Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2001, 03:50 AM   #41
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Basically Leo, in my life it has freed me up. I have no hangups about not doing "this or that" (even though I normally don't do "this or that" ). There is no guilt about being a failed and imperfect being, though there is humility and acknowledgement of it.

I feel as though I can enjoy life to it's fullest because of this.

when are you gonna get into a relationship? just asking, don't answer it
your life style is cool, Hugh, bet many people had told ya that. a free spirit!

I wish I can be like you, HOWEVER, I love what I have now, hehehehe
Old 10-11-2001, 07:11 AM   #42
Epona
Zartan

Tuor, I think this is a very good question to ask, and hope that we can all keep it friendly! I think we are mature enough to try And I'm in a good mood which helps!

Well, I'm an atheist. There is no god, or afterlife, and the bible was written by humans - with many of the old testament stories serving purposes of trying to find meaning in the (often cruel) world in which people found themselves, but also to give structure, morals and rules necessary in order that people could live together in society, society being essential for human survival being the puny creatures we are individually! - although I would argue that morals need not be religiously based.

Even though I don't believe in god, I do find other people's beliefs interesting, since for a lot of people it is what makes them 'tick'.
For example, I don't agree with Liliara at all, her views seem very strange to me and we are kind of at opposite ends of the spectrum, but I do like to find out what her views are, and maybe what led her to them.

Now, I hope I don't get flak for this - although I understand that I may be thought of as a hipocrite (how the heck do you spell that?), but although I am an atheist, I did go to church (Church of England) every Sunday for 10 years when I was younger. I was christened by my own choice when I was 7 - my parents weren't christian, so hadn't had me christened as a baby - and I was confirmed when I was 13.

Did I believe in god then? No. I went to church because I loved to sing, and I loved singing in the church choir. Even as a child I found great inspiration in religious music, (although I do find some hymns quite dull) - not because it inspired in me belief in, or love of god, but because others were inspired enough to write beautiful music in praise of him.

I hope that makes some sort of sense, I know it is a bit unusual!

I stopped going when I decided that pretending to pray just so I could sing was a bit silly.
I'm sorry, I know some of you will likely be highly offended, or think I'm completely mad.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-11-2001, 01:46 PM   #43
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
Hey G'Kar...I just agreed with you again. Damn. This is getting to be a habit.

Having grown up in a family that was split between Irish Catholicism and Southern Baptism I was exposed to some...interesting views.(And boy, were the family reunions fun! ) When I became old enough to start forming my own opinion, I started sampling other religions. Mormonism(Creepy!), Seventh Day Adventists(Giving up Saturdays SUCKED!), Roman Catholicism(Pew Aerobics{STAND, SIT, KNEEL, PRAY, SING, SIT, STAND, PRAY...REST}). A few others. Got really disillusioned by all their views of spitiruality, and developed a severe abhorrence for religion. Got into Eastern philosophy, then found the philosophy which defines my current spititual path, Taoism.

Anyway...that's a rather rambling answer. Sorry. NyQuil is starting to kick in. Hope it helped/made sense Tuor.

You consider yourself a Taoist? Wow.

That does not fit into my perception of you at all. Hmmmm . . . must step back and recompute . . .