Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2002, 09:55 AM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Literally...no one has shown up for my 8:30 class this morning (it's now five minutes to nine my time). It is ridiculous, and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to these students. One of them gives me the ridiculous reason that "he can't get out of bed in time." HONK! Sorry, wrong answer...if *I* can be here at 8:15 in the morning, so can you, bucko. You think I like getting up early any more than you? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

So what should I do with these deadbeats?

A) Ignore them and let them fail out (in which case I'll probably be stuck teaching them A+ Computer Repair yet AGAIN...auugh)
B) Sanction them with the administration (hasn't worked yet, no matter how many reports I've filled out)
C) Something more creative...I'm up for ideas!

Anyone have any ideas as to what I should do, let me know. I must admit I'm stumped; in 16 years of teaching this is the first time I've come across a group of deadbeats like this! [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

Hope everyone else's Monday is going better than mine.

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 04-22-2002, 10:06 AM   #2
Davros
Takhisis Follower

You haven't forgotten that it's a long weekend public holiday have you Sazzie ?
Old 04-22-2002, 10:15 AM   #3
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Literally...no one has shown up for my 8:30 class this morning (it's now five minutes to nine my time). It is ridiculous, and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to these students. One of them gives me the ridiculous reason that "he can't get out of bed in time." HONK! Sorry, wrong answer...if *I* can be here at 8:15 in the morning, so can you, bucko. You think I like getting up early any more than you? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

So what should I do with these deadbeats?

A) Ignore them and let them fail out (in which case I'll probably be stuck teaching them A+ Computer Repair yet AGAIN...auugh)
B) Sanction them with the administration (hasn't worked yet, no matter how many reports I've filled out)
C) Something more creative...I'm up for ideas!

Anyone have any ideas as to what I should do, let me know. I must admit I'm stumped; in 16 years of teaching this is the first time I've come across a group of deadbeats like this! [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

Hope everyone else's Monday is going better than mine.

Cheers,
Well I´m still a very sleepywolf at monday mornings and will probably be for ever..

To get peoples attention you can start by having an important lesson each Monday which will then make it vital to be there for their grades. Other than that I don´t know Saz.. Send them dead oppossums in the mail?? Got no clue, few things worked for my class when I was that age, if we fell out of habit to get in time, only miracles could set that straight. The thing that worked was that the teacher brought coffee and tea to the classroom, that increased the timly arrivals actually.. Bribing students eh..*sigh*

I hope your Monday will turn out for better Saz!

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 04-22-2002, 10:25 AM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
You haven't forgotten that it's a long weekend public holiday have you Sazzie ?
In which country, Davros?

(no public holiday this past weekend AFAIK!)

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 04-22-2002, 10:29 AM   #5
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

give bonus points or a bonus quiz every monday... or give bonus points when the class is in full attendance every monday it works like a charm.. that is if your students want their grades

well if it is the WHOLE class, well.. you can smell something fishy, as our staff handle it here.. apply school regualations (excuse letters and such) oh but then that is college...

give them a very difficult quiz tomorrow.. that'll soften them up
Old 04-22-2002, 10:43 AM   #6
Vampire

I hate to say this Saz but you are teaching either the wrong subject or at the wrong place if people are not turning up like they should.

Therefore find a way to convince them that the course matters.

Some lectures at Cam Uni use a huge choc supply and throw them at good students
Old 04-22-2002, 10:49 AM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
I hate to say this Saz but you are teaching either the wrong subject or at the wrong place if people are not turning up like they should.
*raises eyebrow* That's nonsense. They probably don't turn up because they're lazy. Sheesh - it'll be a cold day in hell before students turn up for every relevant class like they should.

Saz - it's a damn shame you had to come in so early for the class and find that no one's there. It's very direspectful towards you - you had to prepare the class, get out of bed in time etc. and they haven't even got the decency to show up? If there's any way you can set them straight you should - let it reflect on their grades if necessary.
If you prefer a nicer approach I really like Wolfie's coffee/tea idea. It *is* hard to be alert on a Monday morning, so that would be a good way of showing that you appreciate the effort of showing up, and it would be a nice gesture as well.

I'm not saying I never skipped a few classes in University, but a whole class not showing up? [img]graemlins/1disgust.gif[/img]
You do your best for them, so they should do their best for you, that's my opinion.

[ 04-22-2002, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 04-22-2002, 10:53 AM   #8
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Hmm not really... they should still be there.. it is a matter of being at least tactful and respect for the person to at least be present... even if it pains you [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2002, 10:58 AM   #9
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
quote:
Hmm not really... they should still be there.. it is a matter of being at least tactful and respect for the person to at least be present... even if it pains you [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]This is not directed at u Saz *hugs* [img]smile.gif[/img] , but sometimes the reason why I don't turn up for lectures and so few do is because we few insulted by the lecturer. It just stresses u out hearing the lecture and the way he patronises u. So not an easy job. I don't really care that much about respect when there are 350 of us and we pay for our education. So I use the time that best fits me. If the majority doesn't turn up, there is something wrong... u should ask the students either directly or indirectly.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:12 AM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Signing up to take the class puts responsibility for showing up to HEAR the lectures squarely on the shoulders of the students.

Quote:
This is not directed at u Saz *hugs* , but sometimes the reason why I don't turn up for lectures and so few do is because we few insulted by the lecturer. It just stresses u out hearing the lecture and the way he patronises u. So not an easy job. I don't really care that much about respect when there are 350 of us and we pay for our education. So I use the time that best fits me. If the majority doesn't turn up, there is something wrong... u should ask the students either directly or indirectly.
No offense Avatar, but that is just plain outrageous... I mean teaching is not an exact science and most instructors do a hell of a lot to prepare for a class and the fact you 'pay' for them is even more reason to show up! I never agreed with that selfish "I'm paying so make the instructor go through hoops to please me" attitude even when *I* was in my university classes! Education is a privilege in my book, and yes I paid my whole way on scholarships and WORK through TWO degrees and it wasn't easy but I never assumed I had the right to tell a prof HOW to do HIS/HER job just because I paid the school for taking the classes! It is certainly nice to have a little input and get a class that is good for teacher and student but what makes a student qualified to dictate means of instruction? bah.. sorry, this was always one I fought tooth and nail over when other students gave me the same sob story about not showing up! When I had to teach for a while in grad school, I had a lot of sympathy for faculty! And no, I'm not a morning person! LOL

Sazzie, I hated getting up for my 8am German class but I did it and as often as I arrived 5 min late,I still got as much as I could out of the class and ended up enjoying it immensely. Try the tea and if that fails, fail them. [img]smile.gif[/img] Only way to make 'em wake up and take responsibility for their OWN actions. You aren't to blame for them being lazy or irresponsible!

You know Avatar, sometimes it's all in our attitudes. Try going to those classes and thinking POSITIVE thoughts. Assume you'll learn something useful and it will be a good class. SMILE, it'll help get you in the mood! I know if I'm in a lousy mood, work feels more of a drag than if I'm in a good mood. Same events, just my attitude is different. Try it for a while, you might actually LIKE your classes!

Saz, GOOD LUCK! I don't think you should worry too much, you did your job and that's what counts. *HUG*

[ 04-22-2002, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]