I know your prolly like, "what?" but here's what I'm talking about. Lets say you have an npc with a polearm weapon that by rights should be able to attack a farther distance than say someone with a shortsword. It seems to me, yes you can have a weapon that is hand held with a longer reach than 1, but you have no showing of icon or what... the guy with the polearm just turns and thwacks Rolf the fighter, and without knowing whats up Rolf the fighter could effectively drop dead without being "hit" by anything.

ST
I haven't tried doing this, but others have - it already works. You just need to come up with some graphics.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Uatu
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I've not tried this either, but I've thought about it...

My Blog:
http://advanceddantiansanddragons.blogspot.com
Uatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
manikus
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uatu View Post
I've not tried this either, but I've thought about it...
I bet once you try it, you'll be a good candidate for making some graphics for it.