Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2001, 01:20 AM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

THE GAEL SERRAN EXAMINER
Sazerac, Editor
Guest Reporter/Photojournalist: Elara

(Editor's note: This article is completely written by Elara, unedited by me. Enjoy!)

TWO-TIMING JUNGLE LILY SPURNS SPHINX FOR ALTAR OF SERRAN AT SOUTHWESTERN RETREAT

Whereabouts of Sphinx unknown!
Rumours fly concerning her alleged suicidal state!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Your roving reporter managed to have an in-depth interview with one of the most powerful herbaceous perambulators in the Gael Serran, the Jungle Lily. Suddenly coming upon him in the southwest beaches of The Lost Sea contemplating the Altar of Serran, and seeing that it would be an auspicious moment to get his side of the story distracted as he was by the object of his admiration, I introduced myself. Mr. Lily, who confessed to hating his surname with a passion, fearing all his life that everyone would think he was a sissy, insisted this reporter call him Hugh Mongor if I wanted to continue the interview!

Mongor said emphatically he would be taking his mother to court in Brimloch Rune for foisting his father's name upon him without his express permission, as soon has he could figure out a way to transport his beloved Altar to the port city safely, as he couldn't bear to part from her for even a moment now that he finally had found her. All this while he had been tenderly massaging the acupressure points of the Altar's upper right wing!

The Altar appeared hardpressed not to utter groans of pain but made no effort to block the Lily from his administrations. In fact, she even entreated Mongor over and over to take comfort in her arms!

All throughout the Gael Serran there have been whispers that the Jungle Lily is just the sort to take love lightly, and now, all of society will be aghast to learn that this one's amorous inclinations have been revealed concretely. And worse, that the Altar apparently reciprocates! Questioned as to this new direction in his affections, Hugh replied that his path had been set years before he began sowing his wild oats, for he had spent the entirety of his formative years in the backwaters of Valeia rooted in the shrubbery behind another Altar of Serran who resided in a copse northwest of the old millhouse.

"First impressions, you know ?" Mongor winked. "Such tales she told me! And about her sister Altar rarely seen across the Uncharted Waters. I was totally beguiled. As soon as I could manage transplantation, why I set off, searching the world over to find my lady love. True, there were diversions along the way, but that's par for the course, is it not?!"

When asked where the Sphinx was these days Hugh rolled his pod restlessly back and forth. Shrugging his fronds he tunelessly began to whistle. Barely able to restrain my impatience with such a cavelier attitude, I turned to the Altar to ask for her impressions but was met by a stony shoulder as she leaned into his verdurous embrace. Successfully redirecting my attention by gesturing toward my camera, the Lily suggested I take his picture with his new love.

Egad! How could I forget?! As I snapped the picture, Mongor flashed a contented smile, exacting a promise from me that I would send him a copy so he could frame it to hang over his fireplace.

Sanctus Kerah! If only I had been able to speak to the Altar alone perhaps it could have been determined whether or not she had been compromised against her will, but alas, the opportunity never arose. Hearing an ominous rumble from what appeared to be the Lily's digestive sack, this reporter hurriedly packed her camera and wishing Monger luck with the civil suit against his mother, backed quickly away and down the garden path to The Lost Sea.

Submitted to you, dear reader, by Elara,
Your roving reporter for the Gael Serran Examiner

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Keep reading for updates to the Gael Serran Examiner. Remember: Minds that need examining want to KNOW!

-Sazerac, Editor
(and let's give big kudos to our newest reporting staff member, Elara!)
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 01:31 AM   #2
slug
Manshoon

woohoo, Elara i've heard of the photographer getting into the fire zone, and you have shown your honor and valor. maybe now we can dig into some of the real issues. may this courageous deed go heralded by all. may your readership of minds that need examining go unabated, like our need to know!
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 09:43 AM   #3
Moni

Congratulations Elara!

What bravery to approach such a foe!
What valor to even initiate conversation without throwing flames first!
Great Story!
You ARE a True Hero of The Gael Serran!

: )
Moni
Old 03-17-2001, 09:59 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

ROFL!!!!!!

Why does this make me crave a Dear Hugh Mongor column as a regular feature in the Examiner??? Hugh Mongor - Advice for Lovers

LOL!!!

Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 11:37 AM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Why not? After all, Slip has "Ask Shinwiki" on his site!

Elara, are you interested? I can e-mail you when I'm getting ready to do a GSE, if you want to be a regular "feature writer!"

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 03:04 PM   #6
Elara
The Magister

Aw, Hugh was just an ol' softie at heart.

Sure had fun writing the story off the screenshot...

Actually, we were fighting for our lives!! In a lull in combat I just let him flail his attack frond around a bit, and as soon as he approached his tweak of the Altar I snapped the pic. And yep, we all lived! My Priest Warlock has enchanted some very effective weaponry, and it's easier to go hand=to=frond than exchange poison and fire/etc from a distance. Plus you get to count his teeth!

WYV and Saz,
I'll try and check back with Hugh about this. Last I heard though, he was coming to terms with the reality of Gael Serran law, in that one can know of the law, but one does not always have access to it's protection. Seems during his wild oat days he was less than discriminate with the imprudent release of his more distructive energies, especially around the easy pickings in the proximities of the hamlets these towns used to be in years gone by. But blood memory runs deep and his case was dismissed, so he will have to deal with his mother on other plateaus, other spheres.

In the meantime it's purported that he can be seen brooding about the northern gates of Ishad N'ha. Erzebette is staunchly holding her ground, surviving possibly only because Hugh Mongor is too big to fit down the trail to her house and he's too depressed to expend effort breathing forcibly down the way. Can't see too well either apparently, and the ground is getting a bit squooshy from those salty little waterfalls dripping off his nose. I'm thinking I should check into this as I feel a bit concerned for his welfare, and by extension, for the welfare of all and any travelers to the north of town. They should proceed only with caution for the time being if they value furtherance of their various purposes.

I wonder how the Altar of Serran is doing? Did he actually bring her to Brimloch Roon? Ach, it sounds as though I'd better figure out multiple portal making and soon!

Elara
Elara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 04:09 PM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Teleporting the Altar of Serran - oh that does make one think of the various Photo-Ops!!
Hope Hugh will agree to do the advice column! Would be certain to be good and who is going to argue with him???
Wow - Hugh's Advice for Lovers and Ask Shinwiki and Lily's Recipes - the Examiner could grow into a full feature rag!! All we'd need are some ads - maybe from some of the Guild Masters? (though NOT Sebastio - he'd require 3 full pages or more!) LOL!!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 05:53 PM   #8
AliCat
Drow Warrior

Great job, Elara! Loved it!
AliCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 06:19 PM   #9
Balgin
Elminster

Nice one Elara (actually two amazon mantraps once chased me to Erzebette's doorway and fought me through it. I don't like seeing NPC's die needlessly so I relaoded the game (after the entire 10th lvl party was wiped out LOL)).

Saz, if you want I'll get to work bulking out the Rat Pie story (those of you who don't know will just have to wait and see). If you fail to get the piccie this time let me know. Incidentally I can't download anything at the moment so those screen capture programs will just have to wait for now...

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 07:45 PM   #10
nowhereman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Nice job, Elara!
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote