Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2003, 05:19 AM   #1
Vampire

Below are arguments that contain material not suitable for young children. It doesn't contain any swearing or abusive language.

As I do every morning, I goto the BBC News Website's World Asia section to read about an unbiased alternative view about China and her neighbouring countries. I get the Chinese State newspaper everyday at home but that is inevitably full of good news [img]smile.gif[/img]
Anyway, today was fairly empty with little new news. But recently there has been a growing mass resentment against the Japanese. Not only because it's the anniversary of the Japanese invasion of China, but also the uncovering of WWII Mustard gas killed a Chinese worker a short while ago. The Japanese has refused compensation as usual. This led to a huge nation wide petition which over a million people signed and was handed to the Japanese embassy. Upon the BBC questioning the embassy what it thought about the petition: both the chinese and japanese government refused to acknowledge receiving any.
The chinese media was also forced to not broadcast such commen and historical public sentiments.
This morning I scanned through the webpage and one thing caught my eye:
"Chinese Hotel Orgy - causes widespread anger"
Even under a communist state, prostitution is widespread in the last 7 years. Foreigners and rich chinese customers are targeted especially. Though called massage studios, everyone knows what they are about.
What really got me going was this:

"over 400 Japanese male tourists aged 16-37 arrived at one hotel in China. And started an orgy that took 500 girls per night to satisfy. This occured on the anniversary of the Japanese invasion. The same invasion that killed millions of chinese."

I am not quite sure why China trades like a lil monkey with Japan. Ever fearful of trade disagreements, Chinese government never asks for compensations.
Japan has the far more precarious economy, yet China has rarely been agreesive in it's foreign policy.

For a country of her magnitude, it rarely shows any sign of Imperialism. Look at Britain, USA, western europe and japan.

Lists of Chinese imperial traits:
1) 1952: helped North Korea.
2) 1950: took back Tibet after independence for almost 500 years
3) 18th century: defeated Dutch navy at taiwan straits
4) 9th century: China raids Mongolia and Manchuria

In the whole 5000 years of Chinese history, that's all we did. Woooohooo

Lists of foreign incursions on China:
1) 1932: Japan again invades China
2) 20th century: 2 Major Japanese naval victories leads to invasion
3) 1897: Britain takes Hong Kong as payment
4) 1897: Portugal takes Macow as payment
5) 19th century: Chinese capital sacked by the 8 Allies (Britain, USA, Japan..)
6) 18th century: Russian incursions
7) 16th century: Manchurians invade China
8) 11th century: Genghis Khan invades China
9) 10th century: Manchurians invade China

Feel a bit better now....

*deeeep breath*

Old 09-29-2003, 07:40 AM   #2
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Now, see, you could have just posted 'Japan sucks, China Rules!' and it would've had about the same factual validity as all of the 'evidence' you posted.

keep up the deep breathing man...
Old 09-29-2003, 11:22 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:

What really got me going was this:

"over 400 Japanese male tourists aged 16-37 arrived at one hotel in China. And started an orgy that took 500 girls per night to satisfy. This occured on the anniversary of the Japanese invasion. The same invasion that killed millions of chinese."
Congrats! You win the "got my button pushed" contest.

The "reporter" has combined two separate things and hopes that you'll think they are linked. The arrest (apparently) of 400 people engaged in prostitutional sex (is there such a word?) is one thing; the fact that "this day in history" was when the Japanese invaded is another. To assume that the two are related involves a bit of jumping to conclusions.

The "author" wants you to think that the alleged perpetrators launched this orgy in order to rub the invasion into your faces. I suspect that this person has a long and luxurious career ahead of themself, writing for such stellar publications as the National Enquirer, Star, and Midnight Sun.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The only things I know about Japan are that if you hear of a person being the world's oldest, they probably live in Japan. The world's oldest man just died and the world's oldest women are still kicking, strangely, from the same island.

Japan also has the world's best health care, according to the medical school people I know.

They sound like they are doing something right.

Are there any Japanese members of IW? If so, then this thread might be too heated to keep in GenCon, and will have to either be locked or moved to Current Events.

Just keep that in mind.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:37 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I agree with Larry on the last part- let's not have this become a country bashing thread. No country is one-sided and people vary within any area, be it county, province or country, so let's not lump everyone together and point fingers.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:57 PM   #6
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Lists of Chinese imperial traits:
1) 1952: helped North Korea.
2) 1950: took back Tibet after independence for almost 500 years
3) 18th century: defeated Dutch navy at taiwan straits
4) 9th century: China raids Mongolia and Manchuria
Well, your missing a few, off the top of my head:
1683: Kingdom of Taywan destroyed, Western Taiwan annexed to China
1767: Chinese invasion of Burma
1979: People?s Republic of China invades Vietnam

There may be more, but Asian history isn't a strong point of mine.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:17 PM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Those Japanese know how to have a party...

[ 09-29-2003, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 09-29-2003, 05:02 PM   #8
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Avatar, apart from making you feel better, what exactly was the point of this post? As far as I can see, all it served to do was reinforce grossly misleading national stereotypes.

I am disappointed - you seemed like a reasonably intelligent guy.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 09-29-2003, 08:39 PM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

both countries have their good and the bad when it comes to history. i mean japan invaded the philippines during WII. took women as sexslaves. did happen to other countries as well. the japan people are very proud. i guess they dont want to recognize thier own mistakes.. if doing a mass orgy .. i doubt it they are even acknowledging it. i heard before that they even erased it in the history books on how japan was defeated and such.

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-29-2003, 10:01 PM   #10
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

Question Mark

i personally feel that their treatment of the tibetins is proof that they are not completely without guilt. you mention four things but they have done massive things to one single ppl. i honestly cannot say i could ever support the chinese gov't and it's actions for almost anything they have ever done. the ppl may be nice, but the gov't is one i am glad to not live in.