Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2002, 09:59 AM   #21
WillowIX
Apophis

LMAO animal! Great joke! But launching dead chickens at airplanes? Thank god I´m not a pilot
Old 11-16-2002, 02:23 PM   #22
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Hmmm... Yea, I think I saw something about this 'chicken testing' on Discovery a while ago on that flight programme... I think. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2002, 04:36 PM   #23
The Lilarcor
Elminster

Well with the chicken and space race stories, I gather a few things
1. We're too literal
2. We don't read instructions
3. We think too hard and thus make a billion dollar pen while russia makes a pencil
4. The US Scientists have taken being "the smartest of the world" to their heads and thus anyone can outsmart them
5. people of the united states like making lists like this.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:39 PM   #24
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Woo, reminds me of another story I heard: Back in the Space Race the Americans spent billions creating a pen that could write upside down, in water, without gravity etc, because they weren't sure what the effects of non-gravity would be on a pen.
The Russians took a pencil.
Lol too funny. That just shows how much money America has to waste.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:40 PM   #25
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
LMAO animal! Great joke! But launching dead chickens at airplanes? Thank god I´m not a pilot
Oh come on, I'd just love to announce Please Fasten you seatbelts, ladies and gentlmen, we are running into some dead chickens. We will update you in 5 minutes
Old 11-16-2002, 05:11 PM   #26
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I've put an order down for one "Anti Air Craft Ballistic Poultry Launcher".

I spent 50 more quid and got the added "Kentuckey Fried" feature
Old 11-17-2002, 01:12 PM   #27
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Woo, reminds me of another story I heard: Back in the Space Race the Americans spent billions creating a pen that could write upside down, in water, without gravity etc, because they weren't sure what the effects of non-gravity would be on a pen.
The Russians took a pencil.
It occurs to me that the Americans might have conciously avoided taking pencils for a very simple reason - pencils have to be sharpened. Flying graphite and wood shavings could get into vital spacecraft components, and perhaps bridge a switch causing critical malfunctions (such as a retro firing at exactly the wrong time!)

And mechanical pencils have their failings, too. Aside from broken graphite fragments potentially being released, they're still dependant on gravity to a certain extent - to feed new leads into the tip after the old one is used up.

edit> and the russians weren't the most safety concious of the bunch when sending people out into space!

[ 11-17-2002, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Sir Krustin ]