Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2003, 07:56 AM   #1
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Ok had this Sony (Il give you the exact model if needed) for 2 years. The first year it worked great, played all the DVDs I put in. This year however its being a total bitch!
This is the scenario:
*Put in a DVD
*Watch for 3 minutes
then..............
The screen just goes black!You can still hear the music/speaking (full audio) but just no picture. Now I havent really bothered to do anything about this for the year because I have 2 other DVD Players (one on PC and one on PS2) As its Christmas however and I have all these new DVDs (Woohoo ) I thought I better get the thing fixed. So does anyone have any suggestions?
Yesterday I decided to test it out again and it played for 3 minutes then went black for approx. 3 seconds and then started playing again. (Very surprising!) It didnt last long though, after 9 minutes it did it again, this time staying like that.

what should I do?
Old 12-27-2003, 08:20 AM   #2
skywalker
Banned User

If you happen to have another set of cables that match what you have, try it first. Otherwise, I would just junk it and get a new one. DVD players are getting cheaper all the time and you can just about get a new for the cost of getting someone to look at it.
Last year my CD player crapped out and I had 3 choices:
1) Get it fixed
2) Buy a new CD Player
3) Buy a DVD player

I picked #3, of course. I bought a Toshiba 5 disk for $99.00 at Amazon and it has worked great so far. I figure if it craps out, I'll just get a new one.
This is the age of disposable electronics!

Mark
Old 12-27-2003, 08:27 AM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

this one is quite a good one though so I would quite like to get it fixed! Also even though its 2 years old, it hasnt played an awful lot of DVDs.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:48 AM   #4
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Bump!!
Old 12-27-2003, 05:28 PM   #5
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Bump again, come on guys!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2003, 06:40 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I know nothing of DVD repair. I can only fix VCRs. If I find something in the future of any use to you...I will let you know. Sorry.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:47 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Take it to get fixed dude. Unless it is right in front of them most people won't be able to tell you what is wrong.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:13 AM   #8
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

OK guys thanks for your help. Anyone have any suggestions other than those? I think I might get it seen to, theres no real point in buying another one.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:49 PM   #9
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Just thoughtId tell you all I got it fixed, took literally three minutes. I opened the back of the TV desk thing (dont know what there called!) and took the scart out gave it a clean and put it back in properly and now it works fine.

The only strange thing was that it always stopped the DVDs at 3minutes, STRANGE!!!

Thanks for all your help even if some of you tried to con me into getting a new one!
Old 01-01-2004, 06:50 PM   #10
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
Just thoughtId tell you all I got it fixed, took literally three minutes. I opened the back of the TV desk thing (dont know what there called!) and took the scart out gave it a clean and put it back in properly and now it works fine.

The only strange thing was that it always stopped the DVDs at 3minutes, STRANGE!!!

Thanks for all your help even if some of you tried to con me into getting a new one!
Ouch, I think I just got smacked!

Mark