Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Sorry, minor whine here(yes, I *do* like cheese). The "lather, rinse, repeat" of going to level 5 for battle, and having to retreat all the way to level 3 to rest sure does get old. Why in Hell can't you rest in the Eldathyn temple(level 4) once you've cleared it out?? Does anyone know why they made the game this way?

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 05:23 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

You should be able to get the adventurers on level 4 to watch over you while you rest.

If you made away with them for equipment or experiance you will not be able to rest on that level. It is punishment for killing those who would aid you in your quest.

[ 07-02-2004, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 05:48 PM   #3
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

LOL, so that's it! I didn't mean to have to fight them. I used no area effect spells,, but I guess one of the "lance" type spells nicked one of them... and they turned hostile. That was one tough fight! I had to retreat back to level 3, and do a "raid, retreat and heal" strategy to beat them all. We lost a "reaction point" because of that. As soon as I finished off the adventurers I checked my personal page and our reaction modifier was 0, and it had been +1.

I am assuming that the reaction level is what passes for reputation in IWD. Can anyone point me to a table that shows what reaction levels do to interaction with the games NPC's?

Old 07-02-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

Hmm, I've never noticed that you lose reputation for killing them; AFAIK, since none of the villagers (anywhere) know them or know that you killed them, you don't lose rep. I think the reaction modifier is directly tied to Charisma, not rep. I thought rep was a "hidden" feature.

I don't know where to find a table detailing what reaction levels do. I usually talk to people with my highest-Charisma character, so usually there's no worries about them being unhappy.

I tend not to let the adventurers out until I've cleared the level, so that I don't accidently hit them.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:59 AM   #5
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:

I tend not to let the adventurers out until I've cleared the level, so that I don't accidently hit them.
I didn't have the benefit of previous knowledge. I was having a very difficult time of beating the summons, over and over again. So I decided to search the rest of the temple after I beat a set of the summons,, and stumbled, eventually, onto the room the adventurers were in. We fought a quick battle against a few more summons and then I followed the adventurers to where the High Summoner was(I had not found him yet). I knew enough from the BG series to
1.Target the High Summoner..because he is the one causing the level to be so difficult.
2.Avoid "area effect" spells as they will probably cause your allies to turn hostile.

A mere second or two after the High Summoner was taken out, one of the adventurers was nicked by a "lance" type spell, and they, sure enough, turned hostile. I had to fight them and the remaining monsters, but victory was inevitable now that the Summoner was dead.

Old 07-03-2004, 05:12 AM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

Ah, well, tough luck. Looks like you'll just have to walk up to Level 3 to rest. At least you got the adventurers' stuff, right? They've got some cool equipment.

It's too bad there's no "friendly-fire" mechanism built in; it would be nice if they only turned hostile after, say taking damage from allies up to 25% of their total HP. That would at least give a little margin for error.

My scheme on this level is to memorize Web (or Entangle) with anyone who can cast it. With a couple area effect spells and lots of missiles, just about everything goes down. Next time, right?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:30 PM   #7
maciek
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Heh, in reading ElfBane's account, I guess I was lucky... at the start, when I ran into a pair of summoned trolls, I noticed in the textbox that some High Summoner summoned some monsters, and based on the timing, I guessed he was the source of the trolls. Since this was "very bad news"(TM), I followed the "waves" of trolls and other summoned creatures slowly upstream to the source, with a hidden thief scouting the way of course, and knocked the summoner off. I think I happened on the adventurers at the very end of that level, as the last room I investigated. The spawned monsters were certainly not coming from behind locked doors, so there was no point to wasting time exploring those rooms.
maciek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 12:45 PM   #8
Aerich
Lord Ao

For sure. Taking out the Summoner first is the key. I usually buy spells in the library, walk out and expose Albion, and chop him and the librarian up with fighters while setting spell-traps in the hallway (Web, Entangle, Grease, Spike Growth, Skull Trap). That gives you lots of time to hammer all comers with missiles and spells. Once the first wave has attacked and failed, wait for your spells to expire then burn it over to the High Summoner and burn him out. After that, I generally go down a level to rest, then clear out the rest of the 4th level, letting the adventurers out last, so I have a place to rest.

If you let the adventurers out, they substantially reduce the available experience on the level. I prefer to get it all myself. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2004, 04:31 PM   #9
Roboghost
Manshoon

Arrow

Spoiler for HoF mode:
If in HoF mode, you get 4 mages that come after you once you reveal yourself to the monsters in the eastern half of the Dragon Eye level 4 map.

You'll have to take them out first, and then go after that damn High Summoner.

I tend to clean the area out myself except the final battle with the High Ritualist--I invite the 4 supposed dead prisoners in to help me clean them out. I do this mostly for fun, but also that they will wait OUTSIDE the round room and not INSIDE the round room. This makes it easy to go to them for sleeping when tackling level 5.

Note that I rarely use damaging-area-effect-spells...not only damaging NPCs, but your own gang as well! They are only good if you trap the baddies with webs/entangle etc.

Finally, you can go invisible and let the monsters kill the NPCs so that you don't have to feel guilty about doing it yourself. You'll lose EXP point here, but heaven will probably still await you. Note that they still have to be "blue" doing this trick. The reason I did this was to get the Mage Dagger +2 and Flaming Long Sword +2, but I get these via random items now [level 4 and then level 5 of Dragon Eye.]
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote