Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 05:54 AM   #1
Target
Red Dragon

I’ve been chatting with a few mates about England’s best midfield, as you can guess there is no ‘right’ answer. I wondered what IW’s thoughts on the matter was?

We know Sven won’t change the 4-4-2, so 4-5-1 or 3-5-2 ideas are moot.
Can Lampard and Gerrard play in the same team? Beckham it seems has the position for life, even when not playing near 100%.
Should there be and who should be the holding/defence midfielder? Wing backs or winger. the list could go on...

Ideas please?

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #2
mad=dog

Well as my location indicate I am from Denmark. We've just finished playing an interesting test match with each other. I think it is safe to say that England played a good first half where you dominated the play and had good possesion - and a completely abysmal second half where you got annihilated.
In such a case it is tempting to base everything on the partial success, but that will not bring improvements about. I would love to indulge myself in euphoria over the second half, but I tend to think we need to look at the first to see where we have our weakness'. The same (with reversed halfs) should be true for England.
The midfield does seem to be the rotten apple. IMHO Sven has made the passing play too continential. This in turn seems to me to leave a gap in the midfields ability to aid the defense (and occationally also in bringing the ball forward). An opponent with fast pace and passing can walk through far easier than they ought to.
I think you need a strong defensive midfielder much like our own Gravesen and Helveg.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to watch Premier League for some time now so I cannot tell where your talent is on this field. I recommend someone of age, but with a long term potential on the spot.
I really hope you are able to play up to your best. It's usually spectacular football when you do. Even if you happen to be at the recieving end (WC 2002 - ouch).
Old 08-19-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Play Shaun Wright-Phillips!!!!
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
Firim Silraven
Dungeon Master

In Lampard and Gerrard we have possibly the two best central midfielders in Europe, and although they are very similar players I think they could work out a way to play together. I'd have Lampard pushing forward with Gerrard in the holding role, but not drifting too far back towards the defence. Beckham is the most over-rated player in the world (along with Rooney) and Wright-Phillips should be given his chance on the right for a real match, rather than 45mins in a friendly. Of course there's always that troublesome left where we have no one brilliant. I'd say Joe Cole should be there - he's not a natural left mid, but he's good enough to fill it. And with Ashley Cole behind him, he has one of the best left backs in Europe to help him out.

Though I don't think the weak link is in the midfield - it's with Sven, who panders to the medias every whim and is completely hopeless as an international manager. We have no chance of winning the World Cup at the moment, so the FA should bring in someone new - I'd say Sam Allardyce or bring Terry Venables back.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

England need to find a left midfielder. That problem has been plaguing England for a long while now ( If only giggs was an english... ) Joe Cole isn't good enough. The match with denmark shows how terrible he is. But there's nothing can be done with right midfielder. Beckham has cemented that place.

England could start with 4 midfielder and a attacking midfielder just behind the striker. Sort of a 4-5-1. Rooney is getting better and better playing behind the striker as shown in his matches at ManU.

Also, England need to find a better goalkeeper than clamity james. That match he is just horrible.

Another problem is with Sven. After a 2 disappointing championship ( World cup and Euro ) I am suprise that the FA still stick with Sven. Maybe Robbie Fowler is correct. England would never win the world cup as long as Sven is the manager.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:48 AM   #6
Target
Red Dragon

It's a shame there is no English player in the mould of a Viera, or Roy Keane who can sit in front of the back 4 and break up attacks.
Butt did well at the last few times he was in an England shirt, but he seems to have disappeared since leaving Man Utd. Who else can do that, Phil Neville? Michael Carrick?

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Old 08-19-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
Szass-Tam
Zhentarim Guard

To be honest, I think the England midfield is pretty solid, and I believe Joe Cole will begin to come into his own on the left (as he's demonstrated he can with Chelsea).
As for Sven, I don't understand what everyone's problem with him is, I mean look at what the squad was like before he arrived.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:01 AM   #8
Target
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
England need to find a left midfielder. That problem has been plaguing England for a long while now ( If only giggs was an english... ) Joe Cole isn't good enough. The match with denmark shows how terrible he is. But there's nothing can be done with right midfielder. Beckham has cemented that place.
My thought for the left was to play both Bridge (when he's fit) and Cole, then they can swap round and confuse the other team they both can defend and go forward. Or they could give Stewart Downing a few games to prove what he can do.
I wonder what England might have achieved if Giggs had carried on playing for England!!

Old 08-19-2005, 11:05 AM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
It doesn't matter which players you put in midfield, Holland will thrash you regardless. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #10
Szass-Tam
Zhentarim Guard

Letter

I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer.

[ 08-19-2005, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Szass-Tam ]