Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 06:43 PM   #71
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I think they handled it better in BG2 than in NWN, but that may be because NWN has more of an action game feel to it than BG2, in my opinion.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:14 PM   #72
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Really the 2E PHB only went up to 20? I forget, been awhile and I'm prolly too used to playing MMO's with more levels to recall correctly. I know they had epic rules and corebooks for 2E back in the day. "High Level Campaigns" or something it was called so I guess they merged it for 3E into the corebooks.

I agree about HotU though it was just like uh... Bioware sent us a survey months before asking a number of questions. Most of the questions presented themselves in some way in HotU. They maxxed out the levels and then of course gave you the option to be evil. Oh and they added a class with horns and batlike wings. Truly wasn't D&D IMHO but rather an answer to the kiddies who wanted something cool. I much preferred SoU.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:37 AM   #73
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
Like Luvian said, it's not Dungeon and Dragons. Rules had to be twisted for CRPGs.
ORLY? I remember a game called ToEE that had the best engine I've ever seen on a game. Too bad the rest sucked.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:18 PM   #74
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

Looking through my old books I thought the tables went to level 29 not maxed out at 20. I agree that when you hit lvl 5 - 7 it really felt like an accomplishment!
Just for fun we made up a high level characters and ATTEMPTED to do the U series ( Tomb of horror etc). It wasn't called that for nothing!!! Does any one remember the title of the High level campaign with the robot on it well not a true robot more like a golumn that you could enter) never played that one put it looked like fun.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:26 AM   #75
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Perhaps in IMO, when reaching a certain level is it not enough to just obtain the spells automatically, perhaps after reaching a certain experience AND level would one obtain the new skill needed.

Or what Arcanium (as i recall the game), where you need spell components. That would be cool indeed [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Of course kiddies wouldnt like it

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #76
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

Oooh spell components... There were some fun side quests we did added to the main quests just to get what you needed to cast some of the high level spells!!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #77
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

Well, I'm in the process of downloading the tile set and the NWN 2 official web page say the official release date is now Nov. 3rd. I for one am happy that it is being pushed back again ( hopefully working out all the bugs).
Along the same lines do you have to down load all 9 set of files plus the exe. set ( all of them are pretty big ~ 250 MG each). If that is case it could take a while to down load all of them ( even with broad band).
Old 10-05-2006, 12:51 AM   #78
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Then in third edition, they added those epic rules in the base game. But they work a little differently from regular levels. Out of memory, epic levels don't give you more health, and they're not exactly called levels I think. Your sheet still said level 20 warrior for example, but then there was a second number for epic levels. Something like that.
Epic levels do add health, but they don't add AB. They do add Epic Attack Bonus, which doesn't add to attacks per round. The real treat of Epic levels, however, is the epic feats.

Quote:
20th level characters are supossed to be rare, these are the greatest heroes, Drizzt that in the Forgotten Realm is considered to be one of the greatest heroes was around level 12. So epic level characters are the heroes's heroes. That's the demigods realm and should be out of the reach of all but a tiny fraction of the the greatest heroes ever known to that world.
Drizzt is 16(with ECL 18) in 3rd ed. Elminster or Larloch is the highest level character(non demigod) in the FR, and they're lvl 35(CR 39) and about 32 IIRC. There's always some archmage thrown in the mix with those guys.

What seperates demigods from these adventurers is the divine blessing, which translates into being immortal, having special abilities (not from another source) and generally have some powers concerning your portfolio.

[ 10-05-2006, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: JrKASperov ]
Old 10-05-2006, 01:34 AM   #79
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
Elminster or Larloch is the highest level character(non demigod) in the FR, and they're lvl 35(CR 39) and about 32 IIRC. There's always some archmage thrown in the mix with those guys.
Elminster is so cheezy, he shouldn't be mentioned in any serious discussion about power/levels. It's author really went overboard.

Quote:
What seperates demigods from these adventurers is the divine blessing, which translates into being immortal, having special abilities (not from another source) and generally have some powers concerning your portfolio.
I wasn't talking about a real demigods, as in a weak god with a portfolio and all that, but of mortals with the power of weak gods.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:47 AM   #80
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Eh I like Elminster - especially the way he was portrayed in the Azure Bonds series. Now Drizzt, that's overexposure for ya.