Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Netflix and their recent price hike

For you Netflix users (US and Canada), what have you decided to do now that Netflix is going to start charging for the previous free streaming content and raising the price of the physical rentals?
I plan to keep the streaming at...what will it be, $7.99/mo? I have ALOT of shows that I like, mostly Japanese anime for me but some Disney shows my daughters like to keep up with. Occasionally I like to see an older film again and a lot of Sci-Fi channel stuff makes it on there that I don't get on TV. I will be cancelling my physical rentals in favor of Redbox.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Netflix and their recent price hike

Redbox ftw. I kinda plan to do the same. I think most Netflix people will also.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

I have little doubt that Netflix wouldn't want it any other way. I think their profit margin is higher on the streaming content than the physical discs. Just guessing on that though.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Hindsight
The Magister

I signed up a few weeks ago. My free month will be up in a few days. All I know is that it's $8/month. Is that changing?

It's not bad, but they need more movies. Even some older ones are not on there.
Hindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
I signed up a few weeks ago. My free month will be up in a few days. All I know is that it's $8/month. Is that changing?

It's not bad, but they need more movies. Even some older ones are not on there.
For us that have been members for a few years now, online streaming has always been free and the price of rentals was lower than anywhere else. Now, as you said the streaming is $8/month and is a separate plan from the rentals. Newcomers to Netflix will start immediately like you said, but the veterans get our old rate until September 1st, then we join you on your rates.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

The streaming isn't all that either IMO. But it is better than anything out there atm so Redbox for rentals and just pay for the streaming is my plan. But now that they charge for it they could stand to make alot more stuff available. When the streaming service first started there was hardly anything worth watching on it. Some old movies and the odd mediocre series - that was about it.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Because I live at the epicenter of the worst postal delivery system in the country, I only view their streaming content -- of which the picture quality is meh, and the selections are very limited.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Netflix and their recent price hike

Even though we just upgraded to the "super duper fast" speed TWC offers and I upgraded the home network to 802.11n, I care not at all for streaming movies. If I want a movie, I'll go buy a used copy of it and then it is mine whenever I want it.

I have to admit, though, it has made watching music videos or Senor Gif a lot faster. But I still won't go for streaming whole movies.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #9
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I still haven't decided which direction I'm going to go. I just signed up for Netflix at the beginning of June and it has turned out to be a great investment, so far. My 9 yr old quickly learned how to navigate the menu and search for specific movies or shows. We've watched a number of streaming movies, but even more TV series (such as Monster Quest) since I signed up, so the boys REALLY like it.

I also like the unlimited DVD's because the youngest one (again) is interested in some very OLD movies.....like the old Godzilla movies from MY childhood. These are movies I just can't find anywhere else. I took a quick look at Redbox, but didn't see any listings for movies from the early 70's/late 60's. Maybe I just didn't look carefully enough.

My one complaint is the LACK of subtitles/captioning on the streaming movies. Mom's hearing is very impaired and she can't hear the dialogue, so we always watch TV with the caption on. When there is no caption, she can't really enjoy or even follow the movie very well.

So, for now, I'll keep my current Netflix account while looking at other options for DVD rentals.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Ever tried one of the many sound amplifiers you see on the infomercials?