Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2002, 04:21 PM   #21
Azred
Drow Priestess

When I taught at university, I had a fairly lenient attendance policy (I required attendance only on test days, as long as the students received/turned in daily assignments). Those students are adults--or at least should be. I would say that I can't believe that none of them showed up but I do beleive it. To offer such sorry excuses as "I couldn't get up on time" sounds like something my 6-year-old would say. What an insult!
To answer your initial question, I would either a) issue a retroactive pop-test (which they would all fail, of course, since they weren't there) or b) make the next test really difficult.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:43 PM   #22
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I still think he should kill them. Jabidas needs more undead anyway
Old 04-22-2002, 05:09 PM   #23
Encard
Quintesson

Well, you could make them do the unpleasnat tasks next time (dipping hand in acid to show it's dangerous, etc). [img]smile.gif[/img] Then again, you could lecture the empty chairs and give a test the next day worth 50% of their grade. *grin* *cackle* [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2002, 05:13 PM   #24
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

set yerself up a gibbet cage on mondays ad select a (random student) to be held in captivity within to set an example, if this fails have yo got any thumbscrews?
Old 04-22-2002, 05:30 PM   #25
Epona
Zartan

Saz, when I saw the thread title I was expecting you to say you'd done something really obnoxious LOL, I didn't realise you meant it literally!

I went to college during the evenings for 4 years during which time I held down a full-time job and *still* managed to find time to sleep, eat, play PC games and during the final year post on IW. And I got a 2.1 class degree (which is a high mark, for those of you who don't know the UK system). It's not because I'm an exceptional person, it's because I wanted that degree and I damn well worked hard for it.

If I can attend classes under those circumstances (although I did *have* to miss some because of RL pressures - but that's a given in part-time adult education), then your lazy pudf***ers should learn that they have to get off their asses to achieve anything in life - part of your job (as I'm sure you agree) is to teach them that, to prepare them for life in the real world where no-one's gonna give them tea & biscuits (cookies, LOL) as an enticement. I'm with Cloudy - if they skip classes and it's not for reasons of a genuine emergency, dock their grades at the next test or assignment. Make sure they know that before you start doing it though, and that gives them a chance to redeem their ways.

[ 04-22-2002, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 04-22-2002, 05:41 PM   #26
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Redblueflare:
Hmmm... Senior Skip Day every monday? Sounds like a plan to me. [img]smile.gif[/img] Give them some sort of quiz on Tuesday. No matter how minor the grade it'll start to add up after awhile. Eventually those bums will learn that you mean business and start showing up. It amazes me how there are parents that let their kids stay home from school. Even if i'm sick my mom just tosses me a tylenol or something!!
Sounds like a plan to me!

Man they must have worked out a bad idea together in their heads... well you should remind them that they won't be graduating lest they pass your class [img]smile.gif[/img] We get up at 6 normally around here to go to school at 7 and back in germany we had to get up at 3 to attend school at 5 in the morning before Traffic on the ÄütöBähn got SO BAD that it was forced to a standstill...

[ 04-22-2002, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: /)eathKiller ]
Old 04-22-2002, 06:51 PM   #27
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Send a form letter witht the amount of skipped classes to the parents of those that have them. Nothing pisses off Ma and Da like having their money wasted by a disrespectful pup! For those that paid for the classes themselves, don't worry about 'em. Let them keep forking out the cash to retake the class. It's job security.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:27 PM   #28
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Charge them money for each class that they don't turn up to (whether they have a legit excuse or not) :uhhuhsmilie:
Old 04-22-2002, 07:38 PM   #29
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Well I agree with Mel that it's very disrespectful of the whole class not to show up, especially if it happens often. When you're in a class of twenty or more then it's not so bad I think if a few people don't come occasionally, but if you know there's only four people in the class the least you can do is come [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] .

At uni the buzz is always you don't have to be here, just know that it's much harder to pass if you don't come, and the lecturers/tutors won't help you catch up if you just don't show up. But that's with classes of a hundred or more. I remember my philosophy tutorial in first year, it was at 9am - apparently that's early for some people , and there'd usually be me and at most two other students there (out of fifteen). I could tell the tutor found it annoying, and I did too because philosophy tutorials especially are about discussion and different points of view.

Maybe you could have a system where 10% or so of their grade is participation - coming to lectures and being active in them. Some of my classes do that and it seems to work, at least there are more students there when there's grades riding on it than when it's purely optional.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:45 PM   #30
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Id say keep on teaching them as if they WERE there that day. Give them the next thing you have to teach them. It is their responsibility to ask you what was done when they were away, not yours to reteach the same thing because they "couldnt get out of bed on time". If they dont understand it, and dont know what was taught when they were away, it their fault. You are doing your job, its up to them to do theirs.