Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2001, 12:48 AM   #1
Morjrith

Hi All

I have a couple of questions if anyone would answer them for me.

1-Hit Points. I dont understand the random rolls. I have a warrior with 17 fort. I also have a barb with 17 fort. Every time they or anyone else (excluding my wizard who gets good rolls) goes up a lv. It always wnats to give me 1 HP. Now I know you can save and reload. This i did with my pure breed warrior. It took me over half a hour to get something other then a 1 HP to come up. Any idea what would cuase this? I mean its every lv for every class it wants to give just a 1HP.

2-Skills and class change. If I go from a cleric to a monk. My vine skill will never get better spells?

3-This one is strange and in a way relates to question 2. I sort of messed up at the second town. The Man eating plants or what ever they are called are very close to the town gates. I attack and killed constant by them. So i was going to reset the game. Well when I did that I noticed that my multi class characters where now singel classed. They are now the class they where last training in. Why? Also will this hinder there skill training in older roles? Such as my cleric again. who would be a monk. When iI reset he will only show up as a monk. I belive he will have his vine skill still thoe. Can it go up? If not should I make a full blood cleric that never changes roles?

I think thats all I can think of right now at work
If anyone could give help,idea or even just a random guess please do

Thanks all
Morjrith
Old 01-18-2001, 01:04 PM   #2
teefha

hi Morjrith!

1 How many hp u have? At myx game it happend, when i reached a (for this class) high level of hp. If u need more, the use the toughen-cheat (cast toughen many times, enter town, leave town, repeat...) but only if u dont have installt the patch.

2 u can still train the magic skills, but u can learn only spells with lower level then skill/2. and lower then your level...

3 u can never return to a class. If u restart the game, the u will lose all older classes and all guild levels. The basic clases you can neaver reenter. but, i think, all other clases are still open. I change role after lev 10-12, because its time to learn more...

And my tip for the mantraps: learn firestorm!!! Its my favorit offensive spell. Two or tree will be enough...

good luck teefha
Old 01-18-2001, 02:04 PM   #3
Morjrith

Thanks for the info. In reply to what you have said.

1-After many many hours or reloading I have decent hitpoints (about 5 a lv for a warrior with 17 fort). The thing is It shouldnt be this way. Like a barb is suppose to get the best hp. Then why do i keep getting a one every time I lv unless I reload just him for a half a hour +

2-So spells can still go up I just have to half double the lv. Such as 4th lv spells being able to get with skill 4 on a cleric would be skill 8 on a monk (Vine spells).

3-So Im guessing I dont want to mess with class change for a while on a cleric untill i get there vine skill up alot.

Thanks again

Morjrith
Old 01-18-2001, 02:25 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

There are many long discussions in threads about the amount of hit points you get when you level up. I realise that early in the game everyone wants to see their characters getting as many as possible, but (providing I have understood the other threads correctly) you are only making it hard for you to get a good hit point level up next time if you reload and roll again. I personally never bothered to reroll and my characters are all fine.
If you really are concerned about their hit points and you are not running the patched version of the game, there is a simple cheat which you can use to up your hit points. Save your game just outside of the town gates and cast toughen on them (a potion would probably work too), enter the town. The 10 hit points toughen gives you will be yours to keep (only if you are NOT running the patch).
Wyv

(and yes - the whole leveling up process was poorly conceived)
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 06:22 PM   #5
Morjrith

Thanks for the info again. Ill pass on the hp cheat for now but thanks for the info. It just sort of boggeles me that it wants to low role all the time.

I keep hearing about this patch alot too and i still cant find what it realy fixes. I ampresently not rnning it.Also what lv should a cleric give up being a cleric to go to a monk status? When i get vine skill maxed spell lv?

Thanks all
Morjrith
Old 01-18-2001, 06:28 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Rule of thumb for changing spell casters to another class is when they have reached level 14. Personally I go by when they have learned what I consider to be the best/most useful spells in their current role - then I'll change them. I was never out to have any of my characters learn every last spell! Some really aren't that useful (there are threads about that).

Have fun developing your characters!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 01:09 AM   #7
RedJoe

HP's work like this. (the numbers are made up i'm not really sure what they are)

example 4th warrior going to 5 warrior.

say you have 40hp at 4th and you gain a level. You're now 5th level and as fighters get 1-12 hp per level (this is a made up number) they roll for your new hp.

it is not additive. for 5th level they roll 5 times of 1-12 hp.

if your new roll, (lets say they rolled kinda low and you only got a total of 3 is lower than your current hp, you get 1 hp. If the roll is higher, you get the new higher hp total.

This is actually a very good way to ensure you dont get a "loser" character as you have a brand new roll every level to get hp's. It also makes it very, very hard to "min/max" on hps.

Dont waste your time reloading, just play and your hps will be as they should.
Old 01-19-2001, 02:50 AM   #8
Stine
Welcomed New User

Actually one of my Warriors made a pretty good example of this hp gain process (which I didn't understand at that time either).

She had gained between 1 and 8 hp on the first few levels (mostly lower than 5) and was ok but not all that tough when out of the blue she suddenly gained 35 hp one level up.

On the same level up, one of my wizards got 15 hp (which was almost half of what he had before ).

After those two advances, things have gone back to normal (that is, less than 10 hp per level).

Anyway, I haven't yet have the patience to reroll advances (I'm reserving that for the second time I play, when I know how skills, classes etc. work) and still my group gets along pretty well (on normal difficulty but with respawn set to often), so I don't see much use in spending time on rerolling advances.

I do have another question about advancing though (slightly off-topic): Does anyone of you know the exact number of intelligence points I need to assign for my characters to gain 3, 4 or 5 skill points per level up?

Stine
Stine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 08:05 AM   #9
carg
The Magister

Rule of thumb for skill points is 1 per 4 intelligence. Only at the first few levels this doesn't seem to work, and you mostly get only 1.
Restoring after level up is not needed for hp, but for getting more than one attribute point it's useful: you mostly get only 1, but sometimes 2 or even 3. I think that this is truly random, so retrying helps.
If you use those extra attribute points on fortitude, you might even get more hp next time.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote