Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2002, 06:34 PM   #1
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

I've noticed a disturbing trend lately, and that has been the lack of policemen. Yes, I see them driving around giving people speeding tickets and parking tickets, but is this what police were inteded for?? How is this protecting and serving the public trust? In my personal opinion, and the opinion of a majority of the people that I have spoken with about this, a victimless crime should not even be considered a crime. Regardless, even if it is considered a crime, why do police waste their time taking radar on people driving 10 miles faster then they are supposed to be, when they could be out patrolling and preventing a possible murder or rape? Why is the police force out solve murder/rape/robbery, when it should be out trying to prevent it? When did our police force degenerate from trying to help and protect the common man, into something that is in essence a self serving money hungry political mechanism, and why has our society let this happen? Police are no longer doing what they were intended for. No more are they out to protect people, now their goal is to get more money for their city enforcing whatever law is convenient enough and will get them the most money. Why prevent a murder when there is no money in it? This is bad enough, but it is only the tip of the iceberg. With police doing racial profiling, and planting/contaminating evidence. Less than a week ago police illegally searched the car of a friend of mine. apparently he was pulled over because one of his back blinker lights was out, which he was not aware of. They asked him if he was using any drugs, and he said "no" because he hadn't been, then they asked if they could search his car, to which he responded "no". they hassled him for a while longer and then searched his car anyways. They of course found nothing, because there was nothing to find, then on top of all of that, they gave him a ticket for having the blinker out and snet him on his way. Now the dangerous criminal that my friend is required the attention of 3 police cars that were over an hour. Now you tell me, couldn't the attentions of the police been better used elsewhere during this incident, especially when there was an armed robbery of a gas staion across town at the exact same time? (I found out about the robbery later, on the news) Some sort of drastic action needs to be taken to amend this gross disregard for the public welfare. Maybe we need to amend some of the idiotic, pointless, and/or antiquated laws that our society foolishly clings to, or maybe we need a drastic restructuring of our entire legal/law enforcement system, or most likely we need a combination of both, but something must be done. I urge all Americans and everyone for that matter to think long and hard about your current law enforcement agencies, and ask yourself how well they serve their inteded purpose. You might be quite surprised by the answers you get.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:43 PM   #2
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

So you're saying that we shouldn't focus on prevention? What if the guy that was pulled over for driving too fast was going to hit a 12 year old girl named Susan and put her in a wheelchair for life?
Old 09-23-2002, 06:57 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

If you have not omitted any facts, the search was illegal and all fruits of the search, had they been garnered, would be inadmissible. 'Course your friend has to be or know a good lawyer to know this, which is how most people get screwed. To those of you who don't know, the correct answer to a search question is always "No." No matter what. Who wants them wasting your time?

I think the situation that has got AzRael so upset is inherent in the model of person we want to be a police officer. We want them zealous, overbearing, commanding, etc. - hell, they're "silver souls" right? But, that same personality type and traits are quite similar to the element we expect policemen (and women) to combat. There is, truly, little difference between the law enforcers and the lawbreakers many times. Quite simply, this is IMHO why you run across a lot of "bully" cops. Goes with the job.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:59 PM   #4
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Downunda:
So you're saying that we shouldn't focus on prevention? What if the guy that was pulled over for driving too fast was going to hit a 12 year old girl named Susan and put her in a wheelchair for life?
3 word for you 'accidents happen regardless', what if he was going 20 and hit susan, and she was in a wheelchair for life?
Old 09-23-2002, 07:09 PM   #5
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I think his point is that there is too much unsolved crime and entirely too many traffic cops. To an extent, I feel this is true. I won't argue that keeping the roads safe is important, but there seems to be a little unbalance here. The fact that traffic ticketing generates fairly easy revenue with minimal risk is obvious. If anyone expects me to believe that speed traps and large scale freeway stings are used for any other purpose, I remain skeptical. Of course, you couldn't put officers in constant mortal danger for thier entire shift and still expect them to stay at the same wages. If you tried that, we wouldn't have any police at all.

It's important to remember that while police are there to help protect and preserve order, they are under no legal obligation to do so. If they should fail to protect you they are not legally liable. I recommend that you exercise your legal right to carry a concealed weapon by obtaining the proper liscense. Would more people take their responsibility as citizens seriously, I feel crime rates would drop drastically. I also think we would be in less danger of losing a cherished american right to apathy and cowardice.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:13 PM   #6
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

its not just that particular situation, though that did get me a bit miffed, its the fact that that situation probably happens everyday, and that we have just come to accept that as the way of things. its completely ridiculous. even though they had no right to search and anything they would have found supposedly wouldn't be admissable. lets say they found some pot, and my friend is poor and can't afford the lawyers O.J. got, what then. basically its the cop's word against his, and he will lose almost every time. even though they searched and found nothing, lets say my friend was on his way to work, and he got fired because he was an hour late due to the search, what kind of justice would that be for him?
Old 09-23-2002, 07:18 PM   #7
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

I agree that not all accidents are preventable but there are ways to keep down the probability of them happening. Susan was a neighbour of mine that was hit on a sunny afternoon ten years ago. She has had bad depression and her teenage years could have been alot better had the speeding asshole been travelling the speed limit.

He got six months jailtime and lost his licence for three years. Susan is still living with the consequences.

I hear what you are saying and I'm sure that not every cop is above board, but I'm also sure that it is still the majority of law enforcement officials that are doing their job to the best of their ability.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:19 PM   #8
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

I think that in part you're right, Az. It seems like the police aren't always at their most efficient. Take for example, last year at my school. Two cops are busy busting a couple of casual kids for smoking some pot, while not two blocks away, a brawl resulting in three hospitalizations is breaking out.

I disagree that they're quite often like this. It seems that you hear a lot about harassment and whatnot on the news, but most of the cops I have witnessed are very professional and know what they're doing. They know that one wrong move and the bad guy walks, so they watch their step. Of course, it's not so hard when you've got a police force for 900 000 people that has something like 30 murders a year (very good average.) I think that everyone makes mistakes, and when some people make them (police, President of the United States ) it seems to be a lot more public and looks more widespread then it actually is.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:31 PM   #9
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Thats another topic of concern for me. namely drug laws, though thats not what i meant this thread to be about, so I'm not going to get started on that
Old 09-24-2002, 02:42 AM   #10
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Well I didnt read your entire first post, but to answer your intial question (Why the police do not do their job anymore), is because anytime they do anything the least bit psychial to anyone thats not a white hertrosexual male they get branded a racisit or its a hate crime.

To a certain degree I am with you. Crime needs to be cleaned up. But as PC is the world is today its hard to do something with out offending anyone.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge