Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2003, 02:30 PM   #1
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

My aunt asked me for some help and since I know nothing about MP3 players, I thought I'd ask you guys.
She wants to get one for her youngest daughter (18) but was overwhelmed by all the choices at the store. There were ones that you downloaded CDs to, ones that you used computer software from, and so on.
Money is VERY MUCH a consideration here, she doesn't have a lot, so please don't recommend some $400 type. So, can anyone suggest a style or brand of MP3 player that I can recommend to her?

Thanks!!!

Harley
Old 12-08-2003, 03:18 PM   #2
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

The ones that use a disc are the cheaper option, like these.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati....asp?CatId=582
Old 12-08-2003, 03:23 PM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

well how much songs are they planning on having on it? I mean are we talking 128mb (60 songs or so) 0r like a jukebox (20gb+)

If it is the first option then i would suggest have a look at some creatve labs ones. They are small, easy to use, and very stylish. I use an MPMan F40 but am considering upgrading. My mate has a creative labs though and Id say they are the best choice. They are also pretty cheap.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:46 PM   #4
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Try Epinions. You can read readers reviews as well as compare the prices between different models/manufacturers.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:30 PM   #5
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hmm I could give you a lot of advice but dunno if you will bother reading it all so I'll just write briefly.

Obviously as said there're two main types: Hard disk based and solid state memory based MP3 players. HD-based are like 20GB so can store many thousands of songs but are physically bigger and will be of the $400 range that you don't want.

Memory-based will be max 512MB but much smaller and lighter physically and cheaper as well (more like $250 max). I'd go for a 512MB memory-based one as it is big enough for most trips (can store like 100 songs depending on encoding quality).

Other considerations: Do you want it to play just MP3s or windows media as well? Personally I don't use windows media but some say it compresses smaller at the same quality so you can fit more songs on.

You mention recording straight from CD to MP3 player - this is called direct encoding and is a BONUS! ALL MP3 players can get files from your computer usually over USB and ones that can record straight from a hi-fi are rare and this is a nice feature! If you can get it go for it.

Many other considerations: Some allow you to expand the memory with compact flash cards etc. but these tend to be bigger physically - if you get a 512MB you probably won't need this.

I'd also go for one with a voice recording feature and radio tuner in case you get bored of the songs stored on there and can't get to a comp. Voice recording is good for taking verbal notes etc. but some people won't use this.

The bottom line is :the best player I have seen is here:
http://www.mp3players.co.uk/site/uk/tmate_premium.html

the T-Mate premium is a great all-rounder and is prob. the one I'm asking for for Christmas

Oh yeah one more thing: a lot of players boast of having their own built-in rechargable battery. This is an evil thing in disguise. Firstly it means that you can't carry spare batteries with you on a trip which you can do if it just uses plain AA or AAA. Also the built in bat. is usually proprietory so if it dies they can charge you an arm and a leg for a replacement. I always go for stuff that uses standard batteries (cos then you can get cheap rechargables or just use duracell)

[ 12-08-2003, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 12-08-2003, 09:52 PM   #6
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Vasquez, Ross, Paladin2000, and Lanesra Thank you all so much. You gave me lots of great advice that I can pass on to my aunt.

Vaquez, thanks also for the advice about the batteries. I'll pass that information on to her.

As I said, I know nothing about these simply because I've had no interest in getting one. Thanks for helping me help her (sometimes it's difficult being the family computer expert). [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2003, 06:46 AM   #7
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

*vasKez [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2003, 07:33 AM   #8
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
*vasKez [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Yeah, well, when I'm typing with one hand while there's a cat sleeping on the other and I'm tired, then your name becomes Vasquez [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
But, thanks anyway, even if I can't spell
Old 12-09-2003, 01:17 PM   #9
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

As far as MP3 compression goes it's generally 1 megabyte per minute of sound if it's in Sterio and CD-Quality. There is a really small MP3 player that holds 1.7 Gigabytes (Thats 1700 minutes based on the aformentioned measurement) that's really cheap. It came out just last month and I think it's below 400 bucks. That would probably be the best choice. I, myself, got the 30 gig iPod. [img]tongue.gif[/img] CD-based mp3 players are just too large, for a child you'll want something Sleek, portable, and powerfull. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/10/28/igp100/ here's a similar model