Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2000, 10:01 AM   #1
MarArch

I'm one of the "old timers", having first played Wizardry I way back in the mid-80's. (Remember when it was little more than a green wireframe "dungeon" and text?

Since then I've gotten on with my life, but then I drifted back to RPG's, stopping by Ultima and a couple others. I finally landed back on the Wizardry series (Bane of the Cosmic Forge the follow up... I forget the title at the moment... I'm old, remember?)

The thing I most enjoy about this series is the "first person" perspective. I'm not occupying some God-like view of the character way down there below me. When monsters and NPC's approach, they are walking up to ME, looking ME in the eye... and occasionally kicking my teeth down my throat. I like that. (Well, except for the teeth kicking part.)It just seems to add something to the experience for me. Makes it personal, rather than business.

In "Bane..." and it's follow up (and no, I still can't recall the name of it, dagnabit) the graphics were a series of "jumps" from still image to still image. That was acceptable. With W&W, I've now found smooth (mostly) flowing virtual motion through this odd world. I really REALLY like that.

My question therefore is this:

Does anyone know of any other RPG's out there that allow the player to experience the game AS the character, rather than looking down on the character from above? When I'm playing a military game, I prefer to "step back" from the action... I'm a strategist by nature, not a tank jockey... but when I go adventuring, I want my wrinkled, old butt directly on the line.

One other caveat.... I would much prefer it if these other games also functioned using "turn based combat", like W&W uses. After all, I'm old, and at my age, I'm likely to grab my bottle of Geritol and fling that at some rampaging troll rather than the poison bomb I distinctly remember having placed in that hip bag just this morning, consarnit. I can be a real "bad-ass" in a fair fight, so long as the game gives me the chance to shift by walker aside so I can pull my sword out, and only a turn based combat game allows me to do that. Otherwise, I wind up as a greasy spot on the astro-turf.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.... ya young whipper-snappers... (what the heck IS a whipper-snapper, anyway?)
Old 12-05-2000, 10:59 AM   #2
Astyanax12

As I was reading the second part of the above post I had to recheck the header to make sure I hadn't written it and forgotten that I had done so. That happens when you get to my age you know.....

First person perspective? Optional turn-based combat? You betcha! Unfortunately I can only think of three FPP games to recommend which you didn't mention.
1 - The Might and Magic series ( 6, 7, 8 ) which are very like W&W in gameplay terms, but much bigger (graphics not so good though).
2 - Daggerfall, though it doesn't have turn based combat it is still very addictive (excellent gameplay, huge setting, graphics very dated, will Morrowind ever be ready? Sigh!)
3 - Thief (1, 2), extremely involving but not really RPG. No turn based combat but very strategy-oriented so lack of nimble fingers is not a drawback.

No idea what a whipper-snapper is, and why are they always young? Have you ever heard of an old whipper-snapper?
Old 12-05-2000, 01:01 PM   #3
Lily the Ranger

Whipper Snapper: A fish that makes dairy topping.
Old 12-05-2000, 08:11 PM   #4
GoldenHonor

Ultima 9 is a good one. also if you like adventure try kings quest 8.
Old 12-06-2000, 09:56 AM   #5
Sheriff
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree with Astyanax: The Might & Magic series are a good bet. (M&M 3 or M&M4+5 are very good games, although with dated graphics, and M&M6 or M&M7 are great. M&M8 has a poor storyline/plot/etc)

Daggerfall is also a good game, because it's a _real_ RPG. Don't fancy doing the main quests? Well just live your normal life, guarding guilds, doing small errands, robbing shops at night... AFAIK, the game has over 400 cities (_HUGE_ cities) and more than 1000 dungeons.

If graphics aren't really a problem, then I'd also recommend other couple masterpieces: Betrayal in Krondor (great plot, by Raymond Feist; do not mistake it for Return to Krondor, tho) and the Ultima Underworld series.

Regards,
Pedro, the RPG addikt
Sheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2000, 10:23 AM   #6
Vorrin

First thing is DO NOT buy Ultima Ascension (Ultima 9) it is the worst peice of garbage I have played in a long time. RPG or otherwise. As stated above the Might and Magic series is very good if you dont mind investing lots of time. I am an old gamer also (most of us on here are over 30). I spent almost 2 years on Might and Magic 1 back in the day. I actually found some of my graph paper maps from 1989. This was before the days of hint books and web pages. I recently also tried Deus Ex and Half Life. I was very suprised at the RPG quality of both games. A nice suprise for a FPS. Sacrafice was also good in Beta but I havent played the final release yet. Something to look at. Alice should also be a good RPG but its in a different Genre than M & M and Wizardry.

Vorrin
Old 12-06-2000, 07:39 PM   #7
Orion

hmmm, speaking of Sacrifice, I must admit that I haven't played W&W in a couple of days(HERESY!!) and Sacrifice is the reason :-} I just picked up the full version the other day and it is quite entertaining I must say.
I suppose it does have some RPG elements because you do spend quite a bit of time discovering and developing your character's identity. Plus he/she gains xp and gains levels which classifies anything as an RPG right? ; )
As for other games... yeah, if you don't mind the graphics then Daggerfall is about as good as it gets for freedom to develop your character and feel like you are part of a real, moving world. I hope Marrowind captures much of the same feel when it is released next year. BTW, what are most of your feelings about Wizardry 8? Looking forward to it? Don't care? Vaporware?
Old 12-06-2000, 09:57 PM   #8
emilyh
Welcomed New User

Might and Magic is excellent. If you have a Compaq PC, do not buy the original Baldur's Gate, there is a glitch they did not fix with the patches, which makes it impossible to finish the game. For that reason, I avoided all the sequels to it, since they advertised using the same engine. Diablo II is a great game, if you don't mind the top-down perspective. Heroes of MM just came out with some new add-ons, I haven't bought any yet.

If you like vampire stuff, Vampire the Masquerade is also a good game. I got it just to try something different. It's based off the table-top RPG and has a decent storyline. Also, I think Activision is making a Werewolf RPG (also based on the table-top game) but I'm not sure exactly what the release date is. Sometime this winter, I think.

EmilyH
emilyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2000, 10:00 PM   #9
emilyh
Welcomed New User

PS. I'm actually under 30, but not by much. I've been gaming practically since computer games were invented. I remember learning how to use DOS when I was about 10, just to play games.

EmilyH
emilyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2000, 05:03 PM   #10
Gamebrain

I too have never been won over by the top-down 3/4 view RPGs, even though there
have been some great ones like Baldur's Gate, Ultima7 and Ultima Online.

With first person, I really feel like I am there and thats what I love.

My all time faves in this perspective are:

Daggerfall
Ultima Underworld I
Betrayal at Krondor

All of these are a bit dated graphics wise, especially Krondor, but they are classic fun.

I am just waiting for the day someone makes a really good first person RPG with an Unreal or QuakeIII
type engine.

Gamebrain