Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2002, 01:07 PM   #41
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

Yorick, that's interesting that your experience is that most places do fence or delineate the properties in some way. Maybe people were so overwhelmed by all the wide open spaces here at first that they just didn't bother? Dunno.
But Oz has wide open spaces too. Possibly more so, as the entire population of Australia is the same as that of New York/New Jersey Cities, though it covers an area of similar size to the USA.

Perhaps it's the predominance of a 'user pay' mentality in the USA. (Low taxes, limited welfare etc) Both parties normally agree to pay half the cost of a fence in Oz for example.

Do fences in the USA get paid for only by the one who erects it, or by both landowners?

Who the heck knows?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 08-02-2002, 01:09 PM   #42
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

You know, maybe some of it is due to the fact that whole villages from Ireland would come over together. I found an abandoned village in Ireland (for sale) that named the village they all went to in America.

Perhaps the 'no fence' vibe enhanced collectivity? A sense of union with each other?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 08-02-2002, 01:12 PM   #43
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Only the fence knows Yorrrick, only the fence knows.
Old 08-02-2002, 03:21 PM   #44
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yorick, I wondered that too..the no fences maybe adding to the 'communal' feel of a village or town... I know that in rural (farm) areas of course they had/have fences for livestock but it's a curious thing about the villages.

Usually the person erecting the fence pays for it. If your neighbor has one up you can ask to attach to it and save yourself one side.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:53 PM   #45
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I`ve never seen a house without a fence/wall/hedge [img]tongue.gif[/img]
That`s the general way of distinguising a house from a corner store in Orange... fence=house, footpath=shop
Old 08-02-2002, 07:58 PM   #46
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

In my area, mostly if a yard is fenced in at all (and this is in the city) it is in the back yard only. Dunno why, but there you have it.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 08-02-2002, 08:07 PM   #47
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Lady Z, I think tat it is considered odd in the US to fence your front yard. I remember when some people up the street put in a beautiful wroght-iron fence, only on one side of their front yard, everybody assumed that they were feuding with their neighbors.